Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 07:35 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,006,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony22 View Post
Nothing was checked in my car. The guy just plugged it in and that's it. Passed =)
He gave you a sticker, not an inspection.

Ever heard the term, "lick it and stick it?" lol

In NY, there is a comprehensive equipment and safety inspection, which would include having to pull a wheel. So your "inspector" did not do a proper NY inspection.

He had to plug it in, since the state now requires 1996 and later vehicles to have their computers read for engine codes and transmitted with VIN electronically to the state DMV for the car to pass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 07:50 AM

19,125 posts, read 25,323,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Have bodies been piling up on the turnpike since the law changed or something?
Would it make you feel any better if the one and only person killed by a dangerous vehicle was a relative of yours? Cars with bad brakes and other safety hazards should be off the road--period--until the defect is rectified.

People who drive around with dangerous vehicles are just one more illustration of the failure to accept responsbility for one's actions (and inactions)--something that is rampant in our society nowadays. In an ideal world, everyone would fix their cars before they caused injury to other folks, but in the world in which we actually live, that is not a reality.

So...it IS important to check whether or not people have actually acted in a responsible way with their vehicles, and that is through a thorough safety inspection.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:56 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
So the answer is "no" then?

Old 07-11-2012, 08:04 AM

The answer is...I am not aware of any uptick in accidents on the turnpike, but since the tolls have become incredibly high on that road, you don't actually see many older, badly-maintained cars on that road anymore. Folks with less money tend to stick to Route 1 and other "free" highways.

Now...how about answering my question?
Would it make you feel any better if the one and only person killed by a dangerous vehicle was a relative of yours?

Old 07-11-2012, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
The answer is...I am not aware of any uptick in accidents on the turnpike, but since the tolls have become incredibly high on that road, you don't actually see many older, badly-maintained cars on that road anymore. Folks with less money tend to stick to Route 1 and other "free" highways.

Now...how about answering my question?
Would it make you feel any better if the one and only person killed by a dangerous vehicle was a relative of yours?
Which resources do you think we should take away from to fund a program that has no clearly demonstrable benefits? How about police and fire protection? How would you feel if a relative of yours was murdered or died in a fire? Maybe we could take it away from nursing home inspections. How would you feel if an elderly relative died from neglect?

See, playing the "personalize the issue" game can be a fun little exercise but it's not a particularly useful tool for evaluating broad public policy issues, the efficacy of those policies, or questions of resource allocation. Your question assumes the program is efficacious, is an efficient allocation of resources, and that I personally benefit from it (or would if my state required safety inspections), none of which is particularly obvious. That's why an overwhelming majority of states have abandoned safety inspection requirements since the feds stopped mandating them. New Jersey isn't exactly blazing a new trail here.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:36 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,575,276 times
Depends on where you take it. My mechanic just plugs my car in and if it passes, I'm good. Certain shops do a thorough inspection so that they can find something wrong and tell you that it must be fixed before they can pass you. This is how they make extra money off of an inspection. I've seen people fail for their wipers.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:36 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony22 View Post
Nothing was checked in my car. The guy just plugged it in and that's it. Passed =)
Wow. Well, I hope he knows what he's doing, and that he does not come across a state review as they would frown upon missing half the inspection, and could pull his license. That's what happened to the garage I mentioned in a previous post, where they apparently passed and collected the fees. I had one car inspected by them, but I dropped it off and picked it up, so for all I know it sat on the back lot for a few hours.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 07-11-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Which resources do you think we should take away from to fund a program that has no clearly demonstrable benefits? How about police and fire protection? How would you feel if a relative of yours was murdered or died in a fire? Maybe we could take it away from nursing home inspections. How would you feel if an elderly relative died from neglect?
Actually, our esteemed governor has cut funding for police and fire protection, for assistance to nursing homes and hospitals, and medical care for the poor and destitute. So--I'm not quite sure what areas are left that could be cut. One area where we are breaking new ground in this state is in fostering more tax cuts for millionaires, thus leaving less funding for many services that impact the majority of the folks in the state.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:13 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,881,015 times
Quote:

So...it IS important to check whether or not people have actually acted in a responsible way with their vehicles, and that is through a thorough safety inspection.

Very much agree with a stricter inspection process. And not to make light of the situation, but have you seen PIMP MY RIDE based in California where they are emissions-only as well? Mirrors are hanging off the door, bumpers half off. Is this the kind of vehicle you want to follow on the freeway doing 65mph? Or maybe a wheel come flying off at your teenage kid's car right behind it? Absolutely stricter inspections.

Quote:

See, playing the "personalize the issue" game can be a fun little exercise but it's not a particularly useful tool for evaluating broad public policy issues, the efficacy of those policies, or questions of resource allocation. Your question assumes the program is efficacious, is an efficient allocation of resources, and that I personally benefit from it (or would if my state required safety inspections), none of which is particularly obvious. That's why an overwhelming majority of states have abandoned safety inspection requirements since the feds stopped mandating them. New Jersey isn't exactly blazing a new trail here.

Yes it may not be a good use of resources backed by factual proof that it keeps accidents to a minimum, but if I can choose my battles, I am behind this. What were the actual funds saved by removing the restriction? Did they implement security at the nursing home as a result? If you're to use the argument that it must provide benefits, you must say the same for any law upheld by the local gov't. And don't tell me you agree with every single one out there.

Last edited by ovi8; 07-11-2012 at 12:21 PM..

Old 07-11-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Actually, our esteemed governor has cut funding for police and fire protection, for assistance to nursing homes and hospitals, and medical care for the poor and destitute. So--I'm not quite sure what areas are left that could be cut. One area where we are breaking new ground in this state is in fostering more tax cuts for millionaires, thus leaving less funding for many services that impact the majority of the folks in the state.
Yeah yeah, blah blah blah. Take the hackneyed talking points over to the P&OC forum where the intellectual primates fling them at each other like the dung that they're worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
Yes it may not be a good use of resources backed by factual proof that it keeps accidents to a minimum, but if I can choose my battles, I am behind this. What were the actual funds saved by removing the restriction? Did they implement security at the nursing home as a result? If you're to use the argument that it must provide benefits, you must say the same for any law upheld by the local gov't. And don't tell me you agree with every single one out there.
So if I follow.... you're saying that unless all questionable polices are reviewed and redressed, none should be. Sounds like a formula for excellent governance.

Anyway this is an automotive forum, not a general policy forum. If you want to hash this out some more, I'll be glad to do it via DM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive