Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 09:08 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,251,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
Statistics are just that - statistics. Like those from our last election, the only thing that matters is what happens, not what the statistics say. Anecdotally, within my sphere of knowledge via friends and a club, I know of at least 25 Land Cruisers with over 300k miles on them. I ride in Prius taxis all the time with 800k-1m miles on them (pretty much any taxi in Seattle or SF). All 3 of the guys I know that have Lexus LSs have well over 200k and one has well over 300k. And they don't sell them because they are reliable.

Tells me all I need to know.
Everything you've said is an attempt to project your personal experience onto the meta-group.
A statistic with a sample size of one (you) or even 25 (still an extremely small sample) is dubious support when applied to a generalized claim.

Credible reliability sites (CR, TrueDelta) never publish such without at least a sample size disclaimer warning.

Last edited by eaton53; 05-26-2017 at 09:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2017, 10:41 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,090,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Everything you've said is an attempt to project your personal experience onto the meta-group.
A statistic with a sample size of one (you) or even 25 (still an extremely small sample) is dubious support when applied to a generalized claim.

Credible reliability sites (CR, TrueDelta) never publish such without at least a sample size disclaimer warning.

Actually, Stonepa is right about your 180k mile chart and theory/stats. Industry average fro cars is 12k miles per year. How long will it take for cars to get to 180k miles at that rate? That puts newer cars and weekend cars (like Porsches) at a distinct disadvantage as they haven't had time to rack up those sorts of miles. It also puts trucks and basic commuters right in the thick of things as they WILL rack up the miles. It's not anecdotal, it's basic math. If you do less than 7000 miles a year, or have been around less than 15 years, you will not have that many miles showing to fit the survey.

In your graphic, you have MINI, Porsche, Smart and Fiat at 0. We know there are Porsches out there with more than 180k on them. And the rest haven't been around long enough to rack up the miles (especially Smarts that are primarily city cars, so see way less than the industry average annual miles put on them, and have only been around a few years).

Old 05-26-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
Actually, Stonepa is right about your 180k mile chart and theory/stats. Industry average fro cars is 12k miles per year. How long will it take for cars to get to 180k miles at that rate? That puts newer cars and weekend cars (like Porsches) at a distinct disadvantage as they haven't had time to rack up those sorts of miles. It also puts trucks and basic commuters right in the thick of things as they WILL rack up the miles. It's not anecdotal, it's basic math. If you do less than 7000 miles a year, or have been around less than 15 years, you will not have that many miles showing to fit the survey.

In your graphic, you have MINI, Porsche, Smart and Fiat at 0. We know there are Porsches out there with more than 180k on them. And the rest haven't been around long enough to rack up the miles (especially Smarts that are primarily city cars, so see way less than the industry average annual miles put on them, and have only been around a few years).

Your logic works for several examples (Mini, Smart, Fiat) and you make a good point with them.
It all falls apart for him because the cars he's referring aren't recently created, aren't city and aren't exotic. They're regular cars.

The Toyota trucks have been around for decades. So has Lexus.
Yet they're only at 22% making 180K despite having plenty of time.
There is no reason for them not to make it other than they just didn't.

It's not just Toyota. There isn't a single full line automaker that can make a legitimate claim of such longevity.

There are surely Porsches with high mileage but there are also a lot of Porsches that aren't driven much.
Porsche also has one of the highest percentages of all of its cars still on the road.
They are not daily driver cars like all of the Toyota examples. Zero is likely just rounding.

Last edited by eaton53; 05-26-2017 at 12:33 PM..

Old 05-26-2017, 12:53 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,058,915 times
Also worth noting that all miles are not equal. Someone could get long, good service with a car in the city, and not rack up a lot of miles. City driving is hard on a car all around.

My old Scirocco, I have driven more than 250K since I got it in about 2002. Lord only knows how many miles are on the body - as if that makes any difference. But I keep up with maintenance, good oil, good filters, maintain sharp tune so it's not misfiring. So many people won't spend any time or money on an old high-mile car.

Maintenance and conditions of service also matter a lot. A lot of people won't do their own maintenance and once a car gets good and old, they won't pay a shop either. So, self-fulfilling prophecy - they think the car is on it's last legs, and by skipping maintenance they make that so.

Then you have the rust belt, where a car rusts away in about 10 years regardless of miles.

Old 05-26-2017, 06:54 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,022,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Also worth noting that all miles are not equal. Someone could get long, good service with a car in the city, and not rack up a lot of miles. City driving is hard on a car all around.

My old Scirocco, I have driven more than 250K since I got it in about 2002. Lord only knows how many miles are on the body - as if that makes any difference. ....

Then you have the rust belt, where a car rusts away in about 10 years regardless of miles.
The local 'Bear Alignment Shop' was impressed that my 'Stealthrabbit' w/ 330,000 on the clock needed no steering components for it's last Alignment. (clock has been broken for over 20 yrs). My 70,000 mile 10 yr old Chrysler needed ball jts and 4 tie rod ends.

Old 05-26-2017, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
The local 'Bear Alignment Shop'
They still have those?
When I was in college, I worked as a 3rd shift security guard at Bear Manufacturing. That was one spooky place.

One night it caught on fire.
Fortunately it had just started so I unloaded several fire extinguishers on it and put it out.
All this excitement happened in the late 1970's. The factory closed a few years later.

Old 05-28-2017, 01:30 PM

14,466 posts, read 20,640,988 times
Mechanic friend at Honda told us that Hondas and Toyotas can reach a million miles if you keep them maintained. Oil, tires, all the basics.

Old 05-28-2017, 04:59 PM

9,500 posts, read 4,337,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentobox34 View Post
Here are 10 ideas from ABC Action News:
10 cars that seem to last forever

What do you think? I'm glad that my Toyota Camry (200k) is on the list, although towards the bottom. When that one gives up the ghost, I might go for a Honda Accord or a Lexus (if my income increases enough by then!). I'll pick a lightly used car with 10-20k and hope I can drive it at least 280,000 more!
Ford E-Series van.

Old 05-28-2017, 06:12 PM

421 posts, read 544,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
The local 'Bear Alignment Shop' was impressed that my 'Stealthrabbit' w/ 330,000 on the clock needed no steering components for it's last Alignment. (clock has been broken for over 20 yrs). My 70,000 mile 10 yr old Chrysler needed ball jts and 4 tie rod ends.
I was impressed, my VW Jetta Wagon never had an alignment issue up front. It did get aligned twice, but only due to either wheel bearings or clutch work.

Now the stupid rear beam axle bent over time, leading to 0.5 degree toe-in, and was one of the reasons I got rid of the car. Had to rotate every 3k or the tires would feather. I figured, between two fenders, a hatch, new injectors (stock PD injectors, their time had to be about due), windshield... Love the car but couldn't see dropping the money at the time (and I wasn't willing to learn how to work on the PD, and no long willing to drive to someone who could). Did hit 314k though.

Still miss that car at times.

Old 05-28-2017, 07:42 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,449,133 times
Anything with HEMI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive