Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 10:17 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
It's also caused by those who wax in a circular motion. Waxing back and forth gives you better results.
Waxing should never cause scratches, no matter what motion you use. Perhaps you are talking about the variations in shine caused by applying too much wax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 06:46 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
I would advise against using rubbing compound
Why....it is just like using very fine grit sand paper to eliminate paint defects???????

Old 05-26-2012, 08:58 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Why....it is just like using very fine grit sand paper to eliminate paint defects???????
because rubbing compound is too aggressive for swirl marks. polishing compound is much better. why use a sledge hammer when a body hammer will do?

Old 05-26-2012, 02:47 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
because rubbing compound is too aggressive for swirl marks. polishing compound is much better. why use a sledge hammer when a body hammer will do?
Thanks for the information.

I think that I am probably using the wrong term or I am just not up to speed on detailing. I thought rubbing and polishing compound were one in the same.

Old 05-26-2012, 05:27 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
I read an article about washing the car once. It said that whatever material you use to wash the car with will eventually get some grit in it and you will end up with these fine scratches that you do yourself (it said you were almost guaranteed to get those scratches from carwashes).

It said you should start out by using a powerful spray of water all over the car. You want the water to swish away most of the debris - the more debris you can get off without touching the car with a rag/sponge, the better the job will turn out.

Then you use a lot of suds. Apply the suds on gently, not rubbing much. If the suds sit/soak in an area for a bit they will lift and soften some debris - next you scrub where necessary.

Use a powerful spray to rinse. Touch up cleaning where needed. Dry with a clean dry towel. Use as many clean dry towels as necessary.

Make sure all sponges, rags, etc, are thoroughly washed and rinsed after each use. Don't just wring out.

It's a war with fine particles of grit.

The only time I noticed those swirl marks on my car was after I had been to a car wash, frankly.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:21 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,078,177 times
If you are referring to 'swirl' marks as being overlapping circles, it is caused by a buffing machine using buffing or polishing compound. The swirls can be removed using a product like 3M buff n fill. It's only available at auto paint supply stores sold in 1 gallon cans. It is applied only with a buffing machine.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:40 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Thanks for the information.

I think that I am probably using the wrong term or I am just not up to speed on detailing. I thought rubbing and polishing compound were one in the same.
no worries, it is the same mistake a lot of people make unless they have either been in the automotive paint business, or had training in the business. rubbing compound is typically used after the paint has first been shot and color sanded to get rid of as much of the sanding scratches as possible. there are even a couple of different grades of rubbing compound, going from coarse to medium to fine. after the rubbing compound has been used, then you switch to a polishing compound, which is much finer than rubbing compound, and even that has a couple of levels also.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:21 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
As a general rule I stay away from "rubbing compounds" when it comes to paint. The only exception would be heavily oxidized 30yo paint.
"Rubbing compound" should be left to bright work. Especially for non-experienced people who are doing their own "polishing".

There are several "swirl mark eliminators" on the market- some good, some just gimmicks! The best way to eliminate swirl marks is to do all things that prevent them to begin with.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:56 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,650,120 times
Rubbiing compounds can be a bit harsh.

But 3M swirl remover is pretty fine cut.

Something people are not listing is towels and rags. Remember its what you use on your paint. Alot of people use old towels that can actually be pretty harsh. I actually prefer a water blade,a dn microfiber towels for waxing.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:25 PM

5 posts, read 9,780 times
Here is a link to some of the services we offer for swirl marks, along with some before and after pics of swirl removal and other detail services.

Wax and Swirl Removal - Houston Hand Car Wash
Photo - Gallery Galleria Hand Car Wash & Detail
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive