Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 12:04 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times

Advertisements

It really depends on the state and the elements of the charge. In Texas it means if there are injuries or likely to be if involved in a accident you have to stop and render aid by say calliig authorities.If no one is injuried and you leave then it lacks the injury element needed and the charge is the lessor charge of failuire to stop and give information.I know of no law requiring a person not involved as far as criminal that requires a person to stop.As far as dotors and medical people that is a ethics of the profession question ;really. I don't see what treating lawyers generally has to do with the question asked by OP at all;just a jab at lawyers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 01:37 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,447,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
I hope if you caused the wreck you stop
That goes without saying. Of course someone should stop for that, if he/she caused the accident. It is a criminal charge if you don't (like hit-and-run). But there are limits on 'good samaritan laws', depending on state, as to whether or not you have to help, if you were not involved.
IIRC (it was a long time ago, so I don't exactly remember), when I was in Alaska, and someone was broken down by the side of the road, you were legally obligated to stop and help. When it drops to -60F, they could freeze to death.

If I am plowed out of my mind (myself, not the driver of the car, and I am just a passenger), there is NO way, if we see an accident, I am going to grab my AED from the trunk and do anything. (we used to design and build them, so we got them for free, so I keep one in every car). You could say that is selfish, but it keeps me out of a lot of potential legal trouble. Besides, a 10-year-old can run an AED.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive