Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 07:14 PM

22,673 posts, read 24,647,023 times

Advertisements

I have a 98 Mazda Mpv-Lx, 6 cylinder, 4wd.

I have an oscilloscope(not a OBD code reader)and am wondering if I can view and interpret OBD2 codes when the CEL comes on with my scope???

I have a CEL that comes on and is cleared by disconnecting the battery....but it comes back on(car runs great).

What pin on the diagnostic plug sends out the pulse?? Is the plug for OBD2 diagnostics the same on all cars....the pin output standardized???

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 07:28 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,509,358 times
Sounds like an interesting idea, but not sure that will net you much...though, I'd like to see it.

I know with my 94 Ranger, I could count needle sweeps with my analog multimeter, but the instructions didn't recommend a digital meter. I'm guessing the output isn't standardized and OBD2 wasn't standardized until rather recently, anyway.

I'm looking at my Chiltons manual for my F150 and I'm seeing only three wires dedicated to the data link connector, but I'd seriously doubt they are the same colors as a Mazda van five years older...but, if someone has one for your van and will chime in, you've got a start.

You will probably only get a response for a misfire, though, since that blink and the solid on state are all you get.

Old 04-27-2012, 07:59 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,304,697 times
Sure if you could send the engine computer the hex code 0x03 telling it to display the stored Diagnostic Trouble Codes. And had a storage/memory scope, and then could decipher the output binary codes as discussed here...
OBD-II PIDs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Connections and standards used...
On-board diagnostics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Binary to hex chart...
Conversion Table - Decimal, Hexadecimal, Octal, Binary

Old 04-27-2012, 08:02 PM

11,557 posts, read 53,238,630 times
Your vehicle is an OBD2 vehicle, and the ECU doesn't report blink codes like the OBD1 system. The last year for OBD1 single-wire code display was 1995, because Fed mandated that OBD2 would be used in 1996 and that the connector port would be at the left lower dash area. The connection between the scanner and the computer is an interactive link which allows the user to do more than just read the codes that are set/stored, it allows the scanner port to clear codes, monitor sensors in real time, and reflash computer units in the vehicle.

The system is set up to report more than engine performance codes, it also includes emission systems and transmission codes.

Given how inexpensive a code scanner is at only $40+ which will give you the stored DTC, it seems like a lot of trouble to play at the raw computer level information stream in this vehicle. A more expensive scanner will allow you to monitor the data streams as well as reset the codes, which is a good way to help diagnose what is going on in your vehicle.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
Sure if you could send the engine computer the hex code 0x03 telling it to display the stored Diagnostic Trouble Codes. And had a storage/memory scope, and then could decipher the output binary codes as discussed here...
OBD-II PIDs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Connections and standards used...
On-board diagnostics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Binary to hex chart...
Conversion Table - Decimal, Hexadecimal, Octal, Binary
So I guess if the CEL is on, it does not mean that the data for the CEL is being transmitted on an output pin unless a scanner tells the ECM to do so???

I have actually seen example waveforms for OBD2 diagnostic codes. I assume that there are pictorial diagrams of all vehicles waveform outputs corresponding to code numbers/conditions????

A digital scope....why would that be needed......does the output occur over a longer period than an analog scope can capture???? If not, I could view the waveforms in real time...no prob!

Old 04-27-2012, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Your vehicle is an OBD2 vehicle, and the ECU doesn't report blink codes like the OBD1 system. The last year for OBD1 single-wire code display was 1995, because Fed mandated that OBD2 would be used in 1996 and that the connector port would be at the left lower dash area. The connection between the scanner and the computer is an interactive link which allows the user to do more than just read the codes that are set/stored, it allows the scanner port to clear codes, monitor sensors in real time, and reflash computer units in the vehicle.

The system is set up to report more than engine performance codes, it also includes emission systems and transmission codes.

Given how inexpensive a code scanner is at only $40+ which will give you the stored DTC, it seems like a lot of trouble to play at the raw computer level information stream in this vehicle. A more expensive scanner will allow you to monitor the data streams as well as reset the codes, which is a good way to help diagnose what is going on in your vehicle.

Yes, OBD2....how hard is it to view information via an analog scope??? The waveform corresponds to certain information/conditions. I wonder if there is a database showing pictures of these waveforms and what they represent??

Old 04-28-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
...A digital scope....why would that be needed......does the output occur over a longer period than an analog scope can capture???? If not, I could view the waveforms in real time...no prob!
The data sent would be 1's and 0's (highs/lows) and there might be hundreds of them sent in one second. You would need to store that information, then be able to go back and count the 1's and 0's in each byte of data so you could then convert that to hex codes. With a non-storage scope, all that data would just scroll off the screen faster than you could see it.

A "logic analyzer" with logging would be more fit for that type of thing.

Better yet, use a scanner!

And for live engine data, get software for that.

FYI - This would be similar to connecting a scope to a computer printer data wire, then sending a few characters to the printer, and being able to read on the scope what those characters were.

Also a LOT more than just data is sent many times.
Communications protocol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-28-2012, 02:55 PM

Quote:
The data sent would be 1's and 0's (highs/lows) and there might be hundreds of them sent in one second. You would need to store that information, then be able to go back and count the 1's and 0's in each byte of data so you could then convert that to hex codes. With a non-storage scope, all that data would just scroll off the screen faster than you could see it.

A "logic analyzer" with logging would be more fit for that type of thing.

Better yet, use a scanner!

And for live engine data, get software for that.

FYI - This would be similar to connecting a scope to a computer printer data wire, then sending a few characters to the printer, and being able to read on the scope what those characters were.

Also a LOT more than just data is sent many times.
Communications protocol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thanks for the information.

I am a hobbyist, play around with electronics. I have an analog scope so I thought it would be interesting and useful to try and read the codes that area coming up on my rig....oh well.

Old 04-28-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Thanks for the information.

I am a hobbyist, play around with electronics. I have an analog scope so I thought it would be interesting and useful to try and read the codes that area coming up on my rig....oh well.
Actually it is people like you (who ask questions and tinker around) who learn the most!

So keep asking, tinkering, and reading. That is a good thing!

Old 04-28-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Actually it is people like you (who ask questions and tinker around) who learn the most!

So keep asking, tinkering, and reading. That is a good thing!

Thanks Brah...........all the stuff I have BROKEN over the years HAS taught me a LOT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive