Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 01:18 PM

841 posts, read 2,474,819 times

Advertisements

I am trying to narrow down 3 choices:

I need to buy a car this week and after some reading and research, I decided to get either a Civic, Civic Hybrid or Corolla. I am planning on getting it used between 2006 to 2009.

Originally, I was only interested in the Civic Hybrid - but I keep reading that people prefer the regular Civic because a lot of people don't think there's a big difference in the MPG of the hybrid vs non-hybrid. And the Corolla...we'll...it's just another good, affordable gas efficient choice I made.

I just want to hear people's input and advice on my 3 choices. My main concern is getting good gas mileage. All 3 cars - are around the same price category - with the hybrid being a bit more expensive, but not my much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 02:44 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times
Personal preference, I choose the Corolla. Don't like the styling of the Civic in this generation. The Corolla is not offensive and is easy to live with. I test drove that generation Corolla on our horrible Louisiana roads and it was smooth and comfortable.

Old 07-02-2012, 03:47 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,736,285 times
I bought a 2006 Civic brand new. In six years of ownership, I have had to replace a motor mount and starter. At 90k miles, I plan to replace the timing belt and water pump. Both of the Civics I have owned haved proven to be very reliable as long as they are properly maintained. I average 29 MPG using premium fuel. I can usually fill up th tank for under $35.00.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:25 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,054,484 times
Go for the regular, non-hybrid Civic... They're not half as ugly as the Corolla, cheaper than a hybrid with great mpg and are reliable.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:56 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I drive a Civic Hybrid at work, and they are awful. You can't reach the door handle to close it once seated, the driver side window fell out one day, and the way the generative brakes work is just unsafe. You cannot inch forward at all as when parking, it lurches like a bad stick shift driver from a stop on a hill, and all the dash battery related instruments are distracting.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:01 AM

7,034 posts, read 14,474,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I drive a Civic Hybrid at work, and they are awful. You can't reach the door handle to close it once seated, the driver side window fell out one day, and the way the generative brakes work is just unsafe. You cannot inch forward at all as when parking, it lurches like a bad stick shift driver from a stop on a hill, and all the dash battery related instruments are distracting.
If you can afford a Civic Hybrid, I'd get a Prius instead.

I'm a bit partial to the Honda Civic (non-hybrid).. I've owned one for 13 years (and counting) and it's been very cheap to maintain and operate while providing satisfactory comfort and performance for day to day driving. I've heard similar things about the Toyota Corolla but I don't have any first hand experience with it.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:48 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,220,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GSstage1 View Post
Both of the Civics I have owned haved proven to be very reliable as long as they are properly maintained. I average 29 MPG using premium fuel. I can usually fill up th tank for under $35.00.
Why the heck is premium fuel used in a Civic? At roughly 20 cents a gallon more than regular, it is just a waste of money. Every auto expert that has commented on it insists that burning premium in a car designed for regular offers no advantages whatsoever and gains nothing.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:34 AM

7,034 posts, read 14,474,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Why the heck is premium fuel used in a Civic? At roughly 20 cents a gallon more than regular, it is just a waste of money. Every auto expert that has commented on it insists that burning premium in a car designed for regular offers no advantages whatsoever and gains nothing.
Not to mention premium fuel actually has lower energy content. You'll probably be getting 31 - 34 mpg if using regular instead of 29.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:48 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times
I'd stay away from the Hybrid if your going to keep it a while. Who wants to incure the battery replacement cost?

I would choose either the regular Civic or Corolla from these choices, depending on which one I liked better as far as ride/drive/comfort. I would consider them fairly interchangeable.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:47 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,494,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
If you can afford a Civic Hybrid, I'd get a Prius instead.

I'm a bit partial to the Honda Civic (non-hybrid).. I've owned one for 13 years (and counting) and it's been very cheap to maintain and operate while providing satisfactory comfort and performance for day to day driving. I've heard similar things about the Toyota Corolla but I don't have any first hand experience with it.

+1 about the prius if you can swing it...

3rd gen 2010 and up, 50+MPG if you can drive like an MPG champ during proper circumstances... easy 40+MPG even driving like a jackass.. Im getting 49-51MPG right now driving my much bigger/heavier company prius V thats rated at 44-40- 42 MPG combined.. around town and mixed 55-60 MPH two lanes.. I'm sure it'll go back down to 39-45MPG when I hit the highways again at 70-80MPH..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive