Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 12:10 PM

4 posts, read 26,963 times

Advertisements

I am just looking for the cheapest and best GPS for the money. I would prefer for the voice to announce street names and if any have free updates that is a preferable quality as well. I would prefer to spend less than $300, but would be willing to possibly go as high as $400 but no higher. The cheaper the better though, if I can get a good GPS that meets the previously mentioned preferences for much lower, by all means please let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 12:38 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,995,797 times
I went for the Garmin Nuvi 660 for $319 shipped.

Garmin nuvi 660 In-Depth Review (GPS Magazine)

GPSmagazine's GPS Buyer's Guide

Garmin Nuvi 660 Car GPS (Navigation) reviews - CNET Reviews

Old 05-05-2008, 12:39 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,018,187 times
We have a Magellen Crossover - it's designed for car navigation as well as hiking. I've been very happy with it. It was right around $300 but it announces street names for upcoming turns, etc. I'm not sure about the free updates - I haven't tried to update mine, yet. The points of interest are okay, but I've had a couple quirks with that - we ended up driving around a trailer park searching for a restaurant that was supposed to be in the area.

My BIL had a Garmin (I'm not sure of the model), but he was unhappy with it and switched to a Magellen.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:41 PM

59 posts, read 318,384 times
my tom tom i got on black friday was only 120 and i think its that price now.. works great, no problems and it gets me where i want! its the one le model i think

Old 05-05-2008, 12:48 PM

24,448 posts, read 25,984,086 times
Either Magellean or Garmin. Just pick the model that suits your needs.

Old 05-06-2008, 05:13 AM

4 posts, read 26,963 times
Default Quality for price?

Well I read a really long (well, it was like 20 pages) review of the Garmin Nuvi 660 and it seems to be what I need, I only have a couple of concerns. I read that GPSMagazine awarded it best GPS system of 2006, I know a computer my brother bought in 2006 is now far behind the curve, is it the same way for this? Also, Is the Garmin Nuvi 660 the best value for the money, in other words, does anyone know of a GPS system as good as the 660 but cheaper, or better than the 660 for the same price (or cheaper)? I know you get what you pay for but it's always possible.

Old 05-06-2008, 05:51 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,999,132 times
Had a garmin, got rid of it and use my phone now. VZNavigator works well, updates regularly for free, has voice commands and actually tells you what's coming up instead of waiting to the last minute.
My brother is a local truck driver and he switched over to the verizon nav and it even tells him the truck routes available. I love it because you can turn it off and on at will or pay to have it live all the time if you want and since most of us always have a phone of some sort with us it's always there. It's also handy if you're walking in a city you don't know...

Old 05-06-2008, 06:29 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,761,940 times
I use a paper street map or a AAA road atlas. Cheap and gets the job done. Just the thought of a computer backseat nag-avating annoys me.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:08 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,995,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamer1612 View Post
Well I read a really long (well, it was like 20 pages) review of the Garmin Nuvi 660 and it seems to be what I need, I only have a couple of concerns. I read that GPSMagazine awarded it best GPS system of 2006, I know a computer my brother bought in 2006 is now far behind the curve, is it the same way for this? Also, Is the Garmin Nuvi 660 the best value for the money, in other words, does anyone know of a GPS system as good as the 660 but cheaper, or better than the 660 for the same price (or cheaper)? I know you get what you pay for but it's always possible.
Yep, today's whiz-bang electronics is tomorrow's dinosaur. That's just the way technology works. Look at the price of Plasma and LCD HD TVs now, compared to a couple of years ago.

The Garmin Nuvi 660 has been out a long time. That's why it currently sells for around $300 instead of it's original price of $700+. It's a bargain at $300, not at $700.

My advice would be not to buy a GPS that has features you don't care about. They all do basically the same thing. The additional features are what drives the price up. That's why Garmin and others have so many different models. Personally, I like the ability to integrate the Nuvi 660 with my car stereo and cell phone, but if you don't care about bluetooth, there's no reason to pay for it. The available software updating through my PC and Garmin web site is quick and easy too.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134

Last edited by mm34b; 05-06-2008 at 08:33 AM..

Old 05-06-2008, 09:41 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,758,544 times
buy a gps based on features you want.

magellan sports a comparable routing engine to garmin and is in the only one that has a AAA tourbook built in, which is very useful if you're a frequent traveller

tomtoms seem to have an inferior routing engine(in testing) but their price and simplistic controls make them fine for the job they do

garmins are all around similar to magellans in features and price, sans the AAA tourbook. i think people consider them to have the best interface

i bought a magellan maestro 4040 from costco for 200$ around christmas. ive been very happy with it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive