Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 01:25 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,292,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK360 View Post
They still ran high 14's and barely trapped 90mph on the track, slow even back then.
They were actually the match for most modern shop-built street rods, however, that had basic crate 350s and TH400s. And no street rod was taken to the track to find out how slow they were. Cars like this were what the Prowler was competing with:

The Prowler matched them in acceleration, beat them in handling and braking and came with a warranty. Take off the bumpers and they look the part, too, which is why they tend to hold their value pretty good.

They were also test beds for low cost, low volume construction with high tech materials (like the aluminum frame) and small team manufacturing. But they were never intended to be muscle cars or sports cars. Just factory built street rods with a warranty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 01:27 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgt View Post

Everything. I agree they are better in most ways, but they need to add styling to the list.
Do you think a new Camaro looks like one from the 60"s or 70's?

Old 08-06-2012, 01:27 PM
lgt

469 posts, read 1,342,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK360 View Post
They still ran high 14's and barely trapped 90mph on the track, slow even back then.

Only good for being old and thinking you have a hotrod.
Never said they were a hotrod or fast just a little faster than average. Hotrods are built not bought.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Agree to disagree. To me it's like going through cosmetic surgery to make you look old and modern doesn't mean generic.
Cars like my Mustang don't look old. They look, like 911s do, like continuations of the bodystyle updated as time goes by with modern cues. In fact, I think my Mustang now looks better than my 1970 Mustang fastbacks did.

Now, the Challenger looks like Chip Foose got ahold of an original one and modernized it. I'd have a Plum Crazy R/T Classic in a heartbeat as a cruiser.

And if the Mustang takes on the new Ford styling cues, it will look like a generic Taurus/Fusion/Focus or worse, a Japanese/Korean car.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:32 PM
lgt

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Do you think a new Camaro looks like one from the 60"s or 70's?

It's an enhanced 67-68. 70+ was a totally different body.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Never said they were a hotrod or fast just a little faster than average. Hotrods are built not bought.
Street rods are indeed bought from rod builders around the country. I even built them for customers at my shop. If you don't have the time or talent to build them, then buying them already built is a viable idea.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:40 PM

556 posts, read 1,228,168 times
Meh a crate 350 mated to a turbo 400 would provide more enjoyment then the dog powertrain in the prowler. Seems the market was old guys that wanted to look like they had a street rod. I do enjoy the 6.1 hemi swapped prowlers tho.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:43 PM
lgt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Cars like my Mustang don't look old. They look, like 911s do, like continuations of the bodystyle updated as time goes by with modern cues. In fact, I think my Mustang now looks better than my 1970 Mustang fastbacks did.

Now, the Challenger looks like Chip Foose got ahold of an original one and modernized it. I'd have a Plum Crazy R/T Classic in a heartbeat as a cruiser.

And if the Mustang takes on the new Ford styling cues, it will look like a generic Taurus/Fusion/Focus or worse, a Japanese/Korean car.
Are you kidding? By the fourth gen the Mustang looked pretty much nothing like the first get. The current Mustang has a LOT of similarities to the first gen. In the case of the 911 every gen has been an enhancement of the previous and has never had any huge change. As far as claiming the Mustang would look generic if it didn't go retro maybe, maybe not. If it did it would be because Ford wanted it that way not because it had to be.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:48 PM
lgt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Street rods are indeed bought from rod builders around the country. I even built them for customers at my shop. If you don't have the time or talent to build them, then buying them already built is a viable idea.
What I mean is they don't roll off assembly lines.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Are you kidding? By the fourth gen the mustang looked pretty much nothing lke the first get. The current mustang has a LOT of similarities to the first gen. In the case of the 911 every gen has been an enhancement of the previous and has never had any huge change. As far as claiming the Mustang would look generic if it didn't go retro maybe, maybe not. If it did it would be because Ford wanted it that way not because it had to be.
The '05-up cars look like continuations, not clones, of the '69-73 cars, as if the MII and Fox cars never existed. They didn't do what the Challenger did and blatantly copy the old cars, just made new ones that were evolved. As though they had been on that continuous path from '70, just like 911s (which did have the continuous production going for them). Which is different slightly from truly being retro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive