Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 04:49 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,141,637 times

Advertisements

I got oil change done a week ago at the local Toyota dealership. The service manager told me that the water pump is leaking, and will need to be replaced. He quoted $380 for the job.

1. Is the price OK?
2. Can I get the water pump replaced at an independent mechanic? How much will that cost?
3. If I do go the indy mechanic way, should I get Toyota OE water pump, or will a generic brand be Ok as well?
4. Can the water pump be repaired?

Car: Camry 2006
Mileage: 63,000 approx

5. Also, what will be the cost of changing the front brake pads? My car would soon need replacement of these as well.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 06:30 PM

17,210 posts, read 57,041,396 times
1 without knowing where you are I can't say if the price is reasonable or not - it's in the ballpark

2 an indy mechanic could very well do as good or better work for less than the dealer

3 I would go with the Toyota part.

4 In principle, a water pump could be repaired/rebuilt. In practice, no one does that as doing the repair would be difficult, any needed parts would have to be sourced from someone other than Toyota (good luck with that) and the replacement pumps are relatively cheap.

You do want to use the correct Toyota antifreeze and mix it with distilled water, BTW.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:06 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,200,415 times
If your car has an interference engine as many toyotas do I think the water pump is behind the timing belt so you for sure need to have it replaced at the same time. The price should include it as the belt only cost about 40 bucks.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:29 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,167,740 times
Cost me close to $500 for my xB at the dealer, and I have the same engine as you (assuming you have a 4 cylinder). So yeah, not a bad price at all.

Mike

Old 08-08-2012, 02:27 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
If your car has an interference engine as many toyotas do I think the water pump is behind the timing belt so you for sure need to have it replaced at the same time. The price should include it as the belt only cost about 40 bucks.
Most Toyotas now have timing chains..
As for the op's water pump that seems like very low mileage for the water pump to start leaking on a Camry., are you noticing any coolant on the ground after parked for a while? notice any wet areas around the front of the engine? smell any sweet smelling odors when driving?
I'd get a second opinion on that job if there arent any obvious signs of leakage.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:49 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,902,279 times
Bad water pumps are very common on this Generation of Camrys (Gen 5). I replaced mine at 45K. It was most likely leaking way before that. It was under warranty and Toyota said it wasn't leaking, but it was obvious from all of the white corrosion.

So a mechanic friend of mine replaced it for free. I bought a Gates water pump for $60. I didn't want to take a chance on another bad Toyota Pump--like I said it is very common problem.

Luckliy this car has a timing chain so the pump is outside the engine and is driven by the serpentine belt. Because the the serpentine belt has to come off anyway you may want to replace it--recommended replacement for the belt is 100K.

It's about an hour's work of labor. Go to an independent shop--don't let the dealership rip you off!

Old 08-08-2012, 06:17 PM

Also your coolant has to be drained and so you will need new coolant. Make sure you get the Pink stuff: Toyota Genuine Fluids: Type T-IV Antifreeze/coolant.

It's about $30 per gallon and that is all you should need. It's already premixed (the only way it is sold) so don't add any water.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:18 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,141,637 times
Thanks all for the information.

I am on the lookout for an indy mechanic to look into the issue.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
Cost me close to $500 for my xB at the dealer, and I have the same engine as you (assuming you have a 4 cylinder). So yeah, not a bad price at all.

Mike
Absolutely terrible price. It's a $60 part + $25 for coolant and 1 hour labor job, although most mechanics will charge 2 hours, but still you got ripped off!

Old 08-13-2012, 06:49 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,367,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvana07 View Post
I got oil change done a week ago at the local Toyota dealership. The service manager told me that the water pump is leaking, and will need to be replaced. He quoted $380 for the job.

1. Is the price OK?
2. Can I get the water pump replaced at an independent mechanic? How much will that cost?
3. If I do go the indy mechanic way, should I get Toyota OE water pump, or will a generic brand be Ok as well?
4. Can the water pump be repaired?

Car: Camry 2006
Mileage: 63,000 approx

5. Also, what will be the cost of changing the front brake pads? My car would soon need replacement of these as well.

Thanks
1. The price is about what a dealer is going to charge.
2. Yes, an independent mechanic can/will do it, and probably for less. Go by reputation, not advertising.
3. Get whatever brand you want, but get the lifetime warranted pump.
4. Technically, yes. Practically, no.
5. The pads cost anywhere from $15 per set to $75 per set. I like ceramic pads, and they'll probably set you back about $50. A decent, honest mechanic will only charge you about $50 (tops) labor to change the pads. It's a VERY easy job.

By the way, I thought Toyotas were never supposed to need repair...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion