Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 08:16 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,238,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Samurai View Post
Please execuse an ignorant foreigner... but what's with this debate about the gas prices are being "so high" in the USA? I mean... internationally seen, the prices in USA are very low... here in Sweden for instance, it's almost 16 Swedish crowns per liter (7 crowns = $1), and one gallon is around 3.8 liters... see how lucky you are?
+1, I totally agree with you. No one here has a right to complain about gas prices. I saw the steep rise in 2007 and bought a very fuel efficient car that I still have. I made sure to have a job close to home. Even know I only made just over minimum wage, gas prices have had a minimal effect on my life for the last 5 years. It is the people who did not, and still will not change with the times who constantly b itch and complain about it that are the problem. They should be ashamed of themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 08:31 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
+1, I totally agree with you. No one here has a right to complain about gas prices. I saw the steep rise in 2007 and bought a very fuel efficient car that I still have. I made sure to have a job close to home. Even know I only made just over minimum wage, gas prices have had a minimal effect on my life for the last 5 years. It is the people who did not, and still will not change with the times who constantly b itch and complain about it that are the problem. They should be ashamed of themselves.
Yeah yeah -- I ordered my life to minimize transportation headaches. Live in the city, got a job in the city -- and then they moved my job 20 miles out into the suburbs. But my wife still works in the city. So what's the solution in your easy little world?

Old 05-17-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Yeah yeah -- I ordered my life to minimize transportation headaches. Live in the city, got a job in the city -- and then they moved my job 20 miles out into the suburbs. But my wife still works in the city. So what's the solution in your easy little world?
Do you drive a car that gets 35 miles per gallon like me? Even with your situation my car still would not kill me on gas. I you are driving 200 miles a week that would be 6 gallons or $25 a week. I hardly think that is expensive.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:29 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,222,859 times
Quote:
Please execuse an ignorant foreigner... but what's with this debate about the gas prices are being "so high" in the USA? I mean... internationally seen, the prices in USA are very low... here in Sweden for instance, it's almost 16 Swedish crowns per liter (7 crowns = $1), and one gallon is around 3.8 liters... see how lucky you are?
This isn't Sweden. We've been used to gas at a much lower price, and that has been changing, for no good reason that anyone can justify. I'm sure many people in the world don't have it as good as we do here in some way, but that doesn't mean I'm OK with any of that changing to our detriment.

Although I have no idea what it could be, but I'm sure there are low priced or easily available things in Sweden, that if they suddenly spiked in price or unavailability you'd be unhappy, even if they were still below the overall world price.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Do you drive a car that gets 35 miles per gallon like me? Even with your situation my car still would not kill me on gas. I you are driving 200 miles a week that would be 6 gallons or $25 a week. I hardly think that is expensive.
You won't be getting 35 miles a gallon in this traffic, I can promise you that.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:57 PM

Quote:
You won't be getting 35 miles a gallon in this traffic, I can promise you that.
31 city/41 highway. I was assuming that you could take the freeway for most of the way.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:10 PM

Quote:
31 city/41 highway. I was assuming that you could take the freeway for most of the way.
1) Unfortunately, much of the "freeway" I take isn't free, and 2) much of it also transforms from "a freeway" to "a ribbon of parking" during rush hour. It frequently takes me an hour to get home. And that's only because I live close to the city's edge. If I lived near downtown, it would take 90 minutes to 2 hours.

Old 05-18-2012, 02:00 AM

85 posts, read 123,413 times
Quote:
The difference is, many Europeans have alternatives to personal cars as a means of everyday transportation. Many Americans don't because much of our built environment -- including our transportation infrastructure -- was developed after the car had already become ubiquitous. So when our fuel prices skyrocket, most of us have no choice but to eat it.
That public transportation part... I speak on the behalf of Sweden, for that's the country I know best nowadays. Here only ONE city is in top priority, and that's Stockholm, where the busses go every 5 minutes during the day, and every 15 at night I think it was... and about the same with subway trains.

Where I live now, in the geographic part called Norrland, some people are lucky to have a bus leave every 50 minutes. And the bus lines are not adjusted so that people can get to work on time, in many cases. And bus cards are out of the question, for they're around 500 crowns a month, and only lets you travel between two bus stations. So that means, if you live in Kåge township, North of my hometown, and work in the village of Lövånger which is South of town, you need two bus cards, which makes 1000 crowns a month. The distance is almost 39 miles. It's not reasonable... And there are people here who are in that situation. In this matter, the USA is far superior.

Old 05-18-2012, 06:21 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,513,021 times
Quote:
It's not reasonable... And there are people here who are in that situation. In this matter, the USA is far superior.
I couldn't find Kage on wikipedia, but Lovanger has 761 people in it, according to the site. Most small communities in the US have no transit whatsoever, and those that do certainly wouldn't operate on a 50-minute headway. ... maybe 3 or 4 trips per day, instead. S

So whether or not we are superior in that regard is debatable.

Old 05-18-2012, 06:57 AM

Quote:

Where I live now, in the geographic part called Norrland, some people are lucky to have a bus leave every 50 minutes.
Whereas in the vast majority of exurban and rural America, buses leave every zero minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive