Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 10:20 AM

58 posts, read 340,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
My 1988 Mercedes engine warning light says "check engine", but its red... this is the first car I have ever owned with a red check engine light. If I recall, my 1991 Lexus says "check engine" in amber and has a litte shape of an engine above/below it. My 1972 and 1973 cars dont have "check engine" lights. Only lights like "generator" (alternator for those of you that has never owned a mid 70s and older car), which is strange, because by the late 60s, they had alternators, but kept the generator light instead.... and they have lights that say "oil", "brake", "temp", "fasten seat belts" and a light for the bright light indicator. My old 1972 Cadillac also had a trunk open and low washer warning light and our old 1971 Lincoln had a low fuel and door ajar warning lights, which are the norm these days, but in the early 70s, these were special. Also in the late 60s and early 70s Chevrolet offered a warning light option which added the additional warning lights of door ajar and low fuel on the full-size cars.

..... and why I have rambled on about this, I have no idea.
Check engine lights were proprietary before 1996. Manufacturers could use them any way they saw fit. In 1996, On-Board-Diagnostics II (OBD II) required all manufacturers to adopt the same standards. While some cars now have "check engine" lights, some have "service engine soon" , and some simply have an icon of an engine that lights up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 01:33 PM

543 posts, read 2,310,535 times
If you get to know the employees in a dealership, there are some things they will do for you even if the car is not under warranty. DH is a tech at a dealer. It is the service writers that you need to get to know. They will then tell the tech, hey this person is a loyal customer, check this or that would ya.

Old 04-23-2009, 05:51 PM

1,000 posts, read 3,602,848 times
geez get a reader from ebay for 40 bucks and at least you can turn the dopey codes off.

Old 04-23-2009, 05:52 PM

1,000 posts, read 3,602,848 times
My truck keeps giving a lean code (both banks) I swear it's the ethanol. It only comes on if I hit one of the unbranded stations selling E90

Old 04-23-2009, 06:31 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
That check engine light caused my caravan to Fail inspection! Is this in WV or all states?
If not now, it will be in all states soon.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:00 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,228,278 times
Oh dear! Brakes are nothing to monkey around with, which proved to be the case! Glad no one was hurt.

Speaking of brakes, I have to install new front brake pads on my Mercedes tomorrow... they are squeaking like a huge rat in a smorgasbord.

They were an entire $15.00 and take 10 minutes to change on this particular car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I have a bro. in-law that ignored the warning lights for his brakes on a cadilac for a year, I had warned him over and over and he didn't listen, his wife and daughters lost the brakes coming down a steep mountian road and crashed, lucky no one was hurt.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:40 PM

58 posts, read 340,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billb7581 View Post
My truck keeps giving a lean code (both banks) I swear it's the ethanol. It only comes on if I hit one of the unbranded stations selling E90

What kind of truck (make, model, year) do you have? There are many different possible causes for these lean codes but the important thing to remember is this: when these codes are set, the engine computer is telling you that no matter how much fuel is injected into the engine, its sensors are telling it that there is a fuel shortage. The result is massive fuel injection increase to compensate, and your fuel economy gets absolutely raped. More than likely, using the new fuel is not causing this issue, rather it is simply a coincidence that that is when the light comes on. The most common causes for these codes are either a failed mass airflow sensor or an engine vacuum leak. There are many other possible causes, these are simply the most common.

Beware: this problem can be tricky to diagnose, and if you take it to the wrong shop, you can be overcharged on top of failing to have the problem fixed. Suggest a dealership or ask around for a reputable shop. But don't ignore it. All kinds of corollary problems can occur, making repairs more expensive.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:26 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billb7581 View Post
Is this a Flex-Fuel vehicle, and you are somehow getting E90 when it should be getting E-85?

If so, yeah, that would make sense, the FI system is having to go beyond it's normal parameters to compensate for the extra ethanol, thus the CEL.

If the problem goes away with "normal" E-85, and if the problem never comes up using more or less regular gasoline, the problem is probably the fuel.

BTW, do the math, usually while you pay more per gallon for "real" gas, you typically get enough better MPG that your cost per mile is less.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:22 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
There is always the solution of plating your car at the address of a relative who lives in a state that does not require inspections.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:56 PM

24,468 posts, read 26,003,936 times
Until you get caught.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive