Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 07:05 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,530,849 times

Advertisements

Could it be possible for the two companies to share platforms and componets to make a roadster like the 914 for VW? It doesn't have to be 0-60 fast. It has to be reliable and corner like or better than Miata and be within the same price range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 03:40 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,018,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
I don't think the chassis under the A8 is the same used on the Phaeton and Continental. Also, if the chassis was originally developed for the Phaeton and the engineering wasn't sourced from Bentley, I think it's absolutely disingenuous to suggest it's a "bargain basement" Bentley.
Sorry about that, the A8 chassis is similar but constructed of aluminum as opposed to the Phaeton and Bentley's steel chassis. According to wiki (who knows the accuracy) the architecture was developed specifically for the Phaeton and Continental. Drive train is shared with the A8, or a non-turbo version of the Bentley W12.

Old 07-07-2012, 03:43 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,018,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Could it be possible for the two companies to share platforms and componets to make a roadster like the 914 for VW? It doesn't have to be 0-60 fast. It has to be reliable and corner like or better than Miata and be within the same price range.
That was the plan for the VW Blue Sport which is still in Limbo. I'm sure as long as it was geared more towards enthusiasts, it may not steal to many sales from the "open air fans" VW caters to with the EOS...but we'll see what VW thinks of the situation...if the price point is in Miata territory, it shouldn't hurt Porsche sales at all, who's version I'm sure would still costs thousands more than the VW...and likely be powered by a different, more Porsche inspired powerplant.

Old 07-07-2012, 07:35 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,530,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
That was the plan for the VW Blue Sport which is still in Limbo. I'm sure as long as it was geared more towards enthusiasts, it may not steal to many sales from the "open air fans" VW caters to with the EOS...but we'll see what VW thinks of the situation...if the price point is in Miata territory, it shouldn't hurt Porsche sales at all, who's version I'm sure would still costs thousands more than the VW...and likely be powered by a different, more Porsche inspired powerplant.
That's what I was thinking. They could use the basic VW 2.0 turbo

Old 07-07-2012, 08:03 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
That's what I was thinking. They could use the basic VW 2.0 turbo
There were faint whispers of Porsche developing a flat-four turbo for it, but that seems like a waste of resources unless they can use it in something else like maybe the entry-level Boxster/Cayman.

Old 07-10-2012, 04:41 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,099,655 times
It will be years before any VW involvement will show up in the lineup. Porsche just released the 991, 981 series, the 970 is still pretty new, and the Cayenne (958) is very new as well. So it'll be at least 3-4 years before they change anything in their model lineup.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:23 AM

340 posts, read 1,445,980 times
Skeeter, I suggest you look at VW's history. They have quite a few on worst used cars to buy list. Even if they no longer are in production, doesn't discount their ability to produce a trouble free product. I think you're giving them too much credit from what I'm reading. New Beetle, Passat, Cabrio, Routan (Dodge Caravan), Toureg ( voted dead last in cust. satisfaction at one time),their early fuel injection was always a nightmare and being replaced with carbs instead. Electrical has always been a weekness as well. I do agree with the TDI models being very fuel efficient and I'm sure Euro models for VW do very well.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:20 PM

1,742 posts, read 6,139,943 times
I'm sure they can make plenty of cars for women together

Old 07-12-2012, 11:51 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,420,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerfamily View Post
Skeeter, I suggest you look at VW's history. They have quite a few on worst used cars to buy list. Even if they no longer are in production, doesn't discount their ability to produce a trouble free product. I think you're giving them too much credit from what I'm reading. New Beetle, Passat, Cabrio, Routan (Dodge Caravan), Toureg ( voted dead last in cust. satisfaction at one time),their early fuel injection was always a nightmare and being replaced with carbs instead. Electrical has always been a weekness as well. I do agree with the TDI models being very fuel efficient and I'm sure Euro models for VW do very well.
The new VW models have improved quality. I did the research and yes agree they dont have good history.
My 11 Tiguan was assembled in Wolfsburg with transmission from Japan and Engine from Hungary.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:13 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novadhd5150 View Post
The new VW models have improved quality. I did the research and yes agree they dont have good history.
My 11 Tiguan was assembled in Wolfsburg with transmission from Japan and Engine from Hungary.
Read the '09 Tiguan consumer reviews: 2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV Consumer Reviews

Sounds like lots of issues. Hopefully, they've fixed them in your '11.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive