Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 05:22 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,930,050 times

Advertisements

So for the past couple of years going back and forth from home to college with a car I've been able to keep all of my clothes and valuables locked away in the trunk or cabin of my car. Well I got a "new" truck so I'm wondering what I can do to keep everything secure. Obviously with an open bed I can't lock my stuff away. It's a 16 hour drive to campus and it's almost always split into two days with an overnight stay at a hotel. I'm not too worried about stuff getting stolen during the day while driving but it is a concern at night when the truck will be unattended.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I only have this problem a few times a year so I don't really want anything too expensive like a lockable bed cover. I don't need it during breaks or during the semester. Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 05:30 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
Well I got a "new" truck so I'm wondering what I can do to keep everything secure.
You can't. You couldn't with a car either but now you really can't.
Quote:
...two days with an overnight stay at a hotel.
Short answer is no motel this time.
Quote:
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Tent in a camp grounds or sleep in the truck are the best bets...
or believe the night clerk at the cheap motel that it'll be OK to leave the truck parked by the office.
or maybe a couch surfing deal where you hope they live in a safe area?

Old 06-29-2012, 05:48 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,675,136 times
Rent a trailer.

Old 06-29-2012, 05:53 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Well, storing one's stuff in an automobile, even if it's a car, is not safe. Who is to say that the vehicle with all of the contents inside can't be stolen?

Just rent a storage locker around town, and keep your valuables there.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:02 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Get a small U-Haul trailer and connect it to your hitch and lock it. And if you're worried that someone may cut the lock then you can go to a store and purchase a door/window alarm and velcro it to the inside of the trailer.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:08 PM

245 posts, read 955,790 times
What about one of those huge "toolbox" storage units that attach to the bed of the truck, up against the cab? Sorry, I don't know exactly what it's called and I've never owned a truck but they look like they'd hold a good bit of stuff. I realize they're probably not cheap but realistically that's the only way to store anything as safe as you can in the bed of a truck. I'm not sure how much "stuff" you're hauling so I don't know if that would be sufficient or not. Just an idea though.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:09 PM

Well I never kept the most valuable stuff in the car. I know it's not perfectly secure in a car locked up but it would at least require quite a bit of effort to steal something. If something extraordinary happens like car theft then my stuff inside is the least of my worries. I'm just taking the stuff I need to move in to a new apartment for the school year so there's nothing super valuable and I don't need long term storage.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:14 PM

I looked up Uhaul and it would be around $140 one way so I'm not sure if that's what I want to do.
Does anyone know about how much a tool box in the bed would be or have any recommendations? If it's not too expensive I might do that. It would be a one time expense for several more trips.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:20 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Besides a hard tonneau cover, your options are pretty limited. If your truck has a tow hitch, you might consider a hitch-mounted trunk like this: 2012 Thule 665C Transporter Combi, 13 cubic foot Hitch Mounted Cargo Box but it's still $400-500.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:23 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
I looked up Uhaul and it would be around $140 one way so I'm not sure if that's what I want to do.
Does anyone know about how much a tool box in the bed would be or have any recommendations? If it's not too expensive I might do that. It would be a one time expense for several more trips.
$200-$700 depending on size and quality. Google "pickup truck storage box" or "truck tool box".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive