U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 05:10 PM

31 posts, read 57,312 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I do allot of driving, about 40k or better a year. I was trading every two years but always being upside down when it comes to the trade.

It seems that nothing exists that would put me right side up every two years unless i put a boat load down. so with this said, I will need a vehicle for the long haul.

My preference is an suv small to mid size, comfort is a must and reliability is a no brainer. I will consider a price tag of about $35k. I will do a car if that's what it comes down to.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 05:52 PM

774 posts, read 2,342,268 times
If it absolutly must be an SUV I would recommend you look at the Toyota highlander. If you can do with a car the Camry is a very good choice. In my line of work I and my co workers routinely drive 40-50K miles per yr.

Four of my coworkers own Camrys of different variations. The oldest is an 03 with a tick over 300K on the odo. The newest is a 12 SE. There are also a number of corollas but they are a bit small if you are over 6ft and not the most comfortable cars to begin with.

Old 05-05-2012, 06:18 PM

3,135 posts, read 10,504,669 times
How are you reimbursed for the mileage? The standard $.55/mile? Do they pay for the gas?

Lets just say you get paid $.55 a mile for 30,000 miles a year for work related mileage. That's over $16,500 a year. If you get 25mpg on average over the 40,000 miles, gas at $4.00/gal, that's $6,400 in gas. So you got about $10,000 leftover for maintenance and your payment.

If you get reimbursed by the mileage, get a Toyota Prius for $25k. The gas savings will add up like crazy and you'll still get $12k for it in 2 years, so $13k to drive for 2yrs/80k miles. If you can average 45MPG, your gas will bill will be $3,600/year. That's about $3,000 in savings over a car that gets 25MPG.

Old 05-05-2012, 06:35 PM

5,721 posts, read 16,161,104 times
Most any of the diesel 4 banger cars are going to do well in reliability and fuel mileage. BMW makes one but finding one over here is tough. If gas is more your wants, a Focus is a real reliable platform and fuel mileage, if you have a clue how to drive, can beat the Prius. My girls Focus gets 44 mpgs all the time hiway and no resale issues either. I'd avoid the 4 banger Escape unless buying one of the new ones- they're problematic. Same with the GM Trailblaser. The Chrysler Penstar engines are supposed to be reliable but they are fairly new and don't have much history yet. If a 4 door truck is more to your liking, a Nissan Frontier is the pick of the smaller midsize trucks. Fuel mileage will just break 20 hiway though. The Nissan 4.0 V6 all but lives on the Wards 10 Best Engines list and considering it's coupled to the same transmission as the 5.6 V8 it should hold up fine. Finding a used one around is impossible as folks don't trade them in. If a 4 banger car like a Fusion makes sense for your needs, they are a great car and get fabulous mileage. The 4 banger has a surprising amount of power in that platform. The Mazda Speed 3 or 5 are great cars as well.
There's a lot of cars out there that get decent mileage, reliable, and would perform function to your liking. Find one by test driving as many as you can, look up the reliability records at Edmunds and go for it.
Used Cars - Edmunds.com

Old 05-05-2012, 06:46 PM

370 posts, read 1,468,748 times
Recently looking at small SUV. Obviously Honda CR-V and Toyota RAV. We also took a good look at the new Prius V. It comes in several models but one of them is the wagon version-Good room, good mileage under $30,000 and, with the miles you are driving, the only way to recoup some of the extra cost of those little buggers! Of course, not quite as good of mileage for those long highway road trips you seem to be taking.

Old 05-05-2012, 06:48 PM

11,029 posts, read 25,753,796 times
VW + TDI (direct injected turbo diesel)= perfect car/small SUV for yor needs and outstanding freeway milegage that put all hybrids to shame...

Old 05-05-2012, 06:50 PM

11,029 posts, read 25,753,796 times

Meet the Volkswagens - Jetta TDI Meets Prius - YouTube

Old 05-05-2012, 06:56 PM

15,458 posts, read 26,832,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i drive View Post
Hello everyone,

I do allot of driving, about 40k or better a year. I was trading every two years but always being upside down when it comes to the trade.

It seems that nothing exists that would put me right side up every two years unless i put a boat load down. so with this said, I will need a vehicle for the long haul..

First, I hope that you are being seriously reimbursed for your mileage. I have seen clients driving 2,000 miles a month and their employer reimburses them $300 a month.

If you are driving 40k miles a year (several of my drivers are doing 60-70k), you are destroying a vehicle. Personally, I would look for one of the smaller Toyota vehicles - RAV 4 and driving it about four years. Once the car gets about 150k miles, they become less reliable. You will get better than average gas mileage.

I have heard a lot of great things about Ford. However, my wife's 2010 Ford Taurus with all of 40k miles has been at the dealership TWELVE days over the past two years with brake and transmission issues. In comparison, I have a fleet of RAM Trucks and Chrysler 300s and don't have a vehcile that has been down more than a day or two. (No recommendations as the gas mileage is very poor.)

Old 05-05-2012, 08:16 PM

8,402 posts, read 22,170,977 times
A buddy and his wife are in a similar situation, driving 35K to 40K a year. They've put over 200K on two Volvos, a Lexus, and are headed that same way in a Venza and the Matrix he just bought to drive. He drives them until there's relatively little value left. Between the lower price of the Matrix, cheaper gas, and better MPG, he came to the conclusion that this is one of the best options for him. And he doesn't buy new any more.

Being upside down every two years is a matter of not putting enough money down when you buy. BUT that's just shuffling money. The car is worth the same amount regardless of what you do or don't owe on it.

Old 05-05-2012, 11:47 PM

6,664 posts, read 28,587,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i drive View Post
Hello everyone,

Sounds like you are leasing to me. Leasing is only profitable to large businesses.

A Volvo will last much longer than your 2 year/80K mileage. As well as most other vehicles in these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive