Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 01:46 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,375,727 times

Advertisements

It's your life, your money, do whatever the hell you want. If you are at a stage in your life where you let other dictate how you spend your money, then go with it. Be that guy. Get that luxury car, deal with the high maintenance costs, feel the novelty of owning a car that will impress your friends. Be a follower.

I have owned a BMW and now drive a Lexus. Neither I bought to impress anyone. It's one of the great things about maturity. You don't care what others think about the choices you make in conducting your life. You will get there one day, but right now, it appears like you need to get this out of your system first. It's common, so don't worry about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 01:53 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
Does anybody care what somebody drives anymore?

Old 06-15-2012, 02:32 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
A Ferrari or Lamborghini should really impress those friends..
Personnally i have lots of friends and they dont seem to have a problem with my Toyota Yaris

Old 06-15-2012, 05:00 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,691,909 times
I see you live in the Dallas area so I understand the pressure in a city like that to "blend in" with the crowd.

My dad was a farmer and he always referred to those who spent lavishly to impress others as "big hat, no cattle".

Buying an expensive car isn't going to improve your social standing, it'll just put you more in debt than you probably care to be. If one wants a luxury car for comfort, technology, or safety features then I'd say go right ahead but just to buy one in order to "show off" is pretty pathetic in my opinion.

Quite a few TRULY wealthy people drive normal, mainstream cars or trucks and those that are wealthy and have luxury cars often opt for the flagship models rather than the entry-level 3 Series, A4, C-Class, etc.

It's your money but it seems like a big waste, maybe you should find a better class of friends.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:07 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
When you give in to peer pressure, you confirm that you are insecure and a follower.

How is that going to impress anyone? Those are not admirable traits.

Never buy a damn thing to impress people.

Impress people with your morals, your work ethic, your honor, your integrity.

Something worth being impressed with.

Anything you can buy is not special...any schmoe with a couple of bucks can get one.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:08 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,265,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
So I have been thinking about getting new luxury car for the main reason of satisfying my standing among other people. Right now my 2007 Hyundai Sonata run just fine and honestly I do not need a new car at all.
However, there some friend who tend make fun of me for driving it. Most people I hang around with own BMWs, Lexus, Acuras, and other high end sports cars. In fact, at work lot people also drive pricey cars. Even got a joke once someone would not want get ride in my car since they don't want to be seen in a Hyundai!
Lot of my friend have been encouraging me to an expensive car since I can afford it. Supposedly, it will approval my social standing great and even help out in picking up girls.
So I have been looking around at luxury cars and thinking about picking one up. The Audi A4 or Infinite G25 both look pretty good to me. I would definitely would nice to own luxury car since I haven't down one. They pretty cool features and drive a lot better than my current car.
Like I said I do have money to spend on one. I have a feeling I might get buyers regret for spending so much $$$ on darn car after buying it. I need seriously think about buying it since main reason for me get one would be "improve my social standing" as I have heard. Has buying expensive cars actually increased any of your guys social standing? Do you think buying a luxury car for this reason is good idea?
Buying an expensive vehicle should be to please YOU first and the heck with the materialistic women who want you for your car. I think if you can afford one and are ready to give up your present vehicle for some "pizazz" then do it. I am older, female...and all my life have wanted a luxury vehicle. I have always had a new model of "something", i.e., I presently drive a Toyota Scion a 2004..first year it came out and it is a WONDER vehicle for sure. I am so attached to this funny looking little car which gets over 30mpg and with the seats flopped down turns into a little van to haul stuff. Love, love love it..and who woulda thunk it!

So, lets see..my dream vehicle is an Audi A8 (drool) totally off the charts dollar wise but both my husband and I love it. The newest "looker" for me is the Buick Verona..gorgeous looking car, not sure about the price but certainly nowhere near the Audi A8. Good luck with your search and remember its for YOU, all about YOU and what YOU want.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:22 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times
Wow, way to cave in to pier pressure! Keep putting aside your cash until you "need" a new car or "want" one for your own driving pleasure. If a woman won't go out on a date with you because you don't drive an expensive brand vehicle, then walk away and count that as a bullet dodged. That generation Hyundai looks fine and if you're not having car problems, go ahead and keep it. When they tease you about your car, tell them you're saving up for a larger purchase like a house or much more expensive car. I work at a major local hospital and I pay attention to what the doctors and nurses drive. The majority of our doctors drive trucks (Chevy, Ford, or Dodge). Some drive cars like VW, Toyota, Honda, Ford, and Chevy. Very few drive luxury cars. The nurses are usually the ones trying to show off their income with their BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Infiniti, and Volvo vehicles. Ask those coworkers when are they going to graduate from high school.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:32 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,984,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Whatever floats your boat. Does it really matter what a bunch of people you don't know think?
To insecure people it does.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:45 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Does anybody care what somebody drives anymore?
Obviously the answer to that question is yes.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:46 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
To insecure people it does.
I'm guessing even if a thousand people posted not to get the car the OP would anyway to impress his friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive