Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 09:59 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,309,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
The Army taught me about little helicopters and 6 cylinder opposed engines.
Piston helos? Were you working on the H-34's or Flying Bananas? That was a while ago!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 01:51 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
Piston helos? Were you working on the H-34's or Flying Bananas? That was a while ago!
In the Navy I worked on HRS-3 and HSS-1 (H-19 and H-34) helicopters. (Sikorsky S-55 and S-58)
In the Army we had OH-23G helicopters (Hiller UH-12E). I can't say we "worked" on them, because the Army detailer stuck me in an Organizational Maintenance unit, and we were not allowed to "work" on them! we were glorified service station attendants!
Yes, it was "quite a while ago":
Navy: 1959-1962
Army: 1963-1966

Old 08-15-2016, 02:14 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,675,888 times
I think I was born with mechanical aptitude. I got my first socket set when I was about 10 years old. Started messing with the lawnmower, then my first car, then boats. Made plenty of mistakes...the one I remember best was the time I changed the points in my mother's '50 Pontiac straight 8. Somehow I grounded them out and the thing wouldn't start to save my life. Luckily, I worked at a gas station at the time and I talked one of the guys into coming to the house to look at it. He got it fired up in about 3 minutes and nobody was the wiser. Mom used to brag to her friends what a fine mechanic I was...LOL.

The most important lesson I ever learned was to NOT force anything when taking something apart (or putting something together). If it won't go...FIGURE OUT WHY it won't go...don't just grab a bigger hammer!

Old 08-15-2016, 07:12 PM

3,366 posts, read 1,605,792 times
No way car54, when I did maintenance for FedEx, my B.F.H. was my go to tool!

Old 08-18-2016, 03:39 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,625,759 times
The first thing I tell anyone is to get a basic tool kit, find a cheap car on Craigslist and take it apart. Bonus points if you could sell some of the parts. You could try to put it back together, but just tallying it apart will teach you so much.

Some people say they got their start with small engines. They would buy, fix and sell mowers, chainsaws etc.

YouTube is amazing for repair videos. I watch a few before I start any job, 1A auto has a great YouTube channel.

Old 04-20-2017, 01:19 AM

1 posts, read 1,002 times
i just started a forklift job, and I dont have any clue about forklifts. Whats the best way and quickest wasy to learn about them

Help me,

fake it til i make it

Old 04-20-2017, 05:45 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,246,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fake it til i make it View Post
i just started a forklift job, and I dont have any clue about forklifts. Whats the best way and quickest wasy to learn about them

Help me,

fake it til i make it
Google

Old 04-20-2017, 05:45 AM

3,507 posts, read 764,833 times
youtube videos .

Old 04-20-2017, 06:15 PM

8,553 posts, read 10,978,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
Start by going outside and disassembling your car down to the last nut and bolt and reverse the process to put it back together.
That is exactly how I learned mechanics.
When I was a kid, even before I had my license, my dad bought an old junk Chevrolet(1947 coupe), parked it in the garage, and help me tear it done to bare bones, including most of the engine.
Her said if I was going to own a car, then I had better learn all about them.
When finished, he said, "Now son, put it back together."
Took me about four days, and only had to get his help a couple of times.
Now, THAT was an education.

I learned what makes a vehicle run, and better yet, what makes a vehicle not run.

Been working on my vehicles ever since, and I recently turned 78.
It isn't that I am cheap, and can't afford someone working on my vehicles, but I really enjoy crawling under and fixing what ever needs fixing.

Bob.

Old 04-23-2017, 04:23 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,064,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I want to teach myself how to fix/repair all sorts of motorized vehicles from sedans, to boats, to jet skis, to diesel, heck even hovercraft if applicable. I want to get to the point where I can actually bootleg a motorized vehicle out of seemingly irrelevant and random parts I find lying around anywhere in MacGuyver-esque style. I would even like to move onto to flying vehicles too. I wish to accomplish this without having to spend money on a school. How shall I go about? What are the first steps, then second to last steps I must take?

You need to make friends with someone who can show you, not having your location in your profile doesn't help you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive