Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2015, 01:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,962 times

Advertisements

The Subarus of today give almost equally good gas mileage as compared to a 2WD Toyota or Honda... and in some cases you will see Subau giving a better gas mileage too (Forster as Compared to CRV or RAV4).

I have owned both and if you're looking to buy a new car or 3-5 years' old car or SUV - Subaru has surpassed Honda & Toyota in terms of customer satisfaction and reliability.

We live in Texas and don't need AWD, but it does give you more control on road while driving and you feel that while driving.

Safety Ratings : Subarus have better safety rating than Honda/ Toyota of today and some of the features are in same or bbetter class than Mercedez or Audi, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2015, 02:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,717 times
I bought a 1992 Subaru legacy station wagon new. Now in 2015, has 185000 miles and so far have replaced light bulbs. It is my third car for a family of two drivers. I keep it because it is not worth selling and we use it as a utility vehicle, hauling rocks and lumber for home projects. Also comes in handy for the occasional snow here in Portland OR. Comparing the BaRu (not Sube) to a Honda is apples and oranges. The car is much better in the snow and ice then any other make on the market. It may never stop. Hear of BaRu's going 300,00 all the time.

Old 11-25-2015, 02:36 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,531,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru owner View Post
I bought a 1992 Subaru legacy station wagon new. Now in 2015, has 185000 miles and so far have replaced light bulbs. It is my third car for a family of two drivers. I keep it because it is not worth selling and we use it as a utility vehicle, hauling rocks and lumber for home projects. Also comes in handy for the occasional snow here in Portland OR. Comparing the BaRu (not Sube) to a Honda is apples and oranges. The car is much better in the snow and ice then any other make on the market. It may never stop. Hear of BaRu's going 300,00 all the time.

Nuff said! Ours has 280ish on it.

Old 11-25-2015, 02:38 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,163,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick1980 View Post
...Subarus ... some of the features are in same or bbetter class than Mercedez or Audi, etc.
What are those features better than Mercedes or Audi??

Old 11-25-2015, 08:45 PM

96 posts, read 91,912 times
I'm on my 3rd car now. My first car was a 91 Honda Accord EX; my 2nd car was a 2002 Honda Civic EX coupe; and my current car I have now is a 2015 Subaru Forester XT. Before buying my Forester, I really didn't have a Subaru in mind until my brother-in-law convinced me. I test drove his 07 Spec B Legacy and fell in love with it. I test drove the Forester and decided to buy the XT. I haven't looked back since. It's been a year and I have 9400 miles on it. I absolutely love my Subaru.

Old 11-26-2015, 12:23 AM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick1980 View Post
The Subarus of today give almost equally good gas mileage as compared to a 2WD Toyota or Honda... and in some cases you will see Subau giving a better gas mileage too (Forster as Compared to CRV or RAV4).

I have owned both and if you're looking to buy a new car or 3-5 years' old car or SUV - Subaru has surpassed Honda & Toyota in terms of customer satisfaction and reliability.

We live in Texas and don't need AWD, but it does give you more control on road while driving and you feel that while driving.

Safety Ratings : Subarus have better safety rating than Honda/ Toyota of today and some of the features are in same or bbetter class than Mercedez or Audi, etc.
How Car Brands Compare for Reliability - Consumer Reports

http://money.cnn.com/gallery/autos/2...liable-brands/

Old 11-26-2015, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike88628 View Post
The 90s subarus with a manuel transmission will outlast any honda anyday , run great even after 400k miles grant it you know how to drive a manual I have 435,000 miles , tranny finally went out, I have a 93 Awd impreza , first year for impreza and first year for awd impreza
Unless the '90s Subaru's head gasket does not blow, it will outlast any Honda?

Old 11-26-2015, 09:24 AM

10,553 posts, read 7,750,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Unless the '90s Subaru's head gasket does not blow, it will outlast any Honda?
See post #109. The 2.5 engine blows HGs, not the 2.2 more commonly found in the 90's era Subarus. The late 80's early 90's Subarus had problems with timing belts snapping too frequently. Some of 2000 Subarus have had issues with bad auto trannys, then there's the excessive oil consumption found in more recent models . So, it seems that Subarus over the years have had a few more issues than Hondas have.
But these are two of the very best car manufacturers, so I would suggest to the OP that he/she try the one make they don't currently own out for size
We have both a 2007 Fit and a 1997 Legacy Sedan, and both of them are great cars IMO.

Old 11-26-2015, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
See post #109. The 2.5 engine blows HGs, not the 2.2 more commonly found in the 90's era Subarus. The late 80's early 90's Subarus had problems with timing belts snapping too frequently. Some of 2000 Subarus have had issues with bad auto trannys, then there's the excessive oil consumption found in more recent models . So, it seems that Subarus over the years have had a few more issues than Hondas have.
But these are two of the very best car manufacturers, so I would suggest to the OP that he/she try the one make they don't currently own out for size
We have both a 2007 Fit and a 1997 Legacy Sedan, and both of them are great cars IMO.
The head gasket problems was mostly related to the open-deck design. The older Subaru motors (the close-deck design) were fine, but heavier. One of the best Honda 4-cylinder fuel-injected motors I can think of, was used on the 1987 Civic Si. I have one of those Civics in the backyard with a broken timing belt, and over 265,000 miles. The motor is in perfect shape other than the timing belt

Subaru automobiles have had lots of trouble areas. For example, head gasket problems, wheel bearings, turbo assemblies, and the rest. However, Subaru has been quite good at taking care of the problems, unlike some other companies.

Old 02-20-2016, 06:00 PM

7,493 posts, read 7,168,905 times
Having owned several Honda's and now a Subaru, I would recommend a Subaru over a Honda. Subaru has far better ownership costs than Honda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyinyourradio View Post
First time on this part of City-Data.. I'm interested in knowing the pro's and con's of Honda Civic's or Accord's verses Subaru's. I'm in the market for around a 2009-2011 vehicle with preferably below 100K miles. I currently own a 2003 Honda Civic with 280K miles. I think it's seen it's day but still runs well despite a recent major repair of a new radiator and AC system. As for Subaru's.. I wouldn't mind a smaller SUV but am open to a smaller more fuel efficient car. One thing I like is I hear most Subaru's are all wheel drive. Is this true? Input would be appreciated. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive