Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 09:22 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,496,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archguy View Post
Well, that was eye-opening. Minivans in the USA get horrible fuel mileage!

(The Mazda 5 shows 21mpg city)

Gas Mileage of 2012 Minivan

There are far more economical models available overseas, but I guess the mfr's figure that Americans won't buy them.

Frankly the Ford Escape is one of the least-offensive SUVs and is available as a hybrid too but you're right, minivans tend to be safer, more stable, and cheaper to insure (partly for demographic reasons). I thought they were more economical too.

Consider:

Fuel Economy of the 2012 Toyota Prius v

and
o
Fuel Economy of the 2012 Honda Fit

(but your dog may be too large...)

and

Fuel Economy of the 2012 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen

I applaud you for focusing on the EPA city figure. Used to be mfr's were required to quote both, now they get away with advertising only their hwy mpg and most people drive locally most of the time.
wrong about that.. BOTH numbers are still on the sticker.. just BELOW and much smaller than the LARGE, BOLD number which is a COMBINED mpg number.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 09:28 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,252,722 times
Minivans definitely get better gas mileage. I had a Dodge Caravan when my kids where in school, then a Jeep Grand Cherokee and now a Jeep Wrangler. The Caravan got much better gas mileage than either Jeep. Of course, 4 wheel drive makes a difference too, but I rarely need to use the 4 wheel drive.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:32 AM

88 posts, read 687,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SentimentalDemon View Post
I keep reading everywhere that minivans have better fuel economy than SUVs, but I can't seem to find a minivan that can beat 19mpg (I'm not counting highway mileage because I almost never have the opportunity to drive on the open highway). Meanwhile, you can get a Ford Escape at 22mpg (2008 Ford Escape). So, what gives?

I have zero self-consciousness about image; I'm more than happy to drive a minivan if that makes the most sense. But, I'm not hauling around a large family---it's just me (short female, no need for legroom), kiddo (bulky carseat in the middle of the backseat), and a sizable dog (collie) in the cargo area. So, the Ford Escape has suited me just fine so far, even though I certainly don't tow anything or require off-roading (though my driveway is on a pretty steep hill). However, I'd certainly switch to a minivan if it made sense in some other way---cheaper to buy, cheaper to fuel, etc. I've read they are safer for kids, which would be a compelling reason if true. I've heard rumors that a minivan is also cheaper to insure.

Thanks!
Kind of unfair to compare a minivan than can carry 8 plus cargo to a 5 passenger compact SUV/crossover. If you don't need the space or convenience of a minivan then a compact SUV will be the more economical choice.

The difference between a minivan and a full size SUVs economy is marginal. In addition to slightly bettter fuel economy a minivan has sliding doors and the ability to go two or three wide with car seats in the middle row and still have access to the last row of seats. Try putting car seats in an SUV and climbing through the traditional sized door to the back row. Plus when using the thrid row of most SUVs cargo space is compromised more than in a minivan.

For the ultimate people mover with decent mileage take a minivan. For a truck with people moving capability go with an SUV.

Old 07-29-2012, 11:15 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,833,505 times
If your tlkig a full size SUV definitely the mini van gets real world better miage. I've owned both.

Old 07-29-2012, 11:59 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,124,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwells3030 View Post
Kind of unfair to compare a minivan than can carry 8 plus cargo to a 5 passenger compact SUV/crossover. If you don't need the space or convenience of a minivan then a compact SUV will be the more economical choice.

The difference between a minivan and a full size SUVs economy is marginal. In addition to slightly bettter fuel economy a minivan has sliding doors and the ability to go two or three wide with car seats in the middle row and still have access to the last row of seats. Try putting car seats in an SUV and climbing through the traditional sized door to the back row. Plus when using the thrid row of most SUVs cargo space is compromised more than in a minivan.

For the ultimate people mover with decent mileage take a minivan. For a truck with people moving capability go with an SUV.

This. Minivans are more space efficient for their gas consumption.
The Mazda 5 is a more apt comparo to the Escape while a Sienna is not.

Old 07-29-2012, 12:24 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,167,133 times
Some of you just don't get the idea of comparing similar vehicles.

The Ford Escape (prior to the 2013) is a compact SUV. It is barely a crossover. It is based on an old Mazda 626 chassis.

The Escape is FAR SMALLER than today's minivans (Sienna, Odyssey, Chrysler T&C) and cannot be compared to them. Today's minivans have as much space as a Tahoe or Ford Expedition. Compared to those vehicles the minivans are much more efficient.

The Mazda5 is an unusual mini-minivan. It has three rows but carries six, not seven or eight. The Escape is a marginal 5 passenger vehicle. The Mazda5 has dual sliding doors like a minivan, but is based on the Mazda3 chassis.

A Chevy Astro is not a minivan. It is a complete truck based van, just not as big as a full size van like the Ford E-Series.

A Toyota Sienna V6 has EPA estimates of 18/25 compared to 14/20 for an Expedition (or 17/24 for a GMC Acadia).

Old 07-29-2012, 12:27 PM

57 posts, read 138,452 times
Thanks all, wow, a ton of great responses. So, the key is that all these articles that seem to be written to shame SUV owners (i.e. saying that if you aren't going off road, you're making a big mistake just for the image) are assuming we're talking about a *full size* SUV versus a minivan. Aha! So it does sound as though replacing my old Saturn with an Escape would be the way to go, especially since there are so many used ones out there to choose from. The only problem I ever have with kiddo's dad's Escape was that it seems to be slow to start and always wants to have battery issues, but other than that it has been solid in every way.

My only hesitation, then, would be if a minivan would be significantly safer to drive than a small SUV (crossover, whatever you want to call it), in which case I'd be willing to let that trump fuel consumption (people drive like maniacs around here, I know somebody who has been rear ended 4 times in the past year). Arguably, I might only be a couple years out from carpools and playdates anyway, who knows. But I agree---I have no desire to own more car than I need. Plus, I suspect the relative safety of minivans has more to do with the psychology of the driver, and I'm going to be the same cautious mom driver in either vehicle :-)

Old 07-29-2012, 12:48 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,446,771 times
FWIW, I have an '04 Toyota Sienna LE, 6-cylinder engine. I bought it primarily for carpooling and long trips. I retired 4 years ago, so no more carpooling!

When we carpooled (mostly I-95 in N. Virginia) and when we take it on long trips (going to Vermont next month), the mileage is consistently 25mpg or a bit higher. Around town, it's more like 18-20mpg.

Old 07-29-2012, 01:17 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,028,436 times
Quote:
Thanks all, wow, a ton of great responses. So, the key is that all these articles that seem to be written to shame SUV owners (i.e. saying that if you aren't going off road, you're making a big mistake just for the image) are assuming we're talking about a *full size* SUV versus a minivan. Aha! So it does sound as though replacing my old Saturn with an Escape would be the way to go, especially since there are so many used ones out there to choose from. The only problem I ever have with kiddo's dad's Escape was that it seems to be slow to start and always wants to have battery issues, but other than that it has been solid in every way.

My only hesitation, then, would be if a minivan would be significantly safer to drive than a small SUV (crossover, whatever you want to call it), in which case I'd be willing to let that trump fuel consumption (people drive like maniacs around here, I know somebody who has been rear ended 4 times in the past year). Arguably, I might only be a couple years out from carpools and playdates anyway, who knows. But I agree---I have no desire to own more car than I need. Plus, I suspect the relative safety of minivans has more to do with the psychology of the driver, and I'm going to be the same cautious mom driver in either vehicle :-)
Where on earth do you live that drivers are so aggressive & irresponsible?!

Old 07-29-2012, 01:18 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,676,799 times
Quote:
I keep reading everywhere that minivans have better fuel economy than SUVs, but I can't seem to find a minivan that can beat 19mpg (I'm not counting highway mileage because I almost never have the opportunity to drive on the open highway). Meanwhile, you can get a Ford Escape at 22mpg (2008 Ford Escape). So, what gives?

I have zero self-consciousness about image; I'm more than happy to drive a minivan if that makes the most sense. But, I'm not hauling around a large family---it's just me (short female, no need for legroom), kiddo (bulky carseat in the middle of the backseat), and a sizable dog (collie) in the cargo area. So, the Ford Escape has suited me just fine so far, even though I certainly don't tow anything or require off-roading (though my driveway is on a pretty steep hill). However, I'd certainly switch to a minivan if it made sense in some other way---cheaper to buy, cheaper to fuel, etc. I've read they are safer for kids, which would be a compelling reason if true. I've heard rumors that a minivan is also cheaper to insure.

Thanks!
It's all physics, driving habits and daily maintenance of your vehicle. There is no magic vehicle that gives you lots of room for cheap. Also there is only 114,000 Btu's of energy per gallon of gasoline , diesel has 129,000 Btu's per gallon, of which about 1/2 to to 2/3 is wasted in heat being lost to MPG for driving.

Gas or diesel the physics be the same.........
http://cumminsengines.com/assets/pdf...whitepaper.pdf

A 200 Mile Per Gallon car? The physics of MPG. - The Energy Blog

http://physics.ucsd.edu/do-the-math/...g-on-gasoline/

Insurance is based on the claims rate (and $$$ amount per claim) for that vehicle in your local area. Always as the insurance agent for the "symbol" of the car you want to buy.

How are insurance rates determined? | Missouri Department of Insurance, Financial Institutions & Professional Registration

Last edited by Grandpa Pipes; 07-29-2012 at 01:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive