Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 09:35 PM

471 posts, read 1,607,354 times

Advertisements

Last week nearly half a gallon of milk was dumped on the carpet in our car and it sat there for nearly three days before we found out about it. Now a week later, yes, it smells incredibly bad.

Any advice on how to clean the carpet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 10:29 PM

1,308 posts, read 3,401,890 times
I think that I would unbolt the seats and actually remove the carpet and padding. You might be able to steam clean the carpet, but I would re-do the insulation and padding. Even if you use baking soda and all the other stuff, you are going to have a funky smell. Good Luck

Old 07-17-2012, 11:52 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Do what Miama suggest, then go get the car ozone bombed. The ozone helps immensely once you've removed the non-microscopic stench sources. I have my doubts you'll ever really be able to clean the carpet, I ended up just cutting out a piece that was under the driver's seat anyway. And that was from a small container of half and half sliding under the seat and leaking a bit undetected. I can only imagine the stench....

Old 07-18-2012, 12:23 AM

1,976 posts, read 6,859,287 times
You have to let the underneath dry. Wipe with carpet cleaner or shaving cream/foam and rub vigorously. Then coffee beans to take the smell out. Ventilation/air movement is very important, but try to park in a covered area so you don't create new problems-ie rodents moving in.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:35 AM

310 posts, read 1,024,922 times
After doing what the others have suggested, try placing a bunch of dryer sheets over the area. I know it works for cigarette smell in books.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:51 AM

1,548 posts, read 3,034,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lije Baley View Post
Last week nearly half a gallon of milk was dumped on the carpet in our car and it sat there for nearly three days before we found out about it. Now a week later, yes, it smells incredibly bad.

If you want to DYI, I agree with Miami above.

But, if it were me, I'd take it to be professionally cleaned. They may take out the entire carpet, clean underneath it, put professional-grade dryers on it, etc.

My former S.O. once accidentally left the windows rolled down on my car. We had literally monsoon-like rains for 2 days. Three days later when I needed the car again, I realized the windows had been down and I had inches of rain in the car and it was so musty - meh (and then there is the fear of mold eventually setting in, which I'm allergic to).

When it gets hot out, and what milk you missed (no matter how well you clean) bakes in the sun, you are going to wish you'd gone the professional route. I think it's worth it in the long run.

Good luck.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:45 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,270,240 times
Just sell it to my mother-in-law and get something different. She doesn't have any sense of smell, plus the nasty wet-dog odor from the Saint Bernard she takes with her everywhere will cover it up in no time.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:52 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,615,239 times
They make a protein remover for carpet cleaning. Call a professional household or commercial carpet cleaner and inquire.

My friend owned a carpet cleaning company. He was called out to clean a house carpet. After a few cleanings one did not want to clean. He finally got the owners to fess up. Grandpa had shot his brains out in that spot. Gary was a little upset as if they had only been up front he could have saved hours with the right cleaning compounds.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:31 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,370,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lije Baley View Post

Rug Doctor. The have hand attachments for cars & upholstery. Well worth the money.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:33 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,152,805 times
This might sound a bit odd but try this if it's not too large an area. Use an anti-dandruff shampoo that contains Selenium (Head & Shoulders for instance) on the area. It's a very effective degreaser and the selenium in it breaks down the fat molecules.

I've used it myself when a milk carton broke in the boot (trunk) and it works a treat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive