Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 02:01 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,327,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post

And, just to correct something from the original post, the car in front braking did not cause you to hit the car in front.
Driving too close to the car in front caused you to hit the car in front.

If you'd been at a safe distance, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Absolutely correct.
The OP should google "3 second rule" in order to find out about safe following distances.
Although I observe this rule, my observation is that...at most...about 10% of the drivers on the road do so.
And therein you have the cause of a huge percentage of the collisions that take place annually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 02:26 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,301,138 times
I wasn't following too closely. I crested a hill with a blind spot and the women behind him was already swerving to avoid collision when I came over the hill. I know I am responsible for her damages.

I doubt this will go to court because he has been convicted of a hit and run, DUI, 100mph in a 45 and driving on a suspended licence. Not even sure he has a licence which would make sense since he left the scene of the accident before the cops arrived. Also, there is no way he had whiplash from the accident, seeing as car #2 merely scraped his bumper with her licence plate. There was not actual collision (bump) that occurred.

Her insurance informed her he was seeking injury claims, not me, so other then being called as a witness, I doubt I will be involved.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:50 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer_Guy View Post
Was there significant damage to either of your cars?
Why don't people read the post they are replying to?

Old 07-23-2012, 04:56 PM

6,032 posts, read 9,212,031 times
It sucks when this happens especially if the damages are all under $2,000 < to the actual vehicles. Your insurance rates will be rated up for the next 3 years, but you can save $$ by switching carriers once this is all sorted out.

The good thing about all this is that your insurance company deals with this kind of stuff all the time and it is in their best interest to minimize the amounts paid out. They have the experience lawyers and know the system.

I wouldn't put a whole lot of energy into it as they will work for you. Additionally this is a good lesson in society as THERE are a huge amount of people like car #1 out there.

I have an accident that was rated as my fault coming off my insurance in September. There was someone driving in the center turn lane who hit me. I should have just paid out of pocket.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:59 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,204,051 times
It would be in your best interest for the case to go to court and not settle with the guy that slammed on brakes. In court before a jury it would be brought out that he has a bad driving record and that could cost him the case. Most likely your insurance will settle because it is cheaper for them to do so. Someone needs to teach this fool a lesson.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:51 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,301,138 times
^^ Thanks for the above advice. My stomach has been in knots all day even though I didn't actually hit car #1. I have a completely clean driving record and do not tailgate ever or speed. Car #2 and mine are both 2011's which adds insult to injury here. I know from my brother who was in his grad in high school that the kid has always had issues with the law as well as drugs and his record proves it (fleeing scene of accident with injured victims involved in 2009). Luckily I wasnt injured and I assure you his injuries are fictitious. People like this are making a mockery of our court/judicial system. Someone with a hit and run and 100 in a 45 should NOT be allowed to have a license.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:27 PM

1,548 posts, read 3,034,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
The same reason they put words in people's mouths: laziness.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:09 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,074,346 times
FIRST, you should not be talking about this in an Internet forum.

You should not talk to any of the other parties after exchanging insurance information.

You do not talk to or give a statement to anyone other than the police when you do the accident report, YOUR insurance agent, and/or YOUR lawyer, unless they know about it and told you to.

All that said, let your insurance company take care of it, they have done enough research to know when things are exaggerated and when the accident was "intentional".

I don't quite follow how car #2 swerving would cause you to hit her, if she swerved into your lane, it becomes HER fault.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:17 AM

458 posts, read 1,249,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Wow useful post contributing a lot to the conversation

If you hadn't noticed we were several posts into discussion and I recalled he said ~$200 to one car but forgot he said "pretty significant damage" to the other two. My apologies that I offended you even though you have provided no other single post to this discussion. Guess I should have just asked him to estimate how much damage instead? The fact that the other driver left the scene where significant damage was done to one or more of the vehicles involved could effect the outcome. At the very least it would hurt his credibility if this goes to court.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:32 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer_Guy View Post
Wow useful post contributing a lot to the conversation
No less useful than asking a question that has already been answered
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive