Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most overrated car brand
BMW 72 20.51%
Audi 11 3.13%
Volkswagen 18 5.13%
Mercedes-Benz 60 17.09%
Ford 4 1.14%
Cadillac 28 7.98%
Chevrolet 13 3.70%
Hyundai/Kia 14 3.99%
Toyota 52 14.81%
Honda 25 7.12%
Lexus 33 9.40%
Infiniti 6 1.71%
Acura 9 2.56%
Lincoln 6 1.71%
Voters: 351. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 11:23 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,769,870 times

Advertisements

I find new cars to all be so similar these days no matter who makes em. They all use cheap plastics here and there and materials that look nice on the surface, but when you actually touch it, feels flimsy, and extremely cheap.

It’s like you could easily break off a vent molding trim if you yanked hard enough. Automakers have really improved their interiors in the last 5 years when prior you had rock hard plastic surfaces everywhere, where now it’s padded and stitched. At the same time, it’s the little bits and details that are still overlooked in some cases, and one of my biggest issues to this day that for whatever reason automakers continue to fail to fix, is the ultra cheap, flexable center arm rest.

This is almost every new modernist vehicle I’ve sat in too. You can easily move the center console.

Why can’t any of them spend the money to bolt the damn things down so there not a flexy flyer!??

Next time you’re in your car, grab the center armrest and see if you can move it from side to side? Does it move with slightest touch? If it does, this is exactly what i am taking about. Manufacturers like Mercedes and BMW have this problem too, so it’s not just all the mainstream brands.

After attending yearly auto shows that have the latest models on display, I am surprised on how the quality from the Domestic brands (GM,Ford) vehicles are practically on par if not better feeling and looking than those of Toyota and Honda.

Actually the latest interiors of the Accord and the Camry is really cheap feeling. They look nice, but the finishing touches is rather bland and flimsy. Even the doors of both cars are so lightweight and don’t have the nice solid “thunk” sound. A Fusion and the newer Malibu have that nice door “thunk” so it goes to show that just because it’s Japanese, it doesn’t mean high quality anymore.

Kia’s and Hyundai have truly improved, but yet again there interiors look nice but feel way too plasticky.

The only brand that honestly stood out to me, and insanely should be considered a semi-luxury brand is Mazda. They have one of the most stylish and quality interiors and exterior design I’ve been in. More people should be looking into Mazda’s, instead of defaulting like zombies to the typical mainstream brands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2018, 02:38 AM

6,554 posts, read 7,133,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
I find new cars to all be so similar these days no matter who makes em. They all use cheap plastics here and there and materials that look nice on the surface, but when you actually touch it, feels flimsy, and extremely cheap.

It’s like you could easily break off a vent molding trim if you yanked hard enough. Automakers have really improved their interiors in the last 5 years when prior you had rock hard plastic surfaces everywhere, where now it’s padded and stitched. At the same time, it’s the little bits and details that are still overlooked in some cases, and one of my biggest issues to this day that for whatever reason automakers continue to fail to fix, is the ultra cheap, flexable center arm rest.

This is almost every new modernist vehicle I’ve sat in too. You can easily move the center console.

Why can’t any of them spend the money to bolt the damn things down so there not a flexy flyer!??

Next time you’re in your car, grab the center armrest and see if you can move it from side to side? Does it move with slightest touch? If it does, this is exactly what i am taking about. Manufacturers like Mercedes and BMW have this problem too, so it’s not just all the mainstream brands.

After attending yearly auto shows that have the latest models on display, I am surprised on how the quality from the Domestic brands (GM,Ford) vehicles are practically on par if not better feeling and looking than those of Toyota and Honda.

Actually the latest interiors of the Accord and the Camry is really cheap feeling. They look nice, but the finishing touches is rather bland and flimsy. Even the doors of both cars are so lightweight and don’t have the nice solid “thunk” sound. A Fusion and the newer Malibu have that nice door “thunk” so it goes to show that just because it’s Japanese, it doesn’t mean high quality anymore.

Kia’s and Hyundai have truly improved, but yet again there interiors look nice but feel way too plasticky.

The only brand that honestly stood out to me, and insanely should be considered a semi-luxury brand is Mazda. They have one of the most stylish and quality interiors and exterior design I’ve been in. More people should be looking into Mazda’s, instead of defaulting like zombies to the typical mainstream brands.
Ha, if you think Porsche makes an arm rest. No other brand has anything similar to my center console. But it’s going to all digital now, following the newer Panamera.

Old 03-25-2018, 02:50 AM

574 posts, read 382,697 times
Anything Italian, because I say they're ugly and too expensive for what they are........ Get a Porsche 911, and spend less while getting more and have a better parts/service support network to go along with it. people will hate me for this

Old 03-25-2018, 08:11 AM

46 posts, read 49,167 times
I also think BMW is the most over rated and many of the people who drive them have no idea what they are doing

Old 03-25-2018, 08:17 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,579,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTL View Post
Toyota’s are sooooo overrated, and Honda is right alongside it. Honda is not the company it use to be, as quality has gone down. I know a few people that have had issues with the V6, electric doors on the vans and other quality issues. The Korean manufacturers still have along way to go. There suspension and power trains are no where near the competition. Chevy is taking all of the JD Power awards for dependability and quality.
On another note, many people are under the impression that if a car is designed and built in the states, it’s Amaerican. Remember, if it’s not an American Company, it’s not an American car!
Wow, I would never say Toyota or Honda are over-rated. I shop lots of used cars and both brands are in high demand for their reliability - much higher than their comparable brands.

On the other hand Audi, Mercedes even BMW have great reputations but in the used car market these cars are often maintenance nightmares - with some exceptions.

I tend to think that anyone paying 70-80 or even $90K for a New car has a right to expect it will be reliable past warranty expiration and that is just not often true of the Germans, Italians and sometimes American brands.

Old 03-25-2018, 02:58 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,923,039 times
I voted Toyota as the most over rated crap on the road. I've never owned one and won't own one. But it seems that the family members have them or had them and not one of them will have another one. My oldest girl bought a Hyundai. My first thought was that dear ol' dad was going to have to bail her out of this junker. She put over 100,000 trouble free miles on it. Then got married to guy that is an attorney. His wife was not going to drive some welfare Hyundai so he bought her a top of the line Camry. After owning it for 3 months, she was in tears and wanted her old Hyundai back. The Camry was living at the dealer more than at her house. She's now driving a BMW i650 convertible and wishing it was a Hyundai. The youngest girl leased a 2017 Toyota 4 Runner Limited, just like her aunt drives. She now refers to it as her POS. It's been a long time since I've been a car/SUV that has so many rattles. The exhaust will knock you down from the stench and gas mileage is not even near acceptable. The dealer says there is nothing wrong. She had some guys at a party lean against the car and did almost $3000.00 in damage. Nobody got on the car, just leaned against the front end. My nephew bought a Tundra after driving the wheels off of his Silverado, it had over 250,000 miles on it. He calls the Tundra his money pit. He owned it for 2 years and decided he couldn't afford Toyota quality since it all but lived at the dealer. Brakes were a twice a year event. He won't own another one. My brother and his wife both have Toyotas. She drives a 4 Runner Limited 4x4, he drives a Tacoma 4x4 extended cab. The limited lives on the back of a wrecker because the POS won't start. He spent over 4 grand last year keeping it running. It's sitting at the side of the hiway now with a 4 sale sign on the windshield. She won't have another Toyota anything. His Taco has cost him almost as much in repairs as the truck cost him new. As of yesterday, it's not running either. It will be on a wrecker tomorrow. They take pristine care of their cars. They live in the country and can't afford to be without transportation. His 1959 Willys wagon is FAR more dependable than the Toyotas. It will be his last Toyota. Previously, the older Tacos he drove, they were near bulletproof and deserving the mythological Toyota quality. But the new ones are absolute crap.
When I went with my youngest girl to take her Limited in for warranty work, I asked about all of the issues since they seemed to have blown her off about fixing it. The guy said you have to come accustomed to driving any Toyota. Maybe he's right but like I told him, me and my family aren't going to become accustomed to drive a POS for any reason.

Old 03-25-2018, 03:21 PM

3,255 posts, read 1,719,842 times
Toyota by a big shot.

Old 03-25-2018, 03:30 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Old thread, but some of you all are making stuff up, and sound ridiculous doing it. If you have an opinion/preference, fine, but making stuff up to justify it is ridiculous.

Old 03-25-2018, 06:19 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,823,614 times
Mazda and Subaru are not on the list. Those would be my picks.

Old 03-25-2018, 06:20 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipanemeli View Post
I have owned 5 BMWs and it is not overrated at all. I have never driven any sedan that drives as good as 5-series BMW. It seems it is very individual...
By the way, reliability does not make car better to drive. And handling is one of the main aspects why BMW costs so much
Yeah but nothing handles when it’s on the side of the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCproud View Post
I've been a tech all my life. Almost 40 years. I love my 328 BMW. I drive 110 miles a day. 30 mpg and zip when I need it. Tightest car I have ever owned. I have always admired German technology. The US has a long way to go (and I'm a die hard Bowie fan) and as has been stated, the Japs are the biggest posers on the face of the earth. The IS aint got crap on the BMW. I plan to get the wife either the 5 series or an X5.

Just FYI, you can find really nice low mileage BMWs for half of new. Don't be a hater till you wrap your hand around the wheel!
Your cost of ownership is probably in the weeds. I had a 740IL years ago. Got it for free from my boss. His wife absolutely hated it. And it was about 5-6 years old. It always needed something fixed. O2 sensors radiator, constant brake jobs and ate batteries. . And I only had it for less than a year and i got rid of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive