Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 11:03 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,533,746 times

Advertisements

Prius, Corolla, then Civic. Civic hybrid is a joke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 08:24 AM

841 posts, read 2,475,843 times
Thanks for all the responses. I went ahead and test-drove a Civic Hybrid this week. I've never driven a hybrid and don't know much about them except that they have great gas mileage. However, after test driving it, I really did not like it.

At the test driving route, I came around a ramp with a yield sign at the end. It should've been a stop sign because there is no space to merge into traffic and I had to stop. Once it was clear to go, I put my foot on the gas pedal and I barely moved!! I had to floor it - the RPM went all the way up to around 6k - and I was sloooooowly getting up to speed. It was so slow that I thought the car shut off and I was not moving...almost looked like it was coasting. Is this normal??? My husband says it is and I've read that the acceleration is not fast, but dang...that's dangerous! The first thing I did when I finally got moving was thank God for not having anyone behind me because they would have definitely smacked into the back of me!

I want to know...is this a normal "hybrid" thing or was that civic hybrid defective?

My husband still wants to go with the hybrid civic (I personally do not like the way the Prius looks...I actually hate the way they look) - so I am thinking if I should suck it up, learn how to drive again and get the hybrid or keep looking?

By the way, I am looking to get a used vehicle and I am trying to stay under $13k.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:42 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,737,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Why the heck is premium fuel used in a Civic? At roughly 20 cents a gallon more than regular, it is just a waste of money. Every auto expert that has commented on it insists that burning premium in a car designed for regular offers no advantages whatsoever and gains nothing.
This sounds odd, but I get better mileage using 93 octane fuel. On a typical week, I drive between 240 to 260 miles. Whenever I use a lower octane fuel, gas mileage drops to 27 mpg. Since owing the vehicle, I have never had to have the injectors cleaned. I add BG 44k every 15k miles as advised by mechanic who is trained by Honda.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:26 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,533,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samana View Post
Thanks for all the responses. I went ahead and test-drove a Civic Hybrid this week. I've never driven a hybrid and don't know much about them except that they have great gas mileage. However, after test driving it, I really did not like it.

At the test driving route, I came around a ramp with a yield sign at the end. It should've been a stop sign because there is no space to merge into traffic and I had to stop. Once it was clear to go, I put my foot on the gas pedal and I barely moved!! I had to floor it - the RPM went all the way up to around 6k - and I was sloooooowly getting up to speed. It was so slow that I thought the car shut off and I was not moving...almost looked like it was coasting. Is this normal??? My husband says it is and I've read that the acceleration is not fast, but dang...that's dangerous! The first thing I did when I finally got moving was thank God for not having anyone behind me because they would have definitely smacked into the back of me!

I want to know...is this a normal "hybrid" thing or was that civic hybrid defective?

My husband still wants to go with the hybrid civic (I personally do not like the way the Prius looks...I actually hate the way they look) - so I am thinking if I should suck it up, learn how to drive again and get the hybrid or keep looking?

By the way, I am looking to get a used vehicle and I am trying to stay under $13k.

Honda's lie to customers, they are not real hybrids like a Prius or Fusion. IMA is an "assist' It is alwayson and assists the engine. A Prius or Fusion for example can run on battery power alone, engine power alone or both at the same time. Its far more advanced technology.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:53 AM

1,412 posts, read 4,485,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
I'd stay away from the Hybrid if your going to keep it a while. Who wants to incure the battery replacement cost?

I would choose either the regular Civic or Corolla from these choices, depending on which one I liked better as far as ride/drive/comfort. I would consider them fairly interchangeable.

Battery replacements are very rare. After buying my Venza I was talking to the dealer about my Wife's Insight and the thought of trading it in. He explained if we trade it in because we are ready for a new car that is one thing, but do not trade it in based on fears of the battery. The modern hybrid batteries last a very long time. They have yet to replace any Prius battery which they have been selling since it came out.

Op you may be able to find a used Insight for that price. New they start out as low as 19k. Hers was the middle version, she is getting 41 mpg mostly city. Sure it is a little lower then a Prius, but for the same trim level the cost difference is not to bad.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:25 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,183,689 times
They're all good cars, but I would go with a Civic or Civic Hybrid due to better crash test ratings.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:41 PM

1,366 posts, read 3,346,548 times
I like both the Civic and Corolla, but not the hyrbid. Tough choice, but I give the edge to the Civic.

Old 07-07-2012, 03:27 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,610,891 times
I also have to vote for the Civic, I like Corollas but something stands out with the Civic. If it was Camry vs. Accord I would say Camry.

Old 07-07-2012, 03:50 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,175,782 times
The battery pack in the Civic hybrid takes up a lot of trunk space and you no longer get to fold down the rear seat. Not terribly useful.

Old 07-07-2012, 05:36 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,133,182 times
The Corolla is extremely reliable, and does everything well. I have a 2005 model, and it's given me zero problems. Just tires and battery are the only parts replaced on it in seven years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive