Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2012, 03:53 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,569,264 times

Advertisements

I am located in NC and I realize that NC is strict on 'window tinting' in regards to auto inspections.

I took my 1997 Toyota Forerunner to be inspected and was charged $10 extra for 'window tint'. I asked about the fee since I have never been charged before and was told it was due to the tint in the windshield behind the visors.

I didn't realize until I got home that the 'tinting behind the visor' is what I beileve is called a 'glare strip'. I can feel this strip from inside the vehicle and it feels like I could peel it off. It is about 5 inches long and goes the width of the windshield at the top.

I called Toyota and was told by someone in the service dept. that the glare strip was likely 'factory' installed - not 'after factory'. (Not sure why this matters but apparently NC has an issue if something is 'after factory' installed. The Toyota service guy said I should NOT have been charged a window tinting fee at inspection.

I have researched window tinting, glare strips, etc. on the NCDOT website and cannot find any information about a glare strip/requirements, etc.

Can any of you guys tell me the best way to argue this? I realize it is only $10 but the guy at the inspection station was a real jerk and just based on principle I am willing to fight this.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 04:09 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,243,757 times
19A NCAC 03D .0551 WINDOW TINTING
(a) All stations performing window tinting inspections shall have a light meter or photometer which has been properly tested
and approved by the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles. Stations which do not have an approved light meter shall not inspect
vehicles with applications of after-factory window tinting. Stations are not required to maintain a light meter in order to
perform safety inspections on vehicles without after-factory window tinting.
(1) The inspection mechanic shall determine if the vehicle has after-factory window tinting prior to beginning
the inspection. The mechanic may use an automotive film check card or knowledge of window tinting
techniques to determine if a vehicle has after-factory tint applied to any window of the vehicle.
(2) If a station determines a vehicle has after-factory window tinting but does not have an approved light
meter, the mechanic must inform the customer he is unable to perform the inspection. The station may not
charge for any portion of the inspection.
(b) All windows with applications of after-factory window tinting shall be inspected with an approved photometer which is
properly calibrated and functioning.
(c) Prior to performing a test on a vehicle, the mechanic shall test the photometer for accuracy by checking the calibration
against a reference sample of glass provided by the manufacturer. If the photometer indicates the device exceeds the net light
transmission by + or - three percentage points, the unit shall be considered out of calibration and may not be used until
properly calibrated. The unit's digital display must also be checked to ensure all digital display segments are lit and properly
functioning.
(1) The reference glass sample must be clean and free of dirt prior to performing the calibration check.
(2) If a reference glass sample has been broken or is missing, the test shall not be performed and the mechanic
shall inform the customer he is unable to perform the inspection.
(3) If a digital display segment is not functioning, the test shall not be performed and the mechanic shall
inform the customer he is unable to perform the inspection. The unit may not be used until it is repaired.
(4) The windows to be tested shall be clean and free of dirt or moisture.
(d) The test shall be performed according to the photometer manufacturer's recommendations.
(e) Window tint shall fail safety inspection if:
(1) Any window on the vehicle with after-factory tint has a light transmittance of less than 32%.
(2) The tint on any window is red, yellow, or amber.
(3) The tint on the windshield extends more than five inches below the top of the windshield or is below the
AS1 line of the windshield, whichever measurement is longer.
(4) The light reflectance of a tinted window is not 20% or less.
(f) Window tinting on vehicles with after-factory window tint shall not be inspected if the vehicle is exempt from the window
tinting restrictions under G.S. 20-127(c).
(g) The mechanic shall collect the fee as specified in G.S. 20-183.7(a) for performing the inspection.
(h) The fee for inspecting window tinting may only be charged for vehicles with after-factory tint applied. If the light
transmission exceeds 65%, the vehicle shall not be considered to have after-factory tint and the mechanic shall not charge the
fee as specified in G.S. 20-183.7(a).

(i) Standards for devices used to measure light transmittance through vehicle windshields and windows are as provided in this
section. These standards include but are not limited to portable devices used within the State of North Carolina to measure
light transmittance through vehicle windshields and windows pursuant to G.S. 20-127. These devices shall be provided with
a standard reference sample and procedure for taking readings utilizing the reference sample. The device light source shall be
mid-range in the visible spectrum (560nm +/- 20nm) and shall not emit in the ultraviolet and infrared portions of the
electromagnetic spectrum.
(j) The standardization of glass reference samples shall be traceable to the National Institute of Standards and Technology
(NIST).

Old 06-01-2012, 04:20 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,569,264 times
Thanks Me007.

I did find that info on the NCDOT website but I don't know if that pertains to the 'glare strip' at the top of the windshield. I also don't know how I prove that the 'glare strip' was not 'after factory'?

Should I take the car to the Toyota dealer? Get a letter from them that the glare strip was installed at the factory? Take it to a different inspection station?

Again, I realize this is alot of fuss over $10 but it really ticks me off that this station is charging $10 to me (and I assume many others) that they should not be charging...

Old 06-01-2012, 07:22 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,906,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
Thanks Me007.

I did find that info on the NCDOT website but I don't know if that pertains to the 'glare strip' at the top of the windshield. I also don't know how I prove that the 'glare strip' was not 'after factory'?

Should I take the car to the Toyota dealer? Get a letter from them that the glare strip was installed at the factory? Take it to a different inspection station?

Again, I realize this is alot of fuss over $10 but it really ticks me off that this station is charging $10 to me (and I assume many others) that they should not be charging...
I realize your frustration, but personally I would move on and forget about it. Life is short. "Don't sweat the small stuff."

Old 06-01-2012, 07:29 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,224,595 times
The factory doesn't install window film. It may be part of the after-the-factory but before-the-dealer add on items that Toyota contracts out to regional or local companies. It may also be something the dealer adds.

A friend has purchased two new Toyotas and found out that many cars are produced in a more generic manner, then added to when they get near or to the dealer. Something like that, I wasn't paying total attention.

And yes, NC is a PITA when it comes to the ridiculous tint laws. Been there, done that, have several tickets to prove it.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:19 PM

3,307 posts, read 8,559,751 times
I just got my 8 month old car inspected here in NC. They charged me the $10 extra for the aftermarket tint I have, but I knew they would since my last car had am tint as well. What really pisses me off is the fact that NC makes me get a safety and emissions inspection for a 2012, 8 month old vehicle. That is pure money in the bank for the state for no reason at all.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:42 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,777,350 times
I remember when I lived in NC 4 years ago, the inspection station would also charge me $10 for tinted windows. I didn't think it was right but it wasn't worth fighting over either.

Do they still have the inspection exemption for 35 year old and older vehicles?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive