Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 12:58 PM

5,994 posts, read 19,908,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Something other than gasoline.
Like what? What would be a more reasonable choice than gasoline given the available infrastructure?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 01:39 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,012,304 times

Old 06-28-2012, 03:30 PM

2,812 posts, read 5,601,467 times
Quote:
I don't think anyone should be promoting gasoline burning transportation in poor countries. Are we trying to get them to jump in at the end of the oil era?
They need to get around, what else would they use? Electric cars are not exactly going to work there, we struggle with trying to get infrastructure set up here in a 1st world nation for those, never will fly in a place like Africa.

Old 06-28-2012, 04:06 PM

1,302 posts, read 2,934,829 times
How neat. This seems like a much cooler idea than the Yugo, and I mean that in all seriousness.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:37 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,158,919 times
I would get a Mobius 2 in a heartbeat, depending on the drivetrain. What is the drivetrain anyway?

Quote:
In case you haven't figured it out, mankind is going to burn fossil fuel until it runs out. What exactly are your concerns? Once fossil fuel is gone the combustion engine will continue to thrive on plant-derived alcohols and oils, this will be done with conventional ignition and diesel-type engines... technology that we have right now. The only reason we continue to burn fossil fuel is because more profit can be made with it vs the alternatives, i.e. it's CHEAP.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:35 PM

21,664 posts, read 24,798,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
I would get a Mobius 2 in a heartbeat, depending on the drivetrain. What is the drivetrain anyway?

In case you haven't figured it out, mankind is going to burn fossil fuel until it runs out. What exactly are your concerns? Once fossil fuel is gone the combustion engine will continue to thrive on plant-derived alcohols and oils, this will be done with conventional ignition and diesel-type engines... technology that we have right now. The only reason we continue to burn fossil fuel is because more profit can be made with it vs the alternatives, i.e. it's CHEAP.
This. Oil is filthy cheap in comparison to anything else. I'm sure the Leaf would hold up real well in undeveloped Africa. It looks sturdy enough for off-road recreational trips they like to make, and the electric grid is, as we all know, far more developed than it is in the Western world.

How dare those dirty third-world countries burn OUR oil, is pretty much what it boils down to. Unlike most of Africa, we actually have the means to live with substantial less oil than we use. It would cost us -- we might not be able to live in climate controlled 2,500 square foot houses with eight TVs, two big nearly-new SUVs, and a manicured lawn we water everyday. Damn Africans might ruin that for us if they start thinking they can use our oil... look at the Chinese! I mean, it's not like they even need the oil like we do.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:54 AM

9,327 posts, read 21,945,860 times
Quote:
Technology for electric and hybrid technologies cost more
You forget the target market is not upwardly mobile suburban Westchester, its Nairobi, Kampala, etc. etc.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:55 AM

9,327 posts, read 21,945,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowanStern View Post
One of the advantages of Russian cars back in the 60s and 70s, was that any mechanical breakdown could easily be fixed by the mechanic on a nearby collective farm, using a hammer and a vise grip. When automobiles first become widespread in West Africa, the most popular car was the famous Citroen 2CV, which had little difficulty making it across the Sahara Desert with a hundred gallons of jerry cans and a spare 375-cc engine strapped to the roof..

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/4465/2cv19481.jpg

That price was about US$600, and mileage 50 mpg.

The major change in auto technology since then is easily visible in an American car showroom. The modern car is an SUV designed for a housewife to drive to the hairdresser in a Dallas mall, and doesn't even have a spare tire, nor a place to put one. Conventional sedans are designed for the car rental fleet, to be driven from the airport to the five star hotel's valet parking. Africa has little use for a car with 12 speakers that parallel parks itself.
Welcome To Africa, Where Peugeots Never Die!

Old 06-29-2012, 11:59 AM

1,779 posts, read 4,004,115 times
All you need is a Peugeot . The 404 and 504 were made and sold in Africa for years (decades?) after European production was stopped. The ultimate rugged and comfortable cars!

Old 06-30-2012, 04:29 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,456,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
You have a point. This Joel Jackson cat should be taking advantage of sub-Saharan Africa's extensive electric-car-recharging infrastructure.
I was actually thinking there were plenty of water hoses hanging around in the boonies of Africa where cars can just be fueled with water.

I mean...how dare road-trippers in the boonies there even help the local economy by buying gasoline off of someone who's got a few gallons from a gas can to spare!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive