Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 01:29 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,243,757 times

Advertisements

autotempest seems like it would be easist. Plus with what I am looking for, it seems Ill be suck looking on Craigslist. Thanks for the suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 01:33 PM

1,329 posts, read 3,544,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawkfist View Post
While I've bought and sold cars on cragslist, I will never do it again because I got burned too bad both on the selling side and buying side.
Would you care to share the bare outlines of what happened?

Old 06-14-2012, 03:31 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,013,939 times
I put my used Accord on Autotrader and CL 4 1/2 years ago. I didn't get one single response from Autotrader. All of the responses came from CL.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:47 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,595,322 times
The problem with AT, for the consumer, is their ads are money driven - their listings are populated based on how much how much their dealer's are spending with the company - so basic consumer listings are pushed to the bottom. At least thats whats my limited understanding is.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:53 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Ah, I remember the days before the Internet, when AutoTrader magazines were on a rack in the convenience store. I used to buy them and dream about what car I'd like to have when I grew up.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:36 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,743,179 times
I listed my Mazda MX 6 LS for sale on Craigslist and it sold the same day. I was shopping for a newer used Dodge Grand Caravan and I found it through Craigslist. Rarely found good ones on autotrader or cars.com. Found a good one on ebay though, but by that time I already bought a good G.C.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:37 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
During my search for a new car, I am not having much luck with autotrader.com as I have in the past. I don't know if its the vehicles I am trying to find or are people(and dealers) using it less and less. It seems people are using Craigslist more and more. I don't know if it is because it is free or what. Any one have any opinions or ideas, on other places to look for cars? I am all over ebay/craigslist/ and to a lesser extent cars.com
I've used autotrader to locate the last 3 cars I've bought, so I don't know what to tell ya. If anything craigslist has been on the decline thanks to the near-ruinous volume of scams, repeat posts, posts designed to trip certain keyword searches that have nothing to do with what you're actually looking for, etc. And while craigslist is free for casual users, the neatly formatted posts you see from dealerships are not.

As others have suggested, if you want to find cars listed by dealers, used Autotrader. If you want to find cars listed by private parties, use Craigslist.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:59 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,224,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Ah, I remember the days before the Internet, when AutoTrader magazines were on a rack in the convenience store. I used to buy them and dream about what car I'd like to have when I grew up.
IIRC they were only a buck until they stopped being printed. That was cheap for all the cars they had in every issue.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:04 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,345,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I've used autotrader to locate the last 3 cars I've bought, so I don't know what to tell ya. If anything craigslist has been on the decline thanks to the near-ruinous volume of scams, repeat posts, posts designed to trip certain keyword searches that have nothing to do with what you're actually looking for, etc. And while craigslist is free for casual users, the neatly formatted posts you see from dealerships are not.

As others have suggested, if you want to find cars listed by dealers, used Autotrader. If you want to find cars listed by private parties, use Craigslist.

Agree with that statement regarding dealers vs private parties.

when looking for a car, autotrader is 95% dealers, private parties are almost non-existant. for cheaper cars and private parties ebay and craigslist seem to be where its at.

Just sold my car in a few days on craigslist. had a number of calls and emails from people looking and sold it twice, the second guy actually came thorugh with the $$ rather than a story. Granted, it had a few minor problems and I priced it at a really good price, but my feeling is cheaper cars are going quick on craigslist if they're in good shape and reasonably priced.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:30 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
I suspect that there may be a different "class" of seller on Auto Trader vs Craigslist.

In my opinion, the sellers on AutoTrader seem older, and the cars look better maintained, these people are willing to PAY to advertise their vehicles. If they're willing to pay for the ad, then its more likely they've paid for maintenance on the vehicle too.

Sellers on Craigslist seem younger and the cars often look rougher, many of these people don't even want you to call but rather text them. I can't even count how many times I've seen CL ads with misspelled words and inaccurate descriptions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive