Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 08:49 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,701,180 times

Advertisements

My wife is getting a new car. Her Needs:

Price 35k Max 32,33K better
front wheel drive(she worried about rear wheel in snow)
4 doors
wants a smooth quiet car, not looking for anything too sporty.

The number 1 choices seems to be an Avalon. Not too crazy about GM, but would certainly consider them.

She wants a car that is very comfortable on the Highway. It also must be a fairly large car.

Any others we should consider?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 09:38 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,672,468 times
If considering the Avalon, which is a good car, I think you also need to look at the Buick LaCrosse. They base at around $30k and the entry level models this year now feature GM's eAssist system which boosts MPG to 25 city and 36 highway which is great in a large car. They are fantastic compliant and quiet highway cruisers and the materials and quality is, IMO, a cut above cars like the Avalon. Staying south of $35k you should be able to get some common options like leather, heated power seats, one-touch windows, bluetooth, etc.

Also in that price range (pretty much your max budget) you can get into a base or hybrid Lincoln MKZ. Of the two the hybrid is probably the better choice and you get 41 city and 36 highway. The equipment list is a little lighter then the LaCrosse for the same money, but it's still a very well done interior with standard leather, heated seats, etc. The only extra would be a slight upcharge for Sync which would get you bluetooth connectivity and voice control of all functions. The MKZ isn't really much more then a gussied up Fusion, but it's ride is better balanced and they are incredibly quiet on the highway, one of the quietest I have ever been in. The last thing I would say on the MKZ is that you can get them 1 year old and with low miles, fully loaded well within your price range. The nice thing on a CPO purchase from Lincoln is that the CPO warranty is better then the new warranty and is 6 years / 100k miles bumper-to-bumper.

Along the lines of the Avalon you can you look at the new Taurus. It's a large car, rides great on the highway and has a standard V6, so while the MPG is down, the power is up (the MKZ non-hybrids are also V6's and it's an option on the LaCrosse). You could get a fully dressed Taurus Limited right at your comfortable price point (~$33k).

Those would be the three I would look at as an Avalon competitor and they are all either FWD or AWD, so would meet her needs in that department. If you were willing to go used CPO cars, a lot more opens up and I would recommend looking at the Lexus ES350, which loaded and a couple years old should be in that price range. They are exceedingly comfortable and excellent highway cars. The CPO program is great and you can't beat the service from a Lexus dealer.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:43 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,000,438 times
There are literally dozens of choices within those criteria!

Old 05-03-2012, 10:18 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,495,230 times
Good feedback Goat, but you know those MKZs are not getting ANYWHERES near what they are rated at.... Best Ive ever seen out of a dozen different cars and different drivers is 36mpg... Most average closer to 33-34mpg... They do drive wonderfully though, and sync is some of the best voice command out there, unless you get a "stubborn" one, and in that case, no matter of reflashing or updates by the dealer ever helps. Might as well sell the car or not ever using that feature if you're one of the few unlucky ones that comes across problems with it.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:27 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,120,439 times
I second what NJGoat said even though I find the MKZ grill hideous -- a true buttahface.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:34 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,672,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
Good feedback Goat, but you know those MKZs are not getting ANYWHERES near what they are rated at.... Best Ive ever seen out of a dozen different cars and different drivers is 36mpg... Most average closer to 33-34mpg... They do drive wonderfully though, and sync is some of the best voice command out there, unless you get a "stubborn" one, and in that case, no matter of reflashing or updates by the dealer ever helps. Might as well sell the car or not ever using that feature if you're one of the few unlucky ones that comes across problems with it.
Very true on the mileage of the hybrid Fusions/MKZ's. They still get good mileage for their class (comparing to non-hybrids), but it's not the typical hybrid meet or even beat the EPA numbers and definitely behind the Camry. I'd personally consider a 36 MPG average great on those cars as the non-hybrids are going to be in the mid to maybe upper 20's. The compelling thing on the MKZ hybrid is that it costs the same as the base V6 version so there is almost no reason, IMO, not to get the hybrid because while the V6 is peppy, an MKZ isn't exactly a sports car.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:42 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,693,098 times
I'd echo what NJGoat suggested and add in a few of my own.

It all really depends on if you're willing to consider a very lightly used CPO vehicle. Honestly, a low $30K budget is in the territory where you could get a one year old vehicle that is very well-appointed or a brand new vehicle that doesn't have all the bells and whistles. Personally, I'd get a nice CPO vehicle for that price.

Big, comfortable, front wheel drive (all-wheel drive?). It sounds like your criteria would really match well with these:

2011 Cadillac DTS
Cars for Sale: 2011 Cadillac DTS Premium in Prescott, AZ 86301: Sedan Details - 318193908 - AutoTrader.com

2012 Ford Taurus Limited or used 2011 Taurus SHO
Cars for Sale: 2012 Ford Taurus Limited in Prescott, AZ 86305: Sedan Details - 318411477 - AutoTrader.com

2011 Lincoln MKS
Cars for Sale: 2011 Lincoln MKS in Mesa, AZ 85210: Sedan Details - 320352216 - AutoTrader.com

The Lexus ES350 is a nice vehicle on the used market but it's slightly smaller than the other offerings. Personally, I think the Caddy DTS is a bargain for about $30K with a V8 engine and a bunch of other bells and whistles. Although the Taurus SHO would be a good competitor for the price, it isn't a Cadillac.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:24 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,162,494 times
Unless the OP is older than 60 the DTS shouldn't be on the list. Jeez it is a comfort car but there is no way I would choose it.

Otherwise the suggestions above are solid. The Avalon is an excellent car. Excellent reliability and comfort.

You might be able to get into a Hyundai Genesis V6 for that money. Incredible car for the money. The 2012 Hyundai Azera is another to consider at a bit lower price.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:36 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,693,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Unless the OP is older than 60 the DTS shouldn't be on the list. Jeez it is a comfort car but there is no way I would choose it.

Otherwise the suggestions above are solid. The Avalon is an excellent car. Excellent reliability and comfort.

You might be able to get into a Hyundai Genesis V6 for that money. Incredible car for the money. The 2012 Hyundai Azera is another to consider at a bit lower price.
But if they're considering an Avalon, it's about the same demographic market as the Caddy DTS. I don't think I've ever seen anyone under the age of 55 driving an Avalon around and if they want a big, comfortable sedan...you really CAN'T beat the DTS for those criteria. It's pretty much like driving your sofa around except the sofa has heated/cooled seats with a massage feature and 18 way power adjustments.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:06 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,620,458 times
Take a look at the new Hyundai Azera. It's around $32~34k fully loaded. It's like a shortened version of their Genesis, replete with soft leather, fine fit & finishing & tons of comfort/techno gadgets. I saw it at the LA Auto Show and thought it goes toe to toe with the Lexus ES (except without the badge & the higher price).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive