Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 08:25 PM

1,344 posts, read 4,762,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
If it were me i would just drill out the screw heads and forget them. The screws are just to hold the rotors in pace so a robot can mount the wheels in the factory. The lugs and nuts will hold the rotors in place when the wheels are on.
Yep. I didn't replace em after I drilled em out. Its nice having the rotors snug with the screw, but not necessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 07:11 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,181,103 times
Since this thread has so much good info about fixing this issue I am moving it to the Auto forum

Old 08-16-2012, 07:54 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,757,770 times
There is a tolol called "Easy Out" That sometimes works in this situation. Just follow the directions.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:56 AM

1,782 posts, read 3,277,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omlambu View Post
I have used a cold chisel and hammer in the past to back them out.
Ding Ding!

You are correct.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:14 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,943,221 times
I have seen it numerous times and just drill the screws out. If I have a spare I put it in because it makes it easier to have the rotor steady when working on brakes but the wheel holds the rotor when fully assembled so they are not a critical component.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:49 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,954,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Dave View Post
Ding Ding!

You are correct.
I bet I can drill the head off, then drive the bad threads right thru the harder hub faster than you can cold chisel out the softer screw shanks.

I'ld be all done with new screws installed before you would have the last chisel stroke done.

Of course i would have used a proper bit in a impact driver first, probably used Mr Hot wrench too, and never have stripped anything at all in the first place.

But I get paid to know that stuff.

I get paid great too and for when guys plain mess up like break exhaust studs with motor cycle head pipe flanges still in place with broken off EZ outs or drill bits also jammed in soft alloy heads.

I just wish i saved every one so far as it would make a great necklace.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:57 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,270,687 times
These stupid screws are so ridiculous...especially if you don't have the right tools.

I used an Impact Screwdriver after spraying them with PBblaster. Even stripped, with a couple of whacks they were loose.

Needless to say you don't have to replace the screws when you put the new rotors on.

...But Mac_Muz already said as much.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:10 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,865,188 times
Hey Mac. Good to see you on here.

Why the hell would anyone go to all the trouble of chiseling, grinding a slot or using an easy out?

Just drill the heads off, take the rotor off and most likely you can remove the remainder of the screw with your fingers. If not, then use a pair of pliers.

If you've got new replacement screws, use 'em. If not, it will work just fine without them.

Old 08-16-2012, 05:13 PM

3,464 posts, read 4,834,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
Hey Mac. Good to see you on here.

Why the hell would anyone go to all the trouble of chiseling, grinding a slot or using an easy out?
Because some of us are OCD and can't sleep at night knowing screws with the heads drilled off are still in there. lol
Besides that, with the right tool (impact driver), I can have them out before you even get the drill bit in your drill.

Old 08-16-2012, 05:24 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,954,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
Because some of us are OCD and can't sleep at night knowing screws with the heads drilled off are still in there. lol
Besides that, with the right tool (impact driver), I can have them out before you even get the drill bit in your drill.
yeah yeah but you forgot the name of the blasted tool, and it too me to say it..

For those who would loose sleep either take a pill or install new screws with ANTI SEIZE!

I never did know if the head was so buggered no bit would fit, or iof the threads were simply spinning on the hub. Either way you drill off the screw head.

And only if you strip something first.

Hi Gimmie...... Winter was a little longer this past one...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive