Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 03:18 PM

17,307 posts, read 22,039,209 times

Advertisements

I only get apprehensive about selling a good car with the chance that I might be making payments on one that is less reliable! My wife has lemon lawed 4 cars in 12 years, all were over 50K in price. One was more of a dealer misrepresentation (brand new car was in an accident, dealer never disclosed) but the other 3 were "tow truck" nightmares.

I wouldn't own a car that I didn't have complete faith in driving across country at a moments notice so if I have had it for years, put miles on it then it is a good car so that I would miss. If the car was troublesome I would just trade out of it. I saw a truck identical to one I sold last year (170K+ miles, bought it new in 03) and asked my wife/kids if they miss the old truck.........universal answer: NO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 04:14 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I have missed cars I have owned and sold/replaced. But it would be impossible for me to miss an Explorer. Sorry.
Yeah, that's what so kooky about it.

As to why with only 67k...well, it isn't much mileage, but it's old enough that little things are starting to fail...it's not a car I'd take on a long trip and feel good about anymore, and my wife (who is normally VERY circumspect about spending money) isn't tolerant of a breakdown.

Old 08-19-2012, 04:33 PM

929 posts, read 2,723,462 times
I think you miss a vehicle if you have it over a long time period, a lot of life happens over 10 years.
I have seen many Explorers with 250K plus miles, still driven daily.
Nice thing about them, parts are plentiful and somewhat cheap, and almost any shop can fix them.

Old 08-19-2012, 04:58 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
My 10 year old (02) Explorer just turned 75,000 miles. No problems so far, just new tires and brakes. It's garaged all the time and gets it's regular maintenance check-up, looks and runs like new. I guess it should last another 10 years before selling it.
OP are there some special memories as the reason to parting with it. Did a child get conceived in the back seat or something... j/k

Old 08-20-2012, 04:49 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
If you have a really good mechanic, you could just let him go over the Explorer, if you catch up all the maintenance it should be quite reliable, really.

That and get AAA or similar towing - no car is 100% reliable. I have been running older cars for the 21 years I have been driving about 40 miles one way to work - I do the maintenance on them myself, and have only needed a tow 2 or 3 times in the 21 years.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:37 AM
lgt

469 posts, read 1,342,200 times
I've never felt that way about a car other than ones I've crashed. The differance for me may be that when I decide to get rid of a car it's because I'm bored with it or it has a ton of miles and needs or will need a lot of work.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:14 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
I have always missed my vehicles when they go. Even ones I was glad to get rid of, I was also somewhat sad to see an end ot a particular era of my life. Lots of great memories tied to every car I have owned, good or POS. In fact, the POS cars sometime evoke more discussions of memories "Rememebr when your sunbird caught on fire again in the Colorado mountains?" "Remember when both rotors and both drums shattered at the same time when you slammed on the brakes that one time?"

Rememebr needing two people to drive in the winter so one culd continually scrape the frost off the inside of the windshiled (VW - no heat).

"Or what about the old Camaro with no floorboards where you could look down and see the raod going by underneath?"

Althoguh some of htem were not good cars, they still had some great memories of trips, escapades, adventures, breakdowns all kinds of things.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:28 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,667,441 times
... '67 Mustage

Nothing more to say about that, except that it was red.

Old 08-21-2012, 04:25 PM

8,553 posts, read 10,975,842 times
I have had many cars over the years, and as much as I loved them all, there is but one that I wish I had never sold, and to this day, wish I had not been so impulsive about selling it.
It was my 1978 Continental Mark v Custom,Diamond Jubilee Edition.
I owned it for almost 20 years, and to this day I kick myself for parting with it.

Bob.

Old 08-21-2012, 05:58 PM

393 posts, read 1,202,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
What is wrong with me?

Anyone else ever tear up about a car?
I bawled like a baby when I sold my last car. I replaced it with a nicer car, but it was still difficult. In no time I fell in love with the new car. I don't give the old car any thought whatsoever. Hang in there. I'm sure you'll stop grieving in no time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive