Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 08:14 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
as noted above ... the "fine print" has all the circumstances outlined where the dealer has the right to come back after a "deal is made" to adjust the numbers to fit the final circumstances of the deal. Trade values, pay-offs, interest rates are all subject to final determinations.

Hardly the stuff of bargaining in "bad faith" or not knowing good customer service.

My bet is that you didn't read or understand the contract doc's that you signed.
So I guess we now need t bring a lawyer with us to buy a vehicle so we could all understand every little detail on all the many documents we must sign? Wonder if the dealership would allow the customer to leave with the documents not signed so that he/she can take the time to read them in detail rather than spend several days trying to read them all within the deslership's offices only?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 08:17 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,246,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
So I guess we now need t bring a lawyer with us to buy a vehicle so we could all understand every little detail on all the many documents we must sign? Wonder if the dealership would allow the customer to leave with the documents not signed so that he/she can take the time to read them in detail rather than spend several days trying to read them all within the deslership's offices only?
No need for a lawyer, just read what you are signing. I have no idea why anyone would sign saying the agree with something they haven't read.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
No need for a lawyer, just read what you are signing. I have no idea why anyone would sign saying the agree with something they haven't read.
And would the dealer allow the customer to take all the documents home to fully read them before signing anything? I'm a quick reader and I would have a hard time reading every fine print on all those documents within a few hours.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:40 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
Quote:
And would the dealer allow the customer to take all the documents home to fully read them before signing anything? I'm a quick reader and I would have a hard time reading every fine print on all those documents within a few hours.
Every dealership that I've ever dealt with is more than happy to allow you adequate time to read the "fine print" of their standard form contract. All of them will gladly give you a copy of their "boilerplate" contract docs to take home and read for your enlightenment.

The bottom line is that the dealerships aren't stupid or without their "outs" to assure themselves that a deal that YOU make is something that they can live with, too. Hence the fine print re your trade in valuation, your final pay-off on your trade-in, hidden/non-disclosed issues with your vehicle (I've seen trucks traded in as 4x4's that turned out to be RWD only, for example), acceptance of your financing at the quoted finance rate, etc. ....

If you find that this type of process is too overwhelming, then there are many dealerships that will have a set price, set financing, and absolute concrete terms for your purchase which you have the opportunity to qualify for. Some of them deal through Costco or similar box stores, some of them are arranged through car brokers, some are stand-alone dealerships with a "one price" policy. As a consumer, you have the choice to do business with them. Can you get as good a deal as you can negotiate elsewhere? Maybe, maybe not. A lot depends upon how much you value your time and the prospect of aggravation to complete a deal elsewhere.

FWIW, I have a D-in-L who has consistently been in the top ranks of a software sales rep for one of the major players in the software industry. Recently, the #1 top sales person in their organization for their international sales group. Everything she sells is "negotiable", and it's all about the art of "the deal". It's most certainly not a "fixed price" sale or terms, by any means. With deals in the multi-million range, if not centi-millions, those folk all have their lawyers checking every dotted "i" and crossed "t". Their dealings ... on both sides of the table ... are not always what one would consider to be customer oriented, ethical, or "fair". I've heard her relate how a major sale went sideways over some relatively trivial perceived insult or perceived slight inbalance in the deal ... from either side of the negotiations table.

Old 06-24-2012, 01:03 PM

687 posts, read 1,377,305 times
Unfortunately these ploys are very common. The salesman makes a deal based on an interest rate number that they know will not be approved. They can then raise the price after you are emotionally committed and they can act likely they were trying to get you the best deal and blame it all on the financing company.

Old 06-24-2012, 01:04 PM

No, I want to take home and read the document the dealership wants me to sign, not a copy they say is exactly the same as what they want me to sign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Every dealership that I've ever dealt with is more than happy to allow you adequate time to read the "fine print" of their standard form contract. All of them will gladly give you a copy of their "boilerplate" contract docs to take home and read for your enlightenment.

The bottom line is that the dealerships aren't stupid or without their "outs" to assure themselves that a deal that YOU make is something that they can live with, too. Hence the fine print re your trade in valuation, your final pay-off on your trade-in, hidden/non-disclosed issues with your vehicle (I've seen trucks traded in as 4x4's that turned out to be RWD only, for example), acceptance of your financing at the quoted finance rate, etc. ....

If you find that this type of process is too overwhelming, then there are many dealerships that will have a set price, set financing, and absolute concrete terms for your purchase which you have the opportunity to qualify for. Some of them deal through Costco or similar box stores, some of them are arranged through car brokers, some are stand-alone dealerships with a "one price" policy. As a consumer, you have the choice to do business with them. Can you get as good a deal as you can negotiate elsewhere? Maybe, maybe not. A lot depends upon how much you value your time and the prospect of aggravation to complete a deal elsewhere.

FWIW, I have a D-in-L who has consistently been in the top ranks of a software sales rep for one of the major players in the software industry. Recently, the #1 top sales person in their organization for their international sales group. Everything she sells is "negotiable", and it's all about the art of "the deal". It's most certainly not a "fixed price" sale or terms, by any means. With deals in the multi-million range, if not centi-millions, those folk all have their lawyers checking every dotted "i" and crossed "t". Their dealings ... on both sides of the table ... are not always what one would consider to be customer oriented, ethical, or "fair". I've heard her relate how a major sale went sideways over some relatively trivial perceived insult or perceived slight inbalance in the deal ... from either side of the negotiations table.

Old 06-24-2012, 02:50 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
Quote:
No, I want to take home and read the document the dealership wants me to sign, not a copy they say is exactly the same as what they want me to sign.
If you're that paranoid that they would "bait and switch" by giving you a document that is different than the one that you'd actually be signing, then ....

I suggest that you not do business with any dealership except in cash ... folding green stuff ... and that you only buy a car upon a sales order/contract that has a specified out the door bottom line cash price which you pay in full upon acceptance of the deal and the vehicle.

That way, when you leave the lot with your purchase, the deal is completed and final for all parties concerned.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:04 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,403,299 times
I give a story that happen to me in 1979. That was the year when more front wheel drive cars were starting to be manufactured. GM announced their first reasonable priced mass produced front wheel drive--the X car. I order this car which was called the Citation from the Chevy Dealer. It was in big demand. About a month latter the dealer voided the contract based on the fact that they could sell this ordered car to someone else who was willing to pay more and they returned my deposit. A clause was in the contract that they had every right to make this move. I went on to buy my first Japanese Car.

Two years latter, I got a new job in sales and a new company owned Citation was ordered for my use. It was the worse car. It kept breaking down. I called AAA once and they asked if it was a citation and they told me it was a very common problem.

To this day, I thank that greedy slime. They are still in business selling new cars and I toast that old owner, long dead Mazel Tov. His son is now running the business but I will never cross their door to buy a car; I have bought several new cars since that time.

Livecontent

Old 06-24-2012, 09:41 PM

513 posts, read 1,581,414 times
They ate the number because I told them "one more cent, I am out". I don't care what banks tell them. It's their job to check the number correct. If they ain't sure banks will agree to this number, then don't throw them out. If you offer me something then for whatever reason want to go back on it, then I'm out. If you think you're the only place to buy a car, you're seriously wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Sounds like your issues is with the bank that financed the deal. The dealer thought they could get you this rate, the bank came back with a different one. What is the dealer supposto to? Eat the difference? Like you said the dealer is there to make money. It sucks they tried to "screw" you but it happens all the time( I sold cars for a period of a few months; could not deal with it, terrible business to work in) most of the time it has nothing to do with the dealer, and more to do with a huge number of external factors(problems with bank, customers lieing about income/financial situation) If your not happy don't buy the car, if you didnt get the rate you were promised, walk away, and get your financing at YOUR bank/credit union; that way you dont have to worry about this. Just get your cash price and your done.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:40 AM

426 posts, read 558,855 times
i had a buddy who signed the deal and took the car home. The dealership calls him and tells him they made a mistake on the price so he tells them tough nookies. They send their guys over to pick the car up and he has his buddy who is a cop waiting on them. Unbelievable and the dealership ended up closing years later but u are so right on the shame part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive