Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most overrated car brand
BMW 72 20.51%
Audi 11 3.13%
Volkswagen 18 5.13%
Mercedes-Benz 60 17.09%
Ford 4 1.14%
Cadillac 28 7.98%
Chevrolet 13 3.70%
Hyundai/Kia 14 3.99%
Toyota 52 14.81%
Honda 25 7.12%
Lexus 33 9.40%
Infiniti 6 1.71%
Acura 9 2.56%
Lincoln 6 1.71%
Voters: 351. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 12:22 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,710,277 times

Advertisements

For me its BMW, don't get me wrong they have some nice cars but all I see are these douche bags who buy a beamer and fix it up, then they think they run the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 12:23 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,710,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
Hi all--

Chevrolet. I'd reckon that 80% of Chevy drivers swear by their reliability and will continue buying them.

Every Chevy car I've ever had the misfortune to drive has been absolutely diabolical.
Chevrolet is not my favorite GM brand but GM has stepped up there game in the past five years and their cars are way more reliable then they used to be. I think GM's big mistake was getting rid of Pontiac though.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:14 AM

395 posts, read 458,511 times
Are you friggin kidding me?

I saw the title of the thread and instantly got giddy over the chance to click the little circle to vote for Subaru and it's not even on the list.

MOST OVERRATED = SUBARU

FO SHO!

Old 09-02-2012, 01:00 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,426,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
great so because your sucking up car and drivers nuts you think that means that their facts.

as far as im concerned their humans with opinions. Also just because "they" stated something doesnt mean that every man and women on their team agreed.

But as for your mud dancing jeep i hope you like mooses.

Jeep Grand Cherokee moose test -- the full story - YouTube

Very strange cat you are. Why are you taking the opinion of an auto magazine again? I thought that ment nothing to you.......huh. Or....do their opinions only count, and every member of their "team" agrees, when it suits your fancy?

Of course, I did find this article 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee passes German "moose test"

Here's the article:

Jeep Grand Cherokee Passes "Moose Test" Performed by Germany's Auto Motor und Sport

July 27, 2012 , Auburn Hills, Mich. -

An evaluation of the 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee by Germany-based magazine Auto, Motor und Sport (AMS) found the vehicle – including its advanced safety systems – performed successfully and as designed. The Grand Cherokee completed multiple repetitions of an evasive maneuver sometimes known as the "moose test" or "elk test." The maneuver was performed by an AMS driver at an automotive test site in Germany that is sanctioned by the Allgemeiner Deutscher Automobil-Club (ADAC). Course dimensions and layout, checked and approved by AMS, were those set out by the International Standards Organization (ISO). The result reaffirms the Grand Cherokee's place among the safest vehicles on the road today, evidenced by its listing as a "Top Safety Pick" by the U.S. Insurance Institute for Highway Safety – one of the honors that made it the most awarded SUV ever.

Jeep kippt nicht um: Jeep Grand Cherokee besteht Elchtest - AUTO MOTOR UND SPORT

English Translation of Auto Motor und Sport story:

Jeep Grand Cherokee passes the moose test; Jeep does not roll over

The new Jeep Grand Cherokee does not roll over even at high speed, with sharp steering maneuvers, maximum passengers and fully loaded. During the Auto Motor und Sport moose test, the vehicle remained safely on the road and none of the four wheels lost contact with the road.

With this, Auto Motor und Sport puts into perspective the results of the Swedish magazine, Teknikens Varld, that alleged a danger of the SUV tipping during fast direction change towards the last of the three pylon lanes.

Even though the Jeep Grand Cherokee had already passed the first test performed by Auto Motor und Sport, including an avoidance test with releasing the accelerator pedal provoking a load shift, the test was repeated once more by auto motor und sport after the result in Sweden.

Under standardized conditions for road surface and with pylon lanes set depending on vehicle width in accordance to the guidelines determined by the VDA (Verband der Deutschen Automobilindustrie; German Automotive Manufacturer Association), the Jeep remained safely on the road during the magazine's test.

Whether loaded with 2 people on board or with the maximum permissible total weight, all four wheels maintained contact with the ground to the greatest possible extent. The tested Jeep did not demonstrate one-sided uplift or, let alone, tipping. This confirms the theory that the Cherokee in Sweden was overloaded.

.................................................. ..............................

Sounds like they cheated. I'm not likely to run into a Moose (Mooses? Messe? lol) anytime soon, so anything smaller is just gonna get hit with my WRANGLER, including vehicles.....unless it's a human with no protection around them. Everything under the sun taller then a large dog is going over a Camry's hood, and into your lap.

What was your point anyways? That apples are better than oranges? The Cherokee is an SUV, they're top heavy. Wranglers are short wheel based, high clearence vehicles. This why they have roll cages. If a Wrangler owner has a brain in his/her head, they arn't pulling maneuvers like that in the first place. Why don't you mention how your beloved Toyota makes vehicles that do the same thing? Toyota Hilux är livsfarlig! | Webb-tv | Teknikens Värld

My point is, 2007 or not, Toyota makes stuff like this too. Everyone that makes pick-ups and SUV's have this problem. Nature of the beast.

You're really grasping at straws here. I don't think I even said the Camry was a BAD car. I can't, because they are good reliable cars. I just said it was boring.

Old 09-02-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
theirs no american sport car that can come close to a nissan gtr, LFA and if toyota was to ever re release the supra which it most likely will then thats another plus for japan.

Also your luxury cars cant match their either except cadillac.

American cars are the most boring cars ever.

pretty sad that a well stocked nissan 370z can compete against a srt8 charger. YAWNN.

I'm not gonna knock the GT-R or a 370z, but be realistic. The 370z is a born "sports car", while the SRT8 is an OPTION. So I guess you're right after all, it is pretty sad.

There IS an American SUPER CAR, just like the GT-R is a SUPER CAR. That car is the 2011 Dodge Viper Hennessey Venom GT. Both vehicles have 0-60mph times of 2.9 seconds. The Viper is just rediculously priced.

Want something more reasonably priced?

How about the Shelby Mustang GT 500? The GT-R has a 0-60 time of 2.9 seconds, the GT 500 is 3.6. Ok GT-R has the win there. But by the end of a 1/4 mile, the GT-R crosses the line in 11.1 seconds, the GT 500 crosses at 11.5. Seems pretty close to me.

Old 09-02-2012, 02:24 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,409,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Very strange cat you are. Why are you taking the opinion of an auto magazine again? I thought that ment nothing to you.......huh. Or....do their opinions only count, and every member of their "team" agrees, when it suits your fancy?

Of course, I did find this article 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee passes German "moose test"

Here's the article:

Jeep Grand Cherokee Passes "Moose Test" Performed by Germany's Auto Motor und Sport

July 27, 2012 , Auburn Hills, Mich. -

An evaluation of the 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee by Germany-based magazine Auto, Motor und Sport (AMS) found the vehicle – including its advanced safety systems – performed successfully and as designed. The Grand Cherokee completed multiple repetitions of an evasive maneuver sometimes known as the "moose test" or "elk test." The maneuver was performed by an AMS driver at an automotive test site in Germany that is sanctioned by the Allgemeiner Deutscher Automobil-Club (ADAC). Course dimensions and layout, checked and approved by AMS, were those set out by the International Standards Organization (ISO). The result reaffirms the Grand Cherokee's place among the safest vehicles on the road today, evidenced by its listing as a "Top Safety Pick" by the U.S. Insurance Institute for Highway Safety – one of the honors that made it the most awarded SUV ever.

Jeep kippt nicht um: Jeep Grand Cherokee besteht Elchtest - AUTO MOTOR UND SPORT

English Translation of Auto Motor und Sport story:

Jeep Grand Cherokee passes the moose test; Jeep does not roll over

The new Jeep Grand Cherokee does not roll over even at high speed, with sharp steering maneuvers, maximum passengers and fully loaded. During the Auto Motor und Sport moose test, the vehicle remained safely on the road and none of the four wheels lost contact with the road.

With this, Auto Motor und Sport puts into perspective the results of the Swedish magazine, Teknikens Varld, that alleged a danger of the SUV tipping during fast direction change towards the last of the three pylon lanes.

Even though the Jeep Grand Cherokee had already passed the first test performed by Auto Motor und Sport, including an avoidance test with releasing the accelerator pedal provoking a load shift, the test was repeated once more by auto motor und sport after the result in Sweden.

Under standardized conditions for road surface and with pylon lanes set depending on vehicle width in accordance to the guidelines determined by the VDA (Verband der Deutschen Automobilindustrie; German Automotive Manufacturer Association), the Jeep remained safely on the road during the magazine's test.

Whether loaded with 2 people on board or with the maximum permissible total weight, all four wheels maintained contact with the ground to the greatest possible extent. The tested Jeep did not demonstrate one-sided uplift or, let alone, tipping. This confirms the theory that the Cherokee in Sweden was overloaded.

.................................................. ..............................

Sounds like they cheated. I'm not likely to run into a Moose (Mooses? Messe? lol) anytime soon, so anything smaller is just gonna get hit with my WRANGLER, including vehicles.....unless it's a human with no protection around them. Everything under the sun taller then a large dog is going over a Camry's hood, and into your lap.

What was your point anyways? That apples are better than oranges? The Cherokee is an SUV, they're top heavy. Wranglers are short wheel based, high clearence vehicles. This why they have roll cages. If a Wrangler owner has a brain in his/her head, they arn't pulling maneuvers like that in the first place. Why don't you mention how your beloved Toyota makes vehicles that do the same thing? Toyota Hilux är livsfarlig! | Webb-tv | Teknikens Värld

My point is, 2007 or not, Toyota makes stuff like this too. Everyone that makes pick-ups and SUV's have this problem. Nature of the beast.

You're really grasping at straws here. I don't think I even said the Camry was a BAD car. I can't, because they are good reliable cars. I just said it was boring.
just playing your idiotic games thats all. toyota is superior to anything JEEP could ever make.

JEEP = yawwnnnn.

mud dancing? i dont do that. I dont climb mountains with cars either i use my arms, and legs. If you want to be apart of car rock climbing then join a comic book.

Old 09-02-2012, 02:29 PM

395 posts, read 458,511 times
I have been reading the posts and it seems as if different people have different ideas of what makes a vehicle worthwhile.

Some talk about reliability, some about performance, others about style and yet others about a number of other things.

I'm a married father of two young children so my main concerns are, reliability, safety and low cost of ownership. I couldn't care less about how long it takes to go from 0-60, how cool or stylish the car looks or what kind of electronic technology it has.

But based on my criteria I'd say Toyota and Honda make the best cars in the world for my money.

Old 09-02-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
I'm not gonna knock the GT-R or a 370z, but be realistic. The 370z is a born "sports car", while the SRT8 is an OPTION. So I guess you're right after all, it is pretty sad.

There IS an American SUPER CAR, just like the GT-R is a SUPER CAR. That car is the 2011 Dodge Viper Hennessey Venom GT. Both vehicles have 0-60mph times of 2.9 seconds. The Viper is just rediculously priced.

Want something more reasonably priced?

How about the Shelby Mustang GT 500? The GT-R has a 0-60 time of 2.9 seconds, the GT 500 is 3.6. Ok GT-R has the win there. But by the end of a 1/4 mile, the GT-R crosses the line in 11.1 seconds, the GT 500 crosses at 11.5. Seems pretty close to me.
i know exactly what a Hennessy is and i respect them and i am happy they released a vehicle.

american sport cars are cheap the only good thing about them. everything else pretty much sucks. I almost bought a 2010 challenger. Thank god i didnt.

Old 09-02-2012, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by db77 View Post
I have been reading the posts and it seems as if different people have different ideas of what makes a vehicle worthwhile.

Some talk about reliability, some about performance, others about style and yet others about a number of other things.

I'm a married father of two young children so my main concerns are, reliability, safety and low cost of ownership. I couldn't care less about how long it takes to go from 0-60, how cool or stylish the car looks or what kind of electronic technology it has.

But based on my criteria I'd say Toyota and Honda make the best cars in the world for my money.
thats the thing though. People worship sport cars as if regular people care about them.

here in brooklyn, new york having a car that will get from 0 - 60 in 2 seconds is useless. By the time you pass 2 seconds your car will be crashed.

Old 09-02-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
just playing your idiotic games thats all. toyota is superior to anything JEEP could ever make.
Oh, see now I know for sure you have no idea what you're talking about. You know as much about cars as you do stringing together a coherent sentence. I prove you wrong, and now you're just playing games?

Quote:
mud dancing? i dont do that. I dont climb mountains with cars either i use my arms, and legs. If you want to be apart of car rock climbing then join a comic book.

What? Oh yeah, the sentence thing.

Do you do a lot of mountain climbing? Ever use your arms and legs at the same time while doing so?

What's "mud dancing"? Let me google this ****. Yup....nothing related to 4x4's.

Does Marvel have a Jeep club? That's pretty cool.

Now, why don't you take your own advice, and
Quote:
beat it .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive