Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 08:26 PM

403 posts, read 867,583 times

Advertisements

You should call & talk to the general manager. We had that happen, they readily refunded the money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 08:47 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,012,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
You know, at what point after paying and driving away do you say "it does not work yet?"
If the F25o was un modified the birds nest should never have happened.
The shop does appear to have dropped the ball.
The hesitation was sporatic enough that it might not do it for 30 minutes and then feel like it wasn't going to make it to the next light.

After the first repair I called them on the way home to tell him that it was worse. They said that if the fuel filter ect cleanout didn't work that it would need a new fuel pump.
I questioned them a lot about how they knew that and they said it was showing
that it wasn't getting enough fuel.

After the 2nd repair it drove home fine but the next drive showed the same problems.
Thats when we discovered the nest.
So that is where I am at now.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:18 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
The hesitation was sporatic enough that it might not do it for 30 minutes and then feel like it wasn't going to make it to the next light.

After the first repair I called them on the way home to tell him that it was worse. They said that if the fuel filter ect cleanout didn't work that it would need a new fuel pump.
I questioned them a lot about how they knew that and they said it was showing
that it wasn't getting enough fuel.

After the 2nd repair it drove home fine but the next drive showed the same problems.
Thats when we discovered the nest.
So that is where I am at now.
Water-over-the-dam now, but at this point you should have brought it back to the shop, nest still ensconced (if the truck could have made it there).

Old 06-01-2012, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Water-over-the-dam now, but at this point you should have brought it back to the shop, nest still ensconced (if the truck could have made it there).
yep..I didn't know getting it out would fix the problem and at that point I was driving to meet the guy that bought it..He knew about the problem and
wanted it anyway.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:13 PM

On the bright side the nest had 2 baby Carolina Wrens and they are doing fine.
I moved the nest and the mom is still caring for them

Old 06-01-2012, 11:32 PM

689 posts, read 2,161,523 times
I'm going to bet that the known company just happens have the same name as a well-known brand of tires. Right? If so, you got off fairly easy.

Old 06-02-2012, 04:29 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,368,535 times
A few things not considered..........

Air inlet obstruction will cause all kinds of sensor/pressure issues downstream of the obstruction all the way through the exhaust. The tests may show that any sensor reading is wrong. Sensor test measurement may show it as marginal. Cleaning the fuel system can be done while driving. RXP is a great way as is Seafoam. I'd say perhaps the charges could be related to the time spent, not the parts. As for the fuel pump replacement, in tank pumps are prone to failure at any time during it's duty life cycle. From an occasional no pump/intermittant no start to full no pump no start. Perhaps the component test results showed 'marginal' - thereby as a precaution on an older vehicle with mileage (suspect), and a vehicle that is not run on a regular basis (known) it's not good for any vehicle at all, the service did the replacement.

As for the cost, time trying to track down a driveability issue sounds more related to the high cost amount (guessing here, no invoice to review).

As for missing the intake obstruction...........it happens. At my company we have highly trained techs (me included) and we should be able to track down anything, right? Well, not every time. Our service truck went down to MAF codes. It checked out fine, swapping one from another identical truck did nothing to fix it. After several days scratching our heads it was sent to the dealer. They spent three days and finally tracked it down to a spider corpse had gotten into the tubing for the MAF setup and was causing the issues. A dead spider corpse.......when the tube was not in use by the engine, the body fell away from the orifice in the piping and it passed tests. When the engine was running the corpse moved into the orifice blocking it and the sensor was just doing it's job by going out of range. As stated, it happens. And this truck is driven daily.

Sorry to hear about the high costs. A reputable company should work with you on the extra labor charges, perhaps some of the parts costs. In the end, please let us know how that turns out.

Old 07-15-2012, 03:54 AM

I meant to report back that the company did refund all the labor on the fuel pump , so I got amost 300 back .

Old 07-15-2012, 11:27 AM

3,183 posts, read 7,204,711 times
As a pro mechanic I can say with no question that the "mechanic" gave a wrong diagnosis and you paid for it. I would avoid letting him do it again.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:27 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,615,239 times
We have often thought of dealerships of over charging, but rarely do customers have a bad diagnostic at the dealership.

I needed a new transmission in a 1992 F150, this was in 1998, I called around to dozens of transmission shops and got varied prices. A friend suggested calling the Ford dealer.
They shipped a new transmission from Detroit and installed it cheaper than the trany shops would rebuild it for. Came with a 1 year/15000 mile warranty as well, much better warranty than promised by the other shops as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive