Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 08:23 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,442,197 times

Advertisements

Well currently I like my shoes (Vans only!) more than I like my car lol. I don't judge anyone by what kind of car they drive. Really you cant. My friends girlfriend is 28 and drives a Lexus and her payments are almost $700. a month and she is a bartender by night and factory worker by day. Then there's a doctor around here who drives a rusted out 80's Chevy S-10 and the guy makes a ton of money. Those are a few reasons I don't see logic in judging by a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 08:38 AM

1,548 posts, read 3,017,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
Well currently I like my shoes (Vans only!) more than I like my car lol. I don't judge anyone by what kind of car they drive. Really you cant. My friends girlfriend is 28 and drives a Lexus and her payments are almost $700. a month and she is a bartender by night and factory worker by day. Then there's a doctor around here who drives a rusted out 80's Chevy S-10 and the guy makes a ton of money. Those are a few reasons I don't see logic in judging by a car.
Ditto.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:44 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,521,434 times
I hope driving around in a '96 Subaru Outback and a 2002 Buick Sedan tells people I am a frugal and do not spend more then I have to on cars.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:07 AM

9,611 posts, read 21,135,113 times
I drive a 1996 Caravan. The way I see it, there are three possible statements this could make about me:

1) I'm very poor and can't afford anything better;

2) I'm very lame and don't realize that old minivans suck;

3) I'm very conscious of the value of a dollar and have other priorities than the type of vehicle I drive.

I'd like to assume that I'm making the third statement, but in all reality most people probably assume it's one of the first two.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:14 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,833,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyTXsmile View Post
Judgement and impressions are two different things.

The OP mentioned judgement, which is what I replied to.

If we're talking about impressions, I'd much rather hope people are getting impressions and / or judging me (if they're so bold to make a judgement based on a mere impression) by my character, and not what I drive, what I wear, or my nice rack, as the boys say.

What matters are my manners (do I think of you, or only myself), my attitude towards life (am I pleasant and genuine when you see me), etc. I notice right away if a man doesn't hold a door for me, or whether a person doesn't return a smile, or if someone snaps at the staff of any establishment, of if someone pours my drink before their own, etc. What I don't really care about is what they're driving, what they're wearing, or what their house looks like.

Perfect reason why:
I have wealthy relatives and friends, and they love to show it.

I have wealthy relatives, and you'd never in a million years believe they had a dime.

I have relatives and friends that are dirt poor, but carry luxury handbags, drive expensive cars, etc.

Moral of the story:
Yes, first impressions (hopefully not judgements, which was the topic of this thread) are going to happen, but you can't always accurately tell something about a person by looking at external things. Looking internally will tell you so much more and the truth behind everything on the exterior they're trying so hard to "portray". If you look hard enough, you see the truth behind the facade people play with cars, clothes, and houses.
Manners? Attitude? Smiles?
This is America in the 21st century! You can't be serious!
You need to drive something flashy that gives the opposite sex chills ...

Why, I can't tell you all how often the ladies pause in wonder when in campgrounds they pass by my 17-year-old, 170,000 mile, former military mini-box-van I converted to my home -- glance enviously and passionately, wink at me in my bare feet and jeans and in awed tones say: "Wow! What a dog!", as they gaze at my four-legged, 110-pound, furry, cat-chasing co-pilot.

Of course, one might wonder if they are referring to the van, I suppose ...
but I don't think so ... I think it's the van that draws them like a magnet to me, and they use the pup as a conversation ice-breaker.

Of course, then there's the way I always hold the dumpster lids open for any ladies who arrive with their trash at the same time as I ... with a gracious sweep of my arm, I invite them to place their garbage in before I toss my bag of morning dog-pooh.

I have many winning ways. But I still think it's the van that gets me all the attention.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:24 AM

30,701 posts, read 79,330,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
I drive a 1996 Caravan. The way I see it, there are three possible statements this could make about me:

1) I'm very poor and can't afford anything better;

2) I'm very lame and don't realize that old minivans suck;

3) I'm very conscious of the value of a dollar and have other priorities than the type of vehicle I drive.

I'd like to assume that I'm making the third statement, but in all reality most people probably assume it's one of the first two.
No. I think you are really a soccer mom inside and you just have not come out yet. Next year you will come out adopt two children and become a soccer mom. You may need to have some sugury as well.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:31 AM

30,701 posts, read 79,330,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyTXsmile View Post
Perhaps therein lies the answer. I'm a woman, you're a man. Most men don't care what I'm driving, wearing, or what my house looks like. So perhaps your view of first impressions is much different than mine since women typically look for providers which means some have to look at cars, clothes, houses, etc in order to assess a man's ability to provide (back to the hunter and gather days) and men typically look for someone they find attractive (irregardless of the make/model of the car she drives or the brand of clothes she's wearing - am I right, or am I right? lol).

Either way, we'll have to agree to disagree. I stated my opinion that I absolutely don't care about those things (while other things are HUGE deal breakers for me), and you seem to have stated the opposite.

There is nothing wrong with either answer, which is what keeps the world interesting. If we were all alike, things would get pretty boring.
FUnny thing is, although I have a healthy income, I spend all my money "providing" and do not keep any for me, so I drive old worn out cars. You would get the wrong impression.

Actually my favorite kind of car is one I get out of and people say "What is that? I have never seen one before."

I do nto know what kind of image that portrays - - I am a freak?

Old 07-19-2012, 09:34 AM

9,611 posts, read 21,135,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
No. I think you are really a soccer mom inside and you just have not come out yet. Next year you will come out adopt two children and become a soccer mom. You may need to have some sugury as well.
I will also need to move to a community that has a youth soccer program.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:40 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,418,353 times
Statement? I don't give a crap what other people think of what I drive. Over the years that's included Ford, Dodge, Chevy, Honda, Toyota .... cars, trucks, SUVs, minivans, hybrids. I pick a vehicle that best matches my needs at the time and best suits my budget at the time, and not for some moronic, adolescent "statement."

Old 07-19-2012, 10:21 AM

4,178 posts, read 3,703,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
Statement? I don't give a crap what other people think of what I drive. Over the years that's included Ford, Dodge, Chevy, Honda, Toyota .... cars, trucks, SUVs, minivans, hybrids. I pick a vehicle that best matches my needs at the time and best suits my budget at the time, and not for some moronic, adolescent "statement."
But in order to suit your needs and budget I assume you would still shop around. By shopping around and finding a car to your liking over another to me would be an extension of your personality. Maybe not a statement but still shows the type of person you are. You wouldnt look at a car that was advertised as "car for sale, will suit all your needs" and then buy it regardless of what it is. You may have preference for one make over another and the make says a lot about the person as well.

Not caring what other people think is one thing but you still purchase a car that you like because that particular car says something to you or about you over the other ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive