Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 04:16 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,232,830 times

Advertisements

Thank You everyone, rep all around!!

It's a 2002 Ford Escape by the way, this problem didn't start until I replaced that positive terminal so maybe the cable itself drew a short just by moving it around, I don't know. I'm going to try the suggestions given to me though and see what I find out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 05:40 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
This is a pretty straightforward car, with very few "hot all the time" circuits that will most likely have the probem area:

The Heavy Red cable that goes from the Battery + terminal to the Starter Motor
The heavy wire leading to the alternator output + terminal

At the left front of the car, the power distribution box:

Fuse B, 120 amp
Fuse 11, 15 amp
Fuse 19, 40 amp

At the central junction box, the only wire that is "hot all the time" is the feed to the ignition switch,

Fuse 11, 10 amp.

You should be able to isolate these wires or fuses in turn and verify that you've located the circuit that's drawing the power.
If it is one of the major wires, then check the wire or verify that it's the component that has failed.

If the draw is on one of the hot all the time fuses, then you'll need to isolate what component or wiring is causing the problem. That will take knowing which fuse is the current draw fuse before further diagnosis.

Old 08-05-2012, 07:50 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,015,751 times
My 90 Tbird did that. I first replaced the battery with a new one & it still drained. I then replaced the alternator with a new one & the problem was fixed. I didnt need a new battery ($65.00 mistake). Lesson learned.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:08 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,445,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
Do you own a voltmeter?

You'll need to figure out where the drain is coming from. Remove the battery cable, hook the meter between cable and battery using the "10A" scale and socket, note the reading which will be far above the usual 50 milliamps, and then start pulling fuses. Once the reading drops dramatically, note the circut the fuse came from, and work from there. If it indicates a problem under the dash, well, best of luck to you.

Exactly. Good advice.

Another option is to us a hall-effect clamp-on current meter. My father bought a new Dodge wagon in '72... took a little while to determine the rear electric motor for the tailgate window had a rather nasty current leak....

You should be able to determine where the current drain is, hopefully in a relatively short time.

Not to totally digress, as it is unrelated, but another crappy thing to diagnose in the older cars is the the failed (internal) diodes in the alternator, as you had to open up the alternator. Not that hard, but takes some time.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:17 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Have you checked your alternator?
Exactly what I was going to say.

Especially if the battery will take a charge.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:10 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
It may be as simplle as a loose/ill fitting terminal connector. The the connector you just replaced is not making good contact (or if it is cheaply made) you will not get a good charge in the battery when you drive it. Go to an autozone, they will connect a tester that will check your battery as well as the charge coming from the alternator. They do it for free. Be sure they connect to the battery terminal and not to the terminal connector on the cable. If it says you bave a bad alternator, test at the alternator output before you replace it. If could be simply a dfective or loose cable or terminal.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:37 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
Be aware that, on newer vehicles, there is normally a small amount of "parasitic battery drain" and you probably have a constant amount of amperage draw from your battery all the time. This can be misleading when you see a slight spark at the negative battery cable when it is disconnected or reconnected. This constant battery drain is needed to run things that stay "hot" all the time in the vehicle, e.g., clocks, remote door openers, alarms, etc.

Your problem seems to be a greater than the normal parasitic drain, i.e., possibly a short in a circuit. Without specialty tools, you can check for a short by pulling fuses one at a time and watch the amperage draw on the battery. If you pull a fuse and the amperage draw decreases, you have the circuit that is shorting out.

First thing is to have your alternator checked. Most O'Reillys, Autozone and most decent auto shops can check the output on your alternator in the car for free.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:36 PM

10 posts, read 25,318 times
your positive cable goes to the starter check out the whole cable and see ifits cracked. theres a solenoid have you tried shorting it out to see if it well start. some vechs have a nuetral safety switch on the pedal and it goes bad or and dome light, radio and or ignition hope you find it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive