Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 07:01 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,881,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Or you could buy a stock 10-year-old Bonneville SSEi and run circles around all of those cars while still looking great, getting 30 MPG, and starting on the first try on sub-zero mornings without getting your hands dirty.
or, i could take that bonneville, rip the motor and trans out, and swap them into a 74 pontiac ventura, upgrade the suspension with Z/28 camaro parts, and have a car that looks a lot cooler, still gets 30mpg, and puts down BMWs when the road gets twisty, and has the added benefit of being smaller.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 07:30 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,893,930 times
I grew up in the 60's and had many rare and fast Musclecars like Judges, Roadrunners, Z16 Chevelles, Chargers, and now own new musclecars.. I can compare.. Which would I rather drive? The new ones.. Love the older cars but they were not nearly as fun to drive as what we have today. And btw, the old days you were very lucky to make 100k miles. Today 200k is the norm. Rust and wear items were the culprit back then. Frond end parts were always wearing out and the bodies and floors rusted almost overnight. it was not unusual to see 5 year old with holes in the quarters in the 70's

Old 07-27-2012, 07:41 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,202,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
The problem with different points of view expressed in this thread, boils down to what the definition of "cool" is.
What is cool too one may not be cool too another, so how could there be a general definition of what cool is?
For instance,four months after graduating from high school in 1956, I bought my first car.
It was a brand new 57 Ford convertible.
I worked at an early age, and saved every penny I made, because at thirteen, I was smart enough to know that when I turned sixteen, I would want a car.
I paid cash for the car, and to say this car was "cool" would be an understatement.
There wasn't another teenage kid in the entire town that had a brand new convertible.
By today's generation, my Ford wouldn't come close to being cool.
So, I think cool is in the eye of the beholder.

And by the way,I still think it is a cool car.
Wish I still had it.
Bob.
Your car IS a cool car. There have always been cool cars. I just don't think there were more of them in "the old days" (whenever that was).

I love the old Lincoln Continental (suicide doors). Split window Vette. Original Mustang fastback. T-bird. Cadillacs with fins. Lamborghini Miura. Toyota 2000 GT. Aston Martin DB5. BMW 2002. Datsun 240Z. Datsun Fairlady. BMW CSI. Acura NSX. Mazda Miata. Mini Cooper. Audi 5000. Viper. Lexus LS. VW CC. Subaru WRX STI. And many more....

Old 07-27-2012, 08:23 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,289,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
or, i could take that bonneville, rip the motor and trans out, and swap them into a 74 pontiac ventura, upgrade the suspension with Z/28 camaro parts, and have a car that looks a lot cooler, still gets 30mpg, and puts down BMWs when the road gets twisty, and has the added benefit of being smaller.
You're going to convert a GM X-body to front wheel drive? That actually would be pretty cool.

I realize the Ventura is a compact and the Bonne is full-size, but the Ventura wheelbase is only a couple of inches shorter so they're essentially the same size.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:18 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,881,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
You're going to convert a GM X-body to front wheel drive? That actually would be pretty cool.

I realize the Ventura is a compact and the Bonne is full-size, but the Ventura wheelbase is only a couple of inches shorter so they're essentially the same size.
shows you how much i care about late model bonnevilles. i forgot about them being wrong wheel drivers. on the other hand i could yank the LSx engine and trans from a proper rear drive car and swap them into the ventura, and still approach 30mpg in a much cooler and better looking car. there is a reason pontiac was killed by GM.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:57 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,289,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
shows you how much i care about late model bonnevilles. i forgot about them being wrong wheel drivers. on the other hand i could yank the LSx engine and trans from a proper rear drive car and swap them into the ventura, and still approach 30mpg in a much cooler and better looking car. there is a reason pontiac was killed by GM.

Whatever you say.

Old 07-28-2012, 12:50 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,632,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
Everything in this country has been pussified. What most people want now are cars that are safe and economical.
I rolled a 1968 122 Volvo and survived without a scratch. My brother rolled a 1975 Volvo 165 several times at high speed and only lost his glasses. I will take safe over cool any day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
The problem with kids these days give up the cool factor for bluetooth, A/C, a good stereo, remote start, etc. When I got my license I could careless about that stuff, I just wanted a cool car. I got my license in 1993, I sold my Cannondale mountain bike and took some cash I had saved up and bought a 66 Mustang. Talk about basic...but who cared, I was driving a cool classic. I didnt care about a killer stereo, or any of the ridiculous options that cars come with these days. In fact, I dont think I would have even driven a Hyundai or something comparable if I had been given one.
When you got your license there was no bluetooth, remote starts or good stereos. My god I wish I had back a small bit of the money I spent on audio.

Old 07-28-2012, 01:57 AM

774 posts, read 1,695,025 times

I actually think old cars are cooler than new cars but there are still a ton of cool cars nowadays.

Trouble is, everyone in the U.S. drives fat-ass SUVs instead

Old 07-28-2012, 07:24 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,868,643 times
^^SUV's, while practical for some, are not cool. Even if they seem cool when they're new, they don't hold onto that vibe for long. The exception might be a Wrangler if you're into that, but those don't change much.

I think every generation has it's cool cars. It just seems like today's cool cars are way more expensive. New cars especially take up a greater percentage of your paycheck. In today's world, you're not going to start working a part time job at 13 and save up every penny until 16 to buy a new convertible. Kuddos to the guy that did way back when. Today, you'll be searching the used ads for a clunker that doesn't need too much work.

Speaking of working on cars, todays cars aren't that bad to work on. Seriously. For those moments you feel you need to have special powers just to reach something, they probably make a tool for that... which makes it surprisingly easy. Yeah, you'll need access to real tools and not just the basic wrenches Sears sells... which are fine by the way. I suppose Snap On and the like sells online if you can't get to one of their trucks. I also think cars were a lot more similar mechanically in the old days (pre-80's maybe pre-70's emissions and all that). Not that they were exactly the same, but it shouldn't have taken much to figure a new one out if you knew another brand pretty well. That sort of holds true still, but there are informational sources you'll need access to in order to get very far. Or a good search engine.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:15 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,033,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
^^SUV's, while practical for some, are not cool. Even if they seem cool when they're new, they don't hold onto that vibe for long. The exception might be a Wrangler if you're into that, but those don't change much.
I have to agree mostly with this. There are very few SUV's that would really distinguish themselves with maybe a couple acceptions due to rediculous engines/performance, such as a Grand Cherokee SRT-8, or Porsche Cayenne, or also maybe a Nissan Murano convertable.

Wrangler is the other acception, but that is due to it's uniqueness. It is certainly not representative of what SUV's typically are these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive