Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2012, 09:02 AM

319 posts, read 607,886 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm going to be moving from MA (Boston) to TX (Austin) in a few weeks and will need a new car there. I was just going to buy a car there but the few dealerships with the car that I want (2012 white/sand Mazda5) are asking ridiculously high prices (above MSRP) and don't seem to be willing to budge. I thought instead I would buy the car here and ship it there since there are many more dealers here and the sales tax is the same. Then it occurred to me, why not buy it in NH where there is no sales tax?

According to the Texas DMV website, since I'm a new resident I'll only have to pay a $90 fee to bring the car in. It will need to be registered in another state however. Since MA has the same sales tax rate that wouldn't do me much good. Can I register it in NH and then have it immediately shipped to TX?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 09:24 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,870,722 times
Here you go.

Vehicle Registrations | Registration | Division of Motor Vehicles | NH Department of Safety

In order to Register the vehical in NH, you have to established residency.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:43 AM

319 posts, read 607,886 times
Bummer. Would have been a great deal if I was moving from NH then!

Old 07-19-2012, 09:47 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,457,445 times
When I bought my last car out of state (I bought it in PA and I live in NY), they gave me a 30-day temporary tag. The dealer didn't collect any sales tax at the time of sale, but I had to pay the NY sales tax on it once I went to the DMV back in NY to register it here.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:32 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,870,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balor123 View Post
Bummer. Would have been a great deal if I was moving from NH then!
Maybe/maybe not. NH may not have a sales tax but there are multiples taxes for registration.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:44 AM

1,548 posts, read 3,020,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balor123 View Post
Hi,
I'm going to be moving from MA (Boston) to TX (Austin) in a few weeks and will need a new car there. I was just going to buy a car there but the few dealerships with the car that I want (2012 white/sand Mazda5) are asking ridiculously high prices (above MSRP) and don't seem to be willing to budge. I thought instead I would buy the car here and ship it there since there are many more dealers here and the sales tax is the same. Then it occurred to me, why not buy it in NH where there is no sales tax?

According to the Texas DMV website, since I'm a new resident I'll only have to pay a $90 fee to bring the car in. It will need to be registered in another state however. Since MA has the same sales tax rate that wouldn't do me much good. Can I register it in NH and then have it immediately shipped to TX?

Thanks!
No. Not unless you have residency in NH. You pay tax based on the state in which you reside, not on the state in which you purchase the car. I know firsthand. My last half a dozen cars were all purchased out of state.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:21 PM

5,640 posts, read 24,861,872 times
Typically you will have to pay the appropriate sales tax in the state it is first registered in, regardless of where the purchase is made. There are some exceptions where you will pay again as a 'use tax' on a re-registration where states have decided to stop people from avoiding tax on vehicle purchases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive