Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 07:50 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,228,278 times

Advertisements

I think I would prefer the floaty rides. I just keep thinking that these cars werent designed for hitting these bumps/ramps in the road and with everyday driving, the softer springs would be fine, but I am sure the Mopars rode well too. I still really enjoyed watching this... gotta love the 50s cars with the fins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 08:06 AM

689 posts, read 2,161,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
I think I would prefer the floaty rides. I just keep thinking that these cars werent designed for hitting these bumps/ramps in the road and with everyday driving, the softer springs would be fine, but I am sure the Mopars rode well too. I still really enjoyed watching this... gotta love the 50s cars with the fins.
Roads weren't the same in the 1950s. In 1952, most US numbered highways north from Nebraska's Platte River across the Dakotas to Canada were still about half gravel. There were still 50-mile long gravel sections on some of them like US-283 when I drove them in 1968.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowanStern View Post
Roads weren't the same in the 1950s. In 1952, most US numbered highways north from Nebraska's Platte River across the Dakotas to Canada were still about half gravel. There were still 50-mile long gravel sections on some of them like US-283 when I drove them in 1968.
Oh wow... sounds like some of those roads needed firmer and more stable suspensions. lol. We are blessed with todays roadways, even though some paved roads in many areas are a little rough. My grandparents live in the same house that they have lived in since 1977 and its within the city limits, right on the Tennessee-Virginia state line. The road they live on was paved in 1977 (I was a year old) and its not been paved since 1977! It has some patches and is rough. It puzzles me its not been paved since the roads in out city are actually very good, though there are a few in dire need of a new surface. There are even like 4 intersections in town that have the same traffic lights since the 1950s and 1960s! I love them though, they are so cool looking, I hope they dont ever remove them, but they have been slowly phasing them out. One even had the word "STOP" engraved in the red lens.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:50 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
An old friend of mine had a Ford Ranger and a Dodge Dakota. One night in a parking lot, we made the back of the Ranger bounce up and down when we opened the tailgate and jumped on it. The tires came off the ground, confirmed by another friend of ours who watched us, and the back actually slid over slightly into the next parking spot. We also knocked a piece of its exhaust loose too, because it sounded a bit like a lawnmower afterward.

A few weeks later we tried it with the Dakota, and the suspension barely even moved by comparison.

Old 07-14-2013, 04:12 PM

Lol, yeah my uncle has a 1997 Ford Ranger XLT 2wd truck... it has super soft suspension, it is almost like a Cadillac.

Btw, here is another video of just the ramp tests... I think this MAY be higher quality.

I wonder how a 2013 car would hold up in this test? lol.

1958 3 of 3 Chrysler-GM-Ford Comparative Test in Color! - YouTube

Old 07-14-2013, 04:53 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Pretty scary the way the back door and trunk popped open on that Cadillac.

Old 07-14-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Pretty scary the way the back door and trunk popped open on that Cadillac.
Yep. I had posted this and my uncle had commented about that as well. lol. I told him that this was a promotional video for Chrysler, so I wonder if maybe it wasn't "rigged" to make the Cadillac look bad. GM was the make that the automakers looked to back then... this is when GM was huge. Cadillac was GM's top of the line model, so I sometimes wonder if their goal was to make "GM's best" look bad? The other GM cars didn't have that problem. I told my uncle maybe someone pressed the auto trunk opener button, and had someone to open the back door, lol. I don't know if they had auto trunk release back then though and he said whoever was in the back wouldn't have even been able to get the door handle to open it. lol.

However this was a very severe test and I am sure that was possible... this is a very heavy car, crashing down very harshly on the road, so I guess it was possible that happen.

Old 07-14-2013, 05:20 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
When I was a kid I was riding in an old Dodge van (early 70's model) once that had those double doors on the side. Something went wrong with the brakes and the whole van would shake violently when the pedal was pressed, not sure if something broke lose or what. I remember the van shaking so bad that those double doors flew right open, and I was the one sitting next to them hanging on for dear life . I won't ever forget that.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:52 PM

Those 70s Mopars never did have good door hinges. lol. Apparently the 50s models did according to this video.

My grandpa had an early 70s Dodge van as well, but t was a real work horse. I don't think his doors ever flew open.

Old 07-14-2013, 10:05 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Tennessee, which 1958 car would you pick (to own).

For me, it would be either...

Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine

or

Chrysler 300-E. 413 V-8 engine with dual carbs and 380 horsepower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive