Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 09:23 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
This will only lead to disappointment. "Everyone on the interwebs said I could drive 10 MPH over the limit and I got a ticket for only being 5 MPH over the limit. I got screwed".
very true. it really depends on the officer in question, and the conditions at the time. i have known cops that would pull you over for doing 20 over the limit, and give you a warning. i have known other cops that would pull you over for 1 over, and give you several tickets.

also if driving conditions are not the best, then the leeway tends to go down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 09:28 AM

774 posts, read 2,601,989 times
When I drive the interstates I typically set the Cruise at 10 over. I've gone by literally hundreds cops in dozens of states and never been stopped at that speed. I never even slow down

I was pulled over once for 92 in a 75 and given a warning in FL. Another time I had a cop pull up beside me in UT. I looked at the speedo and I was just a few ticks over 100. He kept going.

In resident areas 5 over will and should get you stopped. It the city of Chicago I think you have to hit a cop car to get a traffic ticket and thats only if you hit him hard enough to spill the coffee or wake hit up.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:31 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DELL37 View Post
When I drive the interstates I typically set the Cruise at 10 over. I've gone by literally hundreds cops in dozens of states and never been stopped at that speed. I never even slow down

I was pulled over once for 92 in a 75 and given a warning in FL. Another time I had a cop pull up beside me in UT. I looked at the speedo and I was just a few ticks over 100. He kept going.

In resident areas 5 over will and should get you stopped. It the city of Chicago I think you have to hit a cop car to get a traffic ticket and thats only if you hit him hard enough to spill the coffee or wake hit up.
in ohio ten over will get you stopped for a conversation with the constabulary.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:47 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,737,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
What's 'acceptable'???
5 MPH over speed limit?
10 MPH over speed limit?
I read an article that says "most police officers will not stop a motorist for speeding unless he or she is traveling 5 to 10 mph over the limit."

5 over isn't much.
Whats been your experience?
In Kentucky seems to be 10mph leeway along the I-65 corridor near Louisville and on Louisville freeways.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:21 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,709,551 times
I've blown by cops doing 80 in a 65 here in GA and I assumed, they would come after me and they did not.

I know in Georgia, you have to be going over 11 mph to be stopped for ticket unless it is a school zone. Points don't start here until you are 15 mph over the limit as well.

I've gone pass cops in 55 mph doing 70 to 75 and I haven't been stopped yet.

Only ticket, I've ever received was for a 61 in a 45 mph.

VA is hell. I don't go more than 5 over while driving through their state.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:33 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
I've driven hundreds of times in Ohio, both on I-70 and on the Turnpike. I drive the same way I do elsewhere, going about 75-80 (mostly back when it was 65 limit). I do slow down when I see the cops, sure, but I assume they're using radar so they would have known my prior speed usually some time before I see them. I've never been stopped there.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:37 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
VA is hell. I don't go more than 5 over while driving through their state.
My first ever ticket was in Virginia years ago as a teenager. It was 11 over, 76 in 65. But I've driven a few times since then and didn't feel I needed to moderate from my usual driving. I don't drive in VA very much though. PA, OH, MD, WV, NY, CT, MA, I hit those multiple times a year usually (sometimes I might not get OH) and drive them all the same way.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:09 AM

774 posts, read 2,601,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
Interesting you should say that. I cross OH several time a year on 70, 80 and up and 75 and have never been stopped there and I've gone by dozens of troopers right past the arch on 70. They've never given me a second look.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:23 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,676,642 times
ON open interstate, troopers will seldom, if ever pop you unless you are going 13+ mph over the posted limit. Exceptions being in construction zone, or when traffic is congested, and you are obviously moving significantly faster than the general traffic flow.

A missouri trooper once told me state cops have a saying - "Eight you're great, nine, you're mine."
So, it may be just how they are feeling that day.

OFF the interstates, all bets are off, but generally 5 mph or less over the limit, outside school or construction zone will be safe.
Though the margin decreases as you approach lower limits. 30 in a 25 might get you popped, where 50 in a 45 might be safe.

For my personal experience, I've never gotten a ticket for going less that 15 over the limit.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:37 AM

297 posts, read 740,623 times
In my experience, being honest with them have always led me to a warning or a reduced ticket.

I tend to run my cars with no front plate and NY is a two-plate state. I give them either the "I can't put a front plate in this kind of car without obstructing airflow" or "i bought it from the dealer this way; they ordered a bracket for me". Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Up until last year, I used to regularly speed but one time I ended up going 96 in a 55, which in most counties bars an automatic suspension. I happened to be very lucky that the trooper was a GM fan and he let me off with a no front plate ticket...he said he had to give me something.

After that time, i stick up to 7 over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive