Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2012, 10:14 PM

2 posts, read 2,703 times

Advertisements

Hey guys. I'm in need of a windshield replacement and have a couple questions I was hoping you guys could answer for me.

1) The last time I needed to replace my window, the guy repairing the window mentioned two types of glass - he said one was better than the other. They'd originally installed one windshield, but part of the glass was a bit hazy so they replaced it with the other. The guy said, "This is "XXX" glass so it's much better." Do you guys know what he was talking about? He mentioned an abbreviation but I don't quite remember what it was exactly.

2) I'm going to go through my insurance company, and so was wondering if you guys knew if I'd be able to choose the "better" glass? Or do I have to just go with whatever the insurance company decides to give me?

Would appreciate any help I can get here. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 10:58 PM

44,623 posts, read 61,597,128 times
Just ask for OEM glass, that's the original equipment glass your vehicle came with. You do not have to settle for a lesser quality windshield.

Old 05-27-2012, 11:39 PM

2 posts, read 2,703 times
Okay, will do. Thanks.

Another quick question (to you or anyone else willing to answer): Is there a way to tell if a windshield is OEM or not? I'm assuming there is, but wouldn't know what to look for to make sure that it is. Would it say, "OEM" on the windshield itself? Perhaps there's other ways to tell?

Old 05-28-2012, 03:37 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,167,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony2003 View Post
Okay, will do. Thanks.

Another quick question (to you or anyone else willing to answer): Is there a way to tell if a windshield is OEM or not? I'm assuming there is, but wouldn't know what to look for to make sure that it is. Would it say, "OEM" on the windshield itself? Perhaps there's other ways to tell?
Replacement glass will only have the glass manufacturer's logo on it, not an "OEM" labeling.

In the aftermarket, there's only a couple of manufacturers actually supplying the glass. They also make the OEM glass for many manufacturers, and the quality/glass formulation/tint/shade is the same. Pilkington, for example, supplies glass to the OE and the aftermarket and is a very common brand to find at auto glass shops.

A dealership can supply OEM glass, which may be no different from the aftermarket supplied glass.

If you have any doubt that a shop will accept your insurance company's payment point for a windshield that you select, ask the shop if they will accept your deductible and the insurance company's payment for the work. You have the freedom to choose your own shop supplying the glass ... but it's hard to go wrong with any of the major national franchise auto glass chains.

Old 05-28-2012, 06:22 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,222,859 times
I remember reading something about "soft" glass but the details are lost and I'm too lazy to look it up.

Hope that helps.

hee hee

Old 05-28-2012, 04:14 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,367,190 times
Really 'soft' glass:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive