U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 11:24 AM

54 posts, read 152,956 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

I want to buy some used cars and auto parts in US and exporting them to Middle East countries. My target brands are Chevrolet, Jeep, Chrysler, and Ford. Could you please tell me how I can find more info regarding taxes, exporting acts, shipment, etc.

Thanks,
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 01:19 PM

706 posts, read 2,020,521 times
At first glance, I wouldn't expect that to be a working proposition. Most cars in the Middle East are used European cars, that are bought in Europe and driven down there, no overseas shipping required. You'd have a hard time competing pricewise with Mercedes.

Whatever you do, somebody is already doing it, and has the competitive margin cut to bare bones.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:37 PM

Hmm, you meant that even American brands come from European markets?

Old 05-30-2012, 03:44 PM

4,919 posts, read 21,659,181 times
Yes, cars with "American" brand names on them may be made in other countries as well. Also, remember that some US brand named cars are made overseas and shipped TO the USA. The market in some areas is big for US cars, but so is the curretn distributors of these cars. They ship 50 - 70 containers each month. Considering that many are salvaged, autions, and stolen, trying to compete based on shipping some cars over isn;t going to yield much money. If it was profitabe, many would have started doing it. depending on the region, the desired US cars are based on a specific need and knowing that need is very important to avoid having dozens if cars you paid to ship over sitting with nobody wanting them.

Do you have any experience in international vehicle trade, auto shipping overseas, car sales? anything?

Old 05-31-2012, 03:54 AM

Regrading the target market, I have comprehensive information. For example, in Kurdistan region (which has a free market and no notable taxes would be implied on foreign cars) the need for American SUV is rapidly increasing. The region is mountainous and Mercedes and BMW are not good options, due to their high prices. Now, Toyota,Nissan, and Kia have a great share of market here, but still people are interested in American brands, like Jeep, Chevrolet, and ford because they have been proved to be better than other brands. The presence of American troops in Iraq is another reason for that. For example, Hammer is very prestigious here coze people have seen its performance, not only hearing about it.

I have only some experience in car sales in domestic market. Here we have some companies that importing directly from US, but the market still has not been saturated, and since I am going to be in US for about 4-5 years, I thought that I could establish a strong link between US market and my family who leave in Kurdistan to start the business.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:42 AM

687 posts, read 1,267,525 times
The international version of the Ford Ranger pickup that has been used in countries like Iraq and Afghanistan is built in Thailand and is not even sold in the U.S.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:19 AM

35,316 posts, read 47,601,720 times
Why not start small and work up,buy a couple of Ford Excursions or a couple of Cadillac Escalades and ship them to your intended destination, sell them there , if it all works as planned theres lots more where they came from..At this point i wouldnt waste time with parts..

Old 05-31-2012, 10:23 AM

44,255 posts, read 59,480,372 times
There is a local company here who jazzes up Jeep Wranglers and sends them all over the place, including the middle east. I just saw a jim dandy of one heading to Saudi Arabia.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:00 AM

1,901 posts, read 5,421,005 times
Cars do get shipped to the Middle East from the USA...my friend's mother had a Roadmaster back in the 90s- it was sold to someone who did just that.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundman View Post
The international version of the Ford Ranger pickup that has been used in countries like Iraq and Afghanistan is built in Thailand and is not even sold in the U.S.
I don't think so. We have a Chrysler 300 C, model 2011. On all doors there are "Made in Canada" labels. The labels are fake (which don't seem to be) or the doors have been shipped to Thailand?!!

Here you can also find original military hammers, which are in a very good condition, and I just wonder who have sold them to local people!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive