Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 07:37 AM

35 posts, read 61,408 times

Advertisements

I own a 2005 malibu maxx with 85,000 miles. Many electrical problems since buying it new. The driver side mirror won't adjust, rear windshield wiper won't work, cd player won't eject disks, check gas cap comes on consistently.
These minor problems I can live with since the car is paid off but a couple of days ago I got stalled at a major intersection. Had to be pushed off the road. TC light came on and radio displayed "reduced engine power" After a few minutes it started and I was able to drive home.
Auto Zone checked computer but it was nonspecific to what was wrong.
Took to dealer and they could find nothing wrong.
My question, should I trade this in? I can't be stranded and worry constantly that I will break down possibly causing an accident.
Does it get to the point that I just have a bad car?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 07:53 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sateri View Post
I own a 2005 malibu with 85,000 miles.

Many electrical problems since buying it new.
Auto Zone checked computer but it was nonspecific to what was wrong.
Took to dealer and they could find nothing wrong.

My question, should I trade this in?
I can't be stranded and worry constantly...
Long story sort... it's time for YOU to get another car.
Private sale or trade and then the buy new or used are other questions.

Get it detailed, tighten and lube, do all the fluids and take a few pictures.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:58 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
You have a 7-year old car with about $1000 in problems. Do the repairs and a full tune up. Replace the following sensor:
Accelerator Pedal Position sensor. So basically keep the car.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:09 AM

Thanks for the replies. I really like this car except for it maybe being a death trap. I am a woman so I am concerned with getting stranded by myself.

I was reading another thread and it concerned stalling out on the road because of water vapor in gas tank, since I get "check gas cap" pretty frequently, do you think I could buy some gas treatment?

I will get the sensor replaced on pedal, just asking questions and hoping you kind people can help me.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:12 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,575,276 times
An 05 chevrolet with 85k miles that's giving you constant headaches? Sell it now while you still can. Avoid a trade-in as you will lose even more money. Opt for a private sale via craigslist.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:23 AM

I might have to do that deevel79 but I sure hate the thought of someone else having to contend with this problem.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:38 AM

Quote:
since I get "check gas cap" pretty frequently, do you think I could buy some gas treatment?

Clean the cap. If it doesn't resolve the problem, then the gasket on the cap is warped and the cap should be replaced. Again an easy DIY repair.

Quote:
I really like this car except for it maybe being a death trap
Cars have always stalled for numerous reasons. Nothing you have listed states that this car is "Death Trap". 85k miles is nothing in a 2000something car. The only expensive repair that may come up is that the fuel pump will need to be replaced. Both of my GM vehicles (business use) had theirs replaced at around 100k thanks to Ethanol, yet our Lexuses have gone over 200k without needing it to be done.

I had a friend make a comment a few months ago about "Death Trap", and I turned to him and stated "Don't worry we have airbags".

Old 08-08-2012, 08:47 AM

Maybe I over exaggerated using the term "death trap" Just concerned if I would be making a left hand turn in front of a semi and it stalls out, it could be a problem.

I do have air bags so I guess that would help. lol

Can't understand why dealer could not find problem though.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:51 AM

I did have the gas cap replaced when it started acting up, cost 100.00 to replace at the dealer. Still had the same problem, they said to bring it back when it has warning sign displayed but problem was that it was intermittent so they could not find a problem with it.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
I did have the gas cap replaced when it started acting up, cost 100.00 to replace at the dealer. Still had the same problem, they said to bring it back when it has warning sign displayed but problem was that it was intermittent so they could not find a problem with it.
$15 for the part and $85 for 10 minutes of labor: Change dealerships.

Next time you have it at the dealership, bring it in with less than 1/8 tank of gas and have them to a smoke test. There may be a bad tube above the gas tank. If it does fail they will need to drop the tank to get to it. While its dropped have them replace the pump and all the tubes between it and the gas cap.

Worst case you'll spend $2000 for all these repairs. Thats still better then dropping $30k on a new car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive