Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 07:31 PM

24,401 posts, read 23,056,554 times

Advertisements

I was thinking about getting one. I'd like to tape my drive across the state. So you plug it into the cigarette lighter to power it and then record? How long would you be able to record? And what memory card or tape would you use? Whats a good cheap brand? I'd also maybe like to have it to record on shorter local trips and then record over it if nothing happens( which is most likely).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 08:10 AM

442 posts, read 455,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I was thinking about getting one. I'd like to tape my drive across the state. So you plug it into the cigarette lighter to power it and then record? How long would you be able to record? And what memory card or tape would you use? Whats a good cheap brand? I'd also maybe like to have it to record on shorter local trips and then record over it if nothing happens( which is most likely).
Any updates on good, affordable models? I would like to have them put in the front and back.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:20 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,093,624 times
Check out GoPro's lineup. Most of the guys I know with in car cameras use those.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:00 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,893,390 times
I set up an otherwise unused old Flip camera with an $11 windshield mounting bracket from Amazon, mounted upside down (just the peculiarities of the bracket and mounting hardware on the camera) I can flip the video on software on the computer. The battery lasts a good while (several days) but the downside is the hard drive fills up pretty fast, less than an hour, so I erase the video with a couple quick button inputs either when I'm parking or longer stop light if I need to.

I don't know if it will save me but I've gotten in an accident (and countless near misses) arriving first at all-way stop signs intersections and making a left turn when oncoming traffic proceeds straight through out of turn (there is something about 4-way stops that clearly confuses many drivers). I called the police immediately and they would not respond to a non-injury/non-disabled vehicle accident so we were left to the insurance companies and found to be equally at fault- even though the positioning of the vehicles when struck clearly had me way into the turn, almost completed, from a left turn only lane with signal on!

To this day I almost get hit at least once a month at that intersection exactly as happened before, and next time, I'll be ready. I consider it cheap, if not perfect additional insurance and completely disagree that there is some legal breach that I am potentially violating when filming in public roadways.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:57 AM

19,023 posts, read 27,579,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
I've considered getting a Dash board camera in the past, but my wife thought it was a silly idea. Well she was just involved in an accident today, where the driver ahead of her cut her off by making a left turn from the right lane right in front of her. She was able to avoid hitting the car, but got rear ended. Since the car that caused the accident wasn't hit and took off, the police wrote it up as a no-fault accident. If she would have had a camera that recorded the incident, the police could have tracked down the careless driver, wrote them a ticket and found them at fault. Now she has to pay a $500 deductible to get the car fixed. Now suddenly having a dash camera doesn't seem like such a stupid idea after all. Can anyone recommend one? Ideally I'd like to have something that records when the car is moving, and is plugged in so you can just forget you have it and pull the video off it if you ever need it. Something that peeks through the front grill on the car is even better.
I can definitely recommend hiring an attorney and recovering a lot of $$ you will lose, if you do not. NONE of the other driver insurances will pay for what is called "future loss of health and ability to be employed", unless you have attorney on it. And if her vehicele was rear ended, she HAD whiplash injury.

I spoke. ANd I, unfortunately, know very well what I am talking about.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:06 PM

307 posts, read 684,877 times
I use one in my semi, and car. Can't read the plates but the rest shows up good. I'm going with the gopro next.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:38 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,202,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Would this be acceptable in a court of law? Can you record someone without their consent and then use it as evidence?
Sure you can as long as it is on a public road..You have no privacy protection if you do something in public..

Old 02-19-2013, 04:52 PM

84 posts, read 180,993 times
I own a dash cam. If my dash cam can prevent me from paying my $500 deductible, I am all for it. I have captured a few idiot driver since I purchased it. Now that Washington State legalized the recreational use of pot, I am scared to drive. I have one mounted in my van and Camry. I would suggest anybody and everybody get a dash cam if they can afford it.

RV going 4x4 over center divider - YouTube

Fast forward to 2:10 and see the RV jump the center divider.

Red Light Runner On Dash Cam - YouTube

Red light runner. Jump to 2:13 to see the red light runner.

I own two FineVu CR500HD's that record in full 1080p. THis is a full DVR sustem and loop records 24/7.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:32 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,082,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFather View Post
I own a dash cam. If my dash cam can prevent me from paying my $500 deductible, I am all for it. I have captured a few idiot driver since I purchased it. Now that Washington State legalized the recreational use of pot, I am scared to drive. I have one mounted in my van and Camry. I would suggest anybody and everybody get a dash cam if they can afford it.

RV going 4x4 over center divider - YouTube

Fast forward to 2:10 and see the RV jump the center divider.

Red Light Runner On Dash Cam - YouTube

Red light runner. Jump to 2:13 to see the red light runner.

I own two FineVu CR500HD's that record in full 1080p. THis is a full DVR sustem and loop records 24/7.
I think it's great you got the dash cams for a variety of reasons but I think the legalization of recreational pot use is the least of your worries. Pot smokers tend to be incredibly careful drivers particularly in comparison to drunks and people on other legal prescription meds.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:09 PM

334 posts, read 450,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
And cameras at traffic lights? Is there a sign on the traffic pole stating if you drive through this intersection you consent to be recorded and ticketed if you run the red light? I think not. If it was so easy to get this evidence thrown out, all outdoor cameras would be illegal, since the people walking by are not consenting to be recorded.

There are signs(here anyway), that state traffic control cameras are in use.

If I can remember, I will take a picture of one and post it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive