U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 08:26 PM

61 posts, read 199,773 times

Advertisements

My mother is a right leg amputee who doesn't use a prosthetic (by choice). She's able to drive, has her license and is ready to buy a car. The problem she runs into is finding a vehicle other than a van where she can load her wheelchair in the backseat and then get into the drivers seat. She is able to do this fine in my minivan but really wants to find something smaller if possible because she lives alone and doesn't want something that large. Does anyone have any suggestions for car models that we can look into? My web searches seem to pull up a lot of conversion vans so hoping someone here may have experience with this.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 08:29 PM

5,250 posts, read 12,516,967 times
Small pick up maybe(that uses a crane to lift the chair in to the bed)? I cant see a car having room for the wheel chair.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:40 PM

833 posts, read 1,637,934 times
My wife uses a wheelchair and we have a Toyota Camry 4 door sedan.

I fold the wheelchair and put it in the back seat.

It takes strength and is a hassle,though.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:00 PM

61 posts, read 199,773 times
She is strong and easily loads her chair in and out of my minivan. She opens the backdoor on the drivers side, loads her chair and then is able to lift herself into the drivers seat without losing her balance. Trunk wouldn't work because she has to hop back to the front and the same goes for lifts/ramps. Trying to talk her into taking my van but she wants something smaller. She's looked at the Kia soul but it doesn't look tall enough inside to fit the height of her wheelchair. Maybe the back seatts could be removed?

Old 06-04-2012, 09:10 PM

5,843 posts, read 12,910,390 times
Would she mind if on the back of the car, there is a special carrier that can hold her wheel chair on a hitch mounted bracket or something ?
How did she get the wheel chair in the van before ? Just keep it open and push it in ?

My Mother in Law is wheel chair bound, and it is really a hassle to fold the wheel chair and stuff it in the trunk. We have a Honda Accord ....

On the other hand, if you would look for the smallest car that is a 5 door one, where the rear lid moves *UP*, she may be able to collapse the chair and slide it in ?

With a little bit of *tinkering*, one could make a slide thingy, made from heavy duty drawer slides, that could help her move the chair into the back of that 5 door sedan ?

Old 06-04-2012, 09:15 PM

48,503 posts, read 92,704,058 times
Not mnay vehicles are goig to have the space between front and rear seat or the clearnace when the side door is slide open.Electic side door even makes it easier.Have a friend who husband is whell chair and a small GMC SUV. Chair has to be folded;then lifted to to rear.Not a job for perosn with one leag or any age.Space between front of back seat and rear of front seat doesn't leave much room like leg room of a mini.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:16 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
30,457 posts, read 50,689,452 times
Personally I would do the IMS minivan. They are very nice, and versatile. Especially if she has some friends in Wheelchairs. As she ages she may really appreciate the minivan (plus they are CHEAP to buy and insure, EZ to see out of, and pretty economical.

I would also look into a Subaru Forester (taller and ez to get in and out of). You can take out the rear seats if you need too.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:26 PM

14,788 posts, read 23,507,268 times
I've seen people do what you want with cars like the old Saturns that had rear passenger doors that open the opposite of most car doors. You open the driver door, and then you can open the rear passenger door and have easy access to load the chair in. I don't know if any newer cars have those doors. see pic in link here:

http://www.saturnpedia.org/wp-conten...1/807531_4.jpg

Another option is a chair-topper. It looks like a luggage carrier on top of the car. You transfer to the driver seat and then fold the chair. The chair topper opens up and a hook comes down. You attach it to the chair. It then gets lifted up and stowed on its side in the chair topper. That would work on any car, I think. see pic here:

http://www.autoadapt.com/images/prod...opper_w277.jpg

Old 06-05-2012, 03:28 PM

14,788 posts, read 23,507,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Personally I would do the IMS minivan. They are very nice, and versatile. Especially if she has some friends in Wheelchairs. As she ages she may really appreciate the minivan (plus they are CHEAP to buy and insure, EZ to see out of, and pretty economical.
They are far from cheap. IMS was bought out by Braun Mobility. They are really nice vans though.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:38 PM

7,311 posts, read 12,680,421 times
Ford Transit Connect Wheelchair Van | Ford Handicap Vans | Transit Mobility

I've seen a few Ford Transit Connect wheelchair vans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive