Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 08:33 AM

531 posts, read 2,899,011 times

Advertisements

Hi all, couple of questions. First, the AC on my 2002 Honda CRV died a couple of years ago. I just recently had it at the dealer and asked them to look at it. They indicated that the entire system would need to be replaced (I don't have the paperwork in front of me so I forget the reasoning why) at a cost of nearly $5,000. I know everyone is probably thinking this is just the dealer trying to make a buck off of me but they weren't pushing this at all--they made it clear that they didn't expect me to pursue that and apologize that they couldn't repair it.

Has anyone ever heard of an entire AC system needing to be completely replaced?

My second question is, any tips (other than the obvious) for how to keep a car cool without AC? It's going to be 95 degrees this week!

Thanks all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 08:53 AM

1,412 posts, read 4,484,669 times
Sorry to hear about the AC issues. You could look for a tiny desk fan to set up on the dash near you if you are the only passenger.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:54 AM

180 posts, read 475,234 times
I've never heard of that before however, my A/C isn't working right now either. The mechanic said the compressor needs to be replaced. That's 800 dollars, not including labor, coolant, etc...

I honestly don't think there is a way to cool a car. Other than use a car cover all the time, to cover the whole car from the sun. For now I just keep ice cold water with me and try to do everything in the morning or night. Luckily I take the train to work, so I'm in A/C during my commutes.

I think the best way is to keep YOURSELF cool. Buy ice packs and wear them under your hat on your head while driving. They say putting cold things around your pulse areas helps to cool down your whole body.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:57 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,125,992 times
I think you should get a second opinion from an independent shop.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:20 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,231,509 times
No, I've never heard of "an entire system" needing to be replaced. Some expensive parts, yes. It's what led me to trade an old car (the age of yours) several years ago. The cost to repair the A/C was going to be too high for the old gal so I finally had to let her go.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:36 AM

19,125 posts, read 25,323,648 times
Compressor failure--with resulting damage to other parts of the A/C system--is a known issue with CR-Vs of that vintage. However, an independent A/C shop will have more expertise and will likely charge less for A/C repair than a dealership. The OP should start researching indy A/C shops in his/her area.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:41 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,925,882 times
It's stuff like that is why I still drive a car with a wind wing (small window) for any air intake.

Does anyone remember the old cars having a lever to open a fresh air vent in front of the windshield or alongside the body below the hood?....I do and they worked WELL.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:41 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,238,533 times
My friend was in a similar situation years ago. He thought he could buy one of those window air conditioner's for $100 that would be powered by a inverter. Let's just say it did not work.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:45 AM

7,515 posts, read 13,618,508 times
Default Car "swamp coolers"

Back in the 50's and 60's there were "portable" air coolers made for cars. One style mounted on the passenger window and pushed "cooled" air into the car while moving.
Another style sat on the front floor, had a blower. Both had water reservoirs. Might find one at a flea market or eBay like this example:

Vintage Bon Aire Car Swamp Cooler Air Conditioner | eBay

Old 06-18-2012, 09:46 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,265,040 times
I can't say that I've ever heard of an entire system needing replacement, but if 2-3 major components account for the most costly parts to replace so it could be one of those "same as" statements. $5000 does seem steep, I'd get a couple more opinions before you write it off.

Years ago cars came equipped with manually adjustable vents in the kick panels. You could open those up all the way and crack the real windows about an inch and it was enough to cool you off while driving down the highway. Unfortunately today's newer and "better" cars aren't equipped with such simple luxuries.

If after a couple more opinions the AC repair is still too high, I agree with the person who suggested the portable fan. It's not much, but better than nothing. Then plan on selling the car in October when a potential buyer won't be thinking much about non-functioning AC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive