Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 04:37 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,016,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Money.

First.
Get a business Lic.
A LLC should do.
Next get a EIN
Find a location. Is the location Zoned for this activity?
Buy tools and supply's.

Then call your Insurance agent and tell him you want insurance to cover your car detailing business.
He'll write you up a commercial liability policy.

Figure out your overhead and what your profit margin will be.
Next, are your prices competitive for the service?
Will you still make money?

Advertising. How? Cost?

Can you do it all alone?
Employe (s)
workman's comp insurance, pay role.

The best advice given so far is to first get a job doing this kind of work.
Try auto body shops.
Start as the clean up guy and show interest in the detailing or try a auto dealership some of them may still clean trade in's themselves.

With out some experience detailing and or with running a business it's going to be a uphill battle at best.

Lastly Advertising.
I don't know I want to open an automotive shop not a detailing shop. I'm just want to detailing as a side thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 08:08 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,177,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
I don't know I want to open an automotive shop not a detailing shop. I'm just want to detailing as a side thing.
What do you think is the difference between an automotive shop and a detailing shop when it comes to the business of the business?

Snofarmer's list of essentials is universal in this frame.

If you are unable to grasp this concept, then you are a long way from moving from an entry level tech to a business owner ... of any business.

Veyron, if your business model is a guy doing $100 details and not operating as a legitimate business; ie, license, zoning, equipment, insurance ... you will be setting yourself up for a potential financial loss (as well as other potential tangles with tax authorities, zoning authorities, etc) that can well devastate your ability to be in or survive the business.

The fellow making $1,000 per weekend isn't doing it on $100 details by himself; he's got to have employees and equipment and even then, it may be his gross billings and not his net income that he's telling you about. Big difference ....

Here's another tip: Don't believe all the numbers you hear tossed about by anybody with a business unless you can get access to their business books and review them with a professional who knows what to look for. Tax returns help, too, to evaluate the real numbers.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:18 PM

29 posts, read 140,779 times
Quote:
What part of don't try to do this on the side are you not picking up on?

Old 05-21-2012, 08:20 PM

If you need to supplement your primary income you should be looking for a part time job not a part time business.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:26 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,170,667 times
The tax man (irs) does not care if it is a "side business".
The city/state you live in wants it's sales tax and does not care if it is a side business.(some do not tax services some do, some only tax supplys and or products) Do you know?
Your neighbors may not like the traffic or your business. (zoning)
Mess up a paint job, now wouldn't insurance be nice.

No one cares if it's just a side job.

Give it a try, go rouge.
In no time the city will come and knock on your door and want to see your business Lic.
Why?
Because your competition does not like the new guy on the corner doing detail work as a lowballer or as a illegitimate business that is not playing on the sane field. (They turned you in).

It's a dog eat dog world, don't get caught wearing milk~bone underwear.

Good luck.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossfitNut View Post
If you need to supplement your primary income you should be looking for a part time job not a part time business.
There are no Part time jobs.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
The tax man (irs) does not care if it is a "side business".
The city/state you live in wants it's sales tax and does not care if it is a side business.(some do not tax services some do, some only tax supplys and or products) Do you know?
Your neighbors may not like the traffic or your business. (zoning)
Mess up a paint job, now wouldn't insurance be nice.

No one cares if it's just a side job.

Give it a try, go rouge.
In no time the city will come and knock on your door and want to see your business Lic.
Why?
Because your competition does not like the new guy on the corner doing detail work as a lowballer or as a illegitimate business that is not playing on the sane field. (They turned you in).

It's a dog eat dog world, don't get caught wearing milk~bone underwear.

Good luck.

I won't get caught. I'm just washing my cousins cars in my driveway every weekend. Whats wrong with that?

Old 05-21-2012, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
What do you think is the difference between an automotive shop and a detailing shop when it comes to the business of the business?

Snofarmer's list of essentials is universal in this frame.

If you are unable to grasp this concept, then you are a long way from moving from an entry level tech to a business owner ... of any business.

Veyron, if your business model is a guy doing $100 details and not operating as a legitimate business; ie, license, zoning, equipment, insurance ... you will be setting yourself up for a potential financial loss (as well as other potential tangles with tax authorities, zoning authorities, etc) that can well devastate your ability to be in or survive the business.

The fellow making $1,000 per weekend isn't doing it on $100 details by himself; he's got to have employees and equipment and even then, it may be his gross billings and not his net income that he's telling you about. Big difference ....

Here's another tip: Don't believe all the numbers you hear tossed about by anybody with a business unless you can get access to their business books and review them with a professional who knows what to look for. Tax returns help, too, to evaluate the real numbers.
You have some good points.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:29 PM

Quote:
There are no Part time jobs.
No part time jobs doing something you want to do or no part time jobs at all.

I work a main job that I love and pays okay, and 3 part time as needed jobs that I can't stand and pay sucks. But I have to do what I have to do.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:31 PM

Quote:
I won't get caught. I'm just washing my cousins cars in my driveway every weekend. Whats wrong with that?
If you lie to the previously mentioned authorities you will dig an even deeper hole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive