Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you hate the most?
Volkswagen 8 12.31%
Ford 9 13.85%
Chevrolet 21 32.31%
Toyota 11 16.92%
Honda 6 9.23%
Nissan 6 9.23%
BMW 8 12.31%
Lexus 7 10.77%
Mercedes-Benz 3 4.62%
Kia/Hyundai 20 30.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 01:48 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,337,447 times

Advertisements

If you want to add something about why you do or don't "hate" a brand of car feel free. All other posts that are not related to the thread will be deleted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 02:03 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,678,860 times
I really can't get past how many of you suddenly decided to become philosophical and ponder the meaning and appropriate application of the word "hate"...serisously, it's just a word.

With that said, I hate Toyota...

I hate that they produce soulless vehicles.

I hate that they reduced cars to appliances and made most Americans think of them that way.

I hate that they make people measure performance in MPG instead of acceleration and cornering.

I hate the way people slavishly worship them and hold them up as some paragon of automotive wonder.

I hate how they have managed to convince people that their cars are so much better then everyone elses to the point that people think they will run on salt water and bull****.

I hate how they protect their image at the expense of peoples lives.

I hate that they have somehow convinced people that a massive auto conglomerate stripping the world of resources and deriving the lions share of their profits from fuel sucking SUV's is somehow "green and responsible".

Most of all I hate the fact that despite the fact I hate them, they still make some cars that I find myself considering as they are a good match for my needs and when people ask for honest opinions, there are times I recommend cars from them because they are the best match for what the person wants.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:54 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,648,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
hyundai and kia , fairly reliable but souless , interior has a synethic plastic feel to it

not a big fan of nissan either , dull and not as reliable as thier great japaneese rival toyota , perfer honda to either

american = i own a nee - sann

european = i own a niss - ann
I'm with you on Nissan. Overpriced and nothing special about them.

I don't really "hate" any car brand. I don't like some brands as much as others, but I'm not stuck to a brand. I don't even like the whole Ford vs. GM argument. Some years, Ford makes better cars some years Chevy/GM is better...and that even depends on what specific vehicles. Some brands only one or two models even interest me, while the rest I could care less about.

Old 05-23-2012, 04:01 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,904,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
I just can't deal with the ugly, antiquated Ford logo. It just reminds me of a backward company with horrible cars from a decade or two ago.
My problem with it (and also Chevrolet) is that the darn thing just keeps getting bigger and bigger. The Ford oval is about the size of a dinner plate on the F-Series and on the Ranger it is almost the width of the license plate. Tacky. If I had one the first thing I'd do with it is have it taken off.

Chevrolet has the same problem, and the gold bowtie is even tackier and uglier. I'd go buy a GMC instead. I did like the red bowtie from the late 80s-early 90s.

I chose Chevrolet for this poll because I believe Chevrolet as a brand to be damaged goods. They sold too much lowest bidder junk for too long. Now they want to be taken seriously and want to separate you from $24K for a new '13 Malibu. I don't mind having a lowest bidder rental special, but I don't want to pay the prices GM is asking for new Chevys. Chevrolet's brand identity has got to be down there with Hyundai and Kia. In the rest of the world, Chevrolet is pretty much all rebadged Daewoo-type cars. I don't think they really use the Chevrolet name at all overseas marketing Camaros and Corvettes.

I would have, however, chosen Dodge, had it been offered. They're the most likely to be seen parked on the front lawn in these parts. The pickups are also the most likely to be seen with front end damage in the wintertime due to the aggressive drivers. Dodge sells a lot of lowest bidder junk, but at least Chrysler still does a lot of discounting. Dodge, to me, is the Kia of US nameplates- "got a job and 199 dollars?" (That's how they used to market Spectras and Rios around here.)

Old 05-23-2012, 04:08 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,478,763 times
I don't really hate any of them but if I had to pick, I'd go with Hyundai for their annoying commercials.

How is our perception of what we "hate" gonna influence your buying decision anyways?

Old 05-23-2012, 04:08 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,387,300 times
Not hate but I will never buy another GM or Chrysler for as long as I live. I have no respect for a company that runs itself into the ground, scre*s over the public, gets bailed out and doesn't learn from their mistakes

Old 05-24-2012, 06:48 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,287,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Not hate but I will never buy another GM or Chrysler for as long as I live. I have no respect for a company that runs itself into the ground, scre*s over the public, gets bailed out and doesn't learn from their mistakes
We've gone over it before, but GM and Chrysler were "bailed out" due to the BANKING failure. Businesses run on credit, especially large manufacturing businesses. Ford hocked everying INCLUDING the logo that so many are hating on to gain credit when the banking dried up for everyone. GM and Chrysler were unable to do so in time, and the banks stopped lending to EVERYONE, large and small (from major car companies down to small construction companies, and everything in between). Since the loss of so many jobs (not just in the companies themselves, but ALL SUPPORTING BUSINESSES) woudo be huge, it was deemed necessary to step in. Had NOTHING to do with any failures of the companies themselves, and had not Ford got lucky with getting credit before the banks failed entirely, they woudl have been in the same position. GM had already figured out their product was lacking and was turning that around long before the banking meltdown. Chrysler less so, because they went though three different owners. Now, with Fiat ownership, they are a completely different company than when they were owned by Daimler (who simply took a profitable company and sucked all the cash reserves out of it) and Cerberus (who managed to make cars on no cash, but got the comapny profitable enough to have Fiat buy it).

But just so you know, MOST major car comapnies worldwide exist on the bakcing of their respective governments. For example, VW is largely owned by the German government, Toyota and Honda both exist on Japanese government handouts as well. Nissan is part of Renalut and gets money from the French government.

So no, GM and Chrysler didn't screw over the public, nor did they run themselves into the ground (well, Daimler did run Chrysler pretty badly which means the only reason Mercedes succeeded is they stole cash from Chrysler), and they DID learn from their mistakes (GM learned way before the bailout and was on it's way back to the top already, and Fiat has turned Chrysler around quite nicely with a much better mix of product of much better quality. Funny how having money can make that sort of difference).

Simply put, your anger is misplaced. It should be aimed directly at the banks that caused the entire financial meltdown of the late 2000s.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:38 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,387,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
We've gone over it before, but GM and Chrysler were "bailed out" due to the BANKING failure. Businesses run on credit, especially large manufacturing businesses. Ford hocked everying INCLUDING the logo that so many are hating on to gain credit when the banking dried up for everyone. GM and Chrysler were unable to do so in time, and the banks stopped lending to EVERYONE, large and small (from major car companies down to small construction companies, and everything in between). Since the loss of so many jobs (not just in the companies themselves, but ALL SUPPORTING BUSINESSES) woudo be huge, it was deemed necessary to step in. Had NOTHING to do with any failures of the companies themselves, and had not Ford got lucky with getting credit before the banks failed entirely, they woudl have been in the same position. GM had already figured out their product was lacking and was turning that around long before the banking meltdown. Chrysler less so, because they went though three different owners. Now, with Fiat ownership, they are a completely different company than when they were owned by Daimler (who simply took a profitable company and sucked all the cash reserves out of it) and Cerberus (who managed to make cars on no cash, but got the comapny profitable enough to have Fiat buy it).

But just so you know, MOST major car comapnies worldwide exist on the bakcing of their respective governments. For example, VW is largely owned by the German government, Toyota and Honda both exist on Japanese government handouts as well. Nissan is part of Renalut and gets money from the French government.

So no, GM and Chrysler didn't screw over the public, nor did they run themselves into the ground (well, Daimler did run Chrysler pretty badly which means the only reason Mercedes succeeded is they stole cash from Chrysler), and they DID learn from their mistakes (GM learned way before the bailout and was on it's way back to the top already, and Fiat has turned Chrysler around quite nicely with a much better mix of product of much better quality. Funny how having money can make that sort of difference).

Simply put, your anger is misplaced. It should be aimed directly at the banks that caused the entire financial meltdown of the late 2000s.
I do blame the banks but they are not alone in this mess.

GM knows how to build a "good" car by now and they don't. Their choice.

GM knowingly builds junk, they pay out pensions and healthcare to people who no longer work for them sometimes for 40 years that they cannot afford to do, they overpay employees...benefits, bonuses and retirement packages. They are a poorly run company and haven't learned from their mistakes. Sorry....I cannot support them and what they have cost the American people.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:04 AM

3,516 posts, read 7,780,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
Which one if these brands do you personally dislike..
None of the above, Chrysler isn't listed, that be my choice.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:22 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,347,398 times
I don't hate any automobile brand. However, there are some I won't buy based on past experience and corporate practices. Any vehicle made by GM, Chrysler and most European vehicles will never darken my driveway. That the Dodge I do have was not built by Chrysler is the reason I still have it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive