Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 04:11 AM

5,210 posts, read 6,147,251 times

Advertisements

Since the stagecoach was mentioned I would have to say Mini Van and SUV. Now think about it....1870, the highway, AC, Radio, Bluetooth, GPS, the connected IPod, and all the other things we take for granted, would blow them away.

Even though it is not a car.....I would put them in a RV on I-5 in LA during traffic. My wife would cook them dinner along the way in the micro-wave, let them use the bathroom or shower and after giving them an ice cold soda or beer and pop in an old Gunsmoke movie for the final sensory overload. The ultimate stagecoach.

Technology has been great...we just seem to take it for granted as Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 12:10 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,458,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
That car would probably scare them to death!

They would be much more likely to go for a ride in the cars I picked. And they certainly would be a lot different than riding in a stagecoach! I don't think stagecoaches or trains could go from 0-60 mph in 10 seconds (which the average '70s Cadillac or Lincoln could) or in 6.5 seconds (which the average '60s muscle car could do). And as you said, a stagecoach could do no more than about 40 mph... quite a bit lower than the 120 mph of the cars I chose.

I would also guess that the cars I chose have a far superior ride! Stagecoaches had a very bumpy ride. Not to mention the features available on the cars I picked, like power steering/brakes/windows/seats, A/C and heating (try to find that on a stagecoach), AM/FM stereo radio, full exterior and interior lighting, etc.

So I stick by my original choices. And the 1870s family would probably like what I picked. You forgot to mention one thing about modern cars... most of them are also ugly! (IMO.)
Agreed, there are very few modern cars that have that same kinda ineffable "charisma" as many of the classics. And it's basically what nearly all technology is coming to now, including cars, which are eventually just becoming sort of glorified, semi-disposable "appliances", albeit with totally inaccessible and mysterioso innards.... not unlike the difference between say, an old Ma Bell Princess phone, and a typical Android or iPhone of today. BTW IMO, tragically that's even occurring to some degree in the usually sexy and sensuous Italian exotics, like Ferrari and Lambo, etc.... becoming lots longer on tech, while shorter on style!

And yes, putting 'em in a modern RV would be a, um, "gas" (especially something like a Prevost)!

Old 10-01-2012, 11:03 PM

216 posts, read 449,037 times
#1. A pimped out Cadillac Escalade with big rims. Show them the culture of todays people. I would make sure it would have the latest techonlogy, Tv's Internet Ipod docking bluetooth, On-star and all the bells & whistles.
#2. Something fast, like stupid fast. Probably a Nissan GTR, maybe a Ferrari - even though I hate ferrari. Take them on the track and just unleash the fury for 2 laps. They'll probably have a heart attack after just one!
#3. A massive jacked up 4 X4. Dodge diesel or something similar. We're going mud boggin'!! Take them rock crawling, dirt jumping and just having a good old time.

Honourable mention: A modern tractor-trailer unit. Show them how we transport millions of pounds of useless junk - Included in the tour is a trip to Walmart or Costco.

Old 10-02-2012, 03:43 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
First, a car from about 1910, that had to be hand cranked to start, and for the driver to advance and retard the spark, and double clutch to change gears, so they can see the visible principles of the basic mechanics of the horseless carriage.

Second, an early VW beetle, as the "common" affordable car used for basic transportation by the working class.

Third, the latest model Jaguar XJ sedan, as an example of the ultimate (so far) in motive technology, style, and passenger comfort.

Last edited by jtur88; 10-02-2012 at 03:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive