Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 10:39 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief
Nothing personal, Big George, but there's nothing scarier to me than riding behind a vehicle with unsecured (or poorly secured) items. I've had "close encounters" with ladders, a refrigerator door, a brand-new-in-the-box satellite receiver and a coupe of bicycles
I had a camper top fly off a pickup in front of me a few months ago. I just watched it sail over my Avy and land behind me.

Quote:
Here in NoVA, some of this stuff is the norm. It's nothing to be passed on the shoulder. I had a lady run a stop sign on me yesterday and blow a gasket at me. I politely gave her the finger and you'd think I insulted her mother. Don't get mad when you run a stop and wind up with 4600lb of Jeep up close and personal. I've had people run stop signs in front of me when I was on my motorcycle...put it up on it's nose more than once. I've seen red lights treated as rolling stop signs...apparently they don't apply to Benz and BMW women (in their defense, i've seen *one* guy do it. Usually, it's women though).
Its nothing new. We named it Stoptional years ago. Stop signs and red lights are now optional for stopping for. Here's the new rule for Red lights that turn Green. Count 3 seconds before moving your foot from the brake to the gas pedal.

My peeves are:
Being passed in front of while on an offramp.
Being passed on the right while on a onramp.
People who change lanes into the same position you're already sitting in.
People who signal after they've changed lanes.
Harvey Wallbangers who you keep on passing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 12:33 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,535,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
But...that's all the more reason to NOT tailgate one of those trailers!
EXACTLY! But, in none of the described encounters was I following too closely. In a couple, I've been in another lane.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:56 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,029,877 times
I've seen quite a few:

- Being passed on the shoulder
- Being passed in the turning lane
- Following behind an ambulance or fire truck

And my personal favorite: I once saw someone drive across the grass median on an interstate highway to make a u-turn.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:06 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,135,306 times
idiots on the road? the guy that passes a semi then hits the brakes to make a corner~ forcing brake lockup

the guy that passed the flagman and cop to go down the closed street~ I was taking my 30 ft out of the center that 25 ft wide road~ and moving along so it would only take me about 1/2 mile to stop

the bicyclists who said they had a right to the road~ doing maybe 5 MPH~ ditches on both sides about 20 ft deep~ cement truck coming at me~ I'm driving a rig that stops in about a 1/2 mile~ told the bike riders when I managed to stop that I'd rather fill out forms about how I accidentaly run over them than to die~ and got a funny look.

the guy the I pointed out the one way sign on the street that went around and came down the one way street the wrong way again and told me I was the problem, not him~ I shouldn't be there. From further experience He is a typical Arizona driver

Old 07-08-2012, 01:46 PM

8,488 posts, read 6,891,592 times
Some crazy drivers here. Stopped in right lane for a red light. Large jacked up pickup behind me wanted to make a right turn at the intersection. Drove completely onto the adjacent sidewalk passed me and made his turn.

Guy and his girlfriend on a motorcycle on I-8 during pm rush hour traffic traveling 70 plus mph doing a wheel stand.

I-5 late night in right lane a car length from an off ramp.Driver passes me on left at high rate of speed and pulls directly in front of me to the off ramp. He missed me by inches.

I also have a relative who road rages and his antics could fill a book. Amazingly he has never been caught by a cop.

Old 07-08-2012, 04:59 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,742,163 times
All in the Nashville area:

1. Once saw a driver in a left turning lane at a traffic light drive over (and nearly get stuck on) the concrete median in order to do a U-turn. The light was green and the driver could have just as easily pulled 20 feet forward and U-turned normally.

2. In fairly heavy traffic on I-24, just driving with the flow of traffic, when I looked down at my speedometer and noticed that everyone was going 90-95mph. But that's not the crazy part. Just after I realized this, a Mercedes blew past me, weaving in and out of traffic, like the rest of us were going 45mph! That driver had to be doing at least 130. I actually saw this frequently, but never quite at that level!

3. Saw a woman drive through someone's front yard to turn right because she decided she didn't need to wait for the light to turn green. The light changed shortly after that and she got stuck at another light.

4. With my brother in his old truck, a lady pulled out right in front of us to cross the street. To keep from hitting her, my brother laid on his brakes which in turn locked up the tires, making an awful screech. The lady then flipped us off.

5. Countless times I saw people using the bike lane for passing when another car was turning left on a busy two-lane road. This wouldn't be a problem if they slowed down and did it carefully, first making sure no one was, you know, actually using the bike lane for biking. But instead they would do it at full speed (50+mph) on curves where they couldn't possibly see ahead enough to do that safely. I almost hesitate to even mention this because it was so common I'd often see it numerous times in a single day, every single day.

I could spend all night revisiting all of the idiotic stunts I saw in that area, but those are some of the worst that I can remember at the moment, and I'm sure others will come to me later. Any time it rained I would see enough stupid crap to fill a book, and when it snowed things were so ridiculous I'd look for a hidden camera, because the only explanation for it was that someone was playing an elaborate prank on me.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:22 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times
I never understood people who pass you when you're already going at the flow of traffic by cutting to the adjacent lane, then flooring it, then cutting right in front of you. What's the point of passing one car and what's with the attitude?

A lot of times, when I see that a driver is doing this "stunt", I'll purposely speed up to prevent them from going from behind me to the space ahead of me, hopefully encouraging them to pass a few more cars ahead before merging in. It also seems that the vast majority of people who do this are young and drive a luxury car.

Example: http://www.lacantdrive.com/2009/03/0...heavy-traffic/

Last edited by ragnarkar; 07-10-2012 at 12:34 PM..

Old 07-10-2012, 12:59 PM

2,259 posts, read 4,753,512 times
I live in a residential area on a two lane road, connected to a four lane main road (two lanes north and south with turn lane) 40mph? and I've seen some yahoos passing people in the turn lane doing about 50-60 mph. Just the other days I was driving home on a similar road and this girl, in the passenger seat, in her stocking feet, was riding with the door open and her feet sticking out of the car to what appeared she was sliding her feet over the pavement. Or my favorite some kid driving in a twenty year old Honda with all different colored body panels covered in rust, with a poorly fitted body kit, and a muffler rotted off, whipping through traffic tailgating and passing people in the turn lane thinking they are driving some top end sports car in a 45mph zone.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:12 PM

482 posts, read 1,234,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
I had a camper top fly off a pickup in front of me a few months ago. I just watched it sail over my Avy and land behind me.
Had the same thing happen in the past. Camper top flew off on an interstate. Unfortunately, we were the ones that got to slam into it and demolish it. Good thing we were in a 20 ton truck.

My favorite of all time is the person that decides to stop at the end of an on-ramp, causing everyone behind them to almost rear end each other, then causing a nice traffic back-up.

My second favorite has to be the "Pittsburgh left".

Old 07-11-2012, 11:51 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,535,238 times
Nothing puts truckers oin edge than a vehicle that rides next to them for a prolonged period. You don't know whether they are up to no good or want to show you something you may or may not want to see. And, nowadays, there are so many cargo loads that are worth stealing, a car or light truck next to you (especially at night) is a cause for concern.

Some years ago, I was on I-95 in SC. It was well past midnight. A Ford Windstar van with tinted windows
rode next to me for what seemed like a hundred miles. Adding to my anxiety, was what looked like a part of a weapon sticking out of the slightly opened sliding window on the right side of the van. It was so hard to see it in the dark. After what seemed like a L-O-N-G time, the van sped off. I have NO idea what that was all about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive