Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 03:50 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,090,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolling_Rock View Post
nonsense - its NOT slow - the miata will BEST (meaning FASTEST) nearly ANY car on the road around a bend hands down.

Too bad people today think fast means 'drag racing' - real driving invovles turns, a good 4cyl roadster has alwas been the best (fastest) at this...

If you think the miata is slow you are hitting the brakes too much! Try driving a miata without hitting the brake pedal, then try to call it slow...
You seem a bit dim. The S2000 and Miata are great cars but they don't meet all of my required criteria.

"It's slow and I've been a fan for years. The Miata is even worse but I like it too. I agree that they are both razor sharp in the corners but unfortunately I daily drive my cars so a good balance between straight line acceleration and handling is paramount. I'm also fan of feeling the rush of acceleration out of the apex and neither car can do that with any gusto (although they can enter the corner without bleeding off as much speed)."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 03:54 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,016,915 times
Quote:
90-93 MAZDA MIATA - best bang for the buck, PERIOD!

Old 08-22-2012, 03:58 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,274,779 times
Actually an S2000 or Miata isn't bad. Especially if you have 25k sitting around.

S2000s prices are a bit inflated, Miatas are a bit, especially in California, but still good deals. A 04-07 AP2 you could probably get for around 15k. Throw on a Vortech SC and H/E clutch with tune and you'll be around 350-400hp for about $7-9k.

2800/400hp+ and you're in almost in Z06 territory.

Shoehorn an LS3 in a $3000 NA Miata and if you can get traction you'll beat ZR1s .

But in their stock forms both of the above are very fun. Or if you want to stretch your budget a bit you could get this:

The World's Fastest Lotus? - YouTube

Old 08-22-2012, 03:59 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,016,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
While those power numbers are possible and on an otherwise stock block, it requires a lot of supporting mods to the car and access to a very good tuner. Also, given the status of many of the current 2.7T cars out there, most builds to get that kind of power are going to start with a tear down of the engine to address various seal and gasket issues. Then they need to dig into the transmission, especially if it is an automatic car.

While you can make serious power, most of those cars don't return it well in performance. You have the issue of weight, but also the amount of power sapped through the quattro system, which some good Audi tuners have pegged to be in the 20% realm. So, 400 at the crank ends up being ~320 at the tires and in the case of the S4, that's in a 3,600 pound car, or in the case of the A6 a 4,000 pound car. You end up after all of that investment, netting a car that pretty much runs with stock Mustang GT's and F-bodies.

There are some truly nasty 2.7T cars out there, but they have extensive work done and most of them are gutted to get the weight down. The fastest I've ever seen was AWE Tunings project car and with well over $25k into it, the best they could pull was high-11's in the quarter mile. If ultimate performance is the goal a stock C5 Z06 Vette can do the same and cost less money. A good 2.7T build can be a great street/highway car, but it's not a drag racer.

Very good point.

Old 08-22-2012, 04:02 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,497,690 times
Quote:
nonsense - its NOT slow - the miata will BEST (meaning FASTEST) nearly ANY car on the road around a bend hands down.

Too bad people today think fast means 'drag racing' - real driving invovles turns, a good 4cyl roadster has alwas been the best (fastest) at this...

If you think the miata is slow you are hitting the brakes too much! Try driving a miata without hitting the brake pedal, then try to call it slow...
You probally should qualify your statements with maybe something like talking about in a certain price range.. Because while the Miata is certainly a fun, good handling car that can be just about as quick as many other much higher HP cars on road courses that don't have MUCH of a straight, saying something like "real driving invovles turns, a good 4cyl roadster has alwas been the best (fastest) at this..." is a lil over the top.. Obviously a real performance car like a good Porsche or Ferrari, Viper or even a big boat like a CTSV etc. will smoke the Miata in those situations as well with similar drivers... For more $$$$ of course though...

Old 08-22-2012, 04:19 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,497,690 times
Nice timing BTW.. A LIL over 25K though.

AUTOS: Mazda Unveils Miata Racecar

Old 08-22-2012, 05:20 PM

51 posts, read 149,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
You seem a bit dim. The S2000 and Miata are great cars but they don't meet all of my required criteria.

"It's slow and I've been a fan for years. The Miata is even worse but I like it too. I agree that they are both razor sharp in the corners but unfortunately I daily drive my cars so a good balance between straight line acceleration and handling is paramount. I'm also fan of feeling the rush of acceleration out of the apex and neither car can do that with any gusto (although they can enter the corner without bleeding off as much speed)."

YOU seem a bit dim actually. I think an SUV meets your criteria -

Stick a turbo in a miata - what more do you want? 300hp in a 2,000 car = your power requirement..
And the miatas handling takes care of your 'sideways' requirement.

You know what - get a lambrogini. Thats my recommendation for you

Old 08-22-2012, 05:22 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,090,043 times
Quote:
YOU seem a bit dim actually. I think an SUV meets your criteria -

Stick a turbo in a miata - what more do you want? 300hp in a 2,000 car = your power requirement..
And the miatas handling takes care of your 'sideways' requirement.

You know what - get a lambrogini. Thats my recommendation for you
LOL. Nice childish retort. No yourrree the idiot!

Most SUV's certainly don't have a good balance of power/handling and generally fall into the poor handling along with poor power category. The kinds of cars that meet my criteria are the cars that I've owned. In order, 1995 Nissan 300ZX TT, 2003 Infiniti G35, 2007 BMW 530i, 2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe RSPEC. They won't out handle an S2000 on a tight technical track but that was never the argument.

Old 08-22-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
You probally should qualify your statements with maybe something like talking about in a certain price range.. Because while the Miata is certainly a fun, good handling car that can be just about as quick as many other much higher HP cars on road courses that don't have MUCH of a straight, saying something like "real driving invovles turns, a good 4cyl roadster has alwas been the best (fastest) at this..." is a lil over the top.. Obviously a real performance car like a good Porsche or Ferrari, Viper or even a big boat like a CTSV etc. will smoke the Miata in those situations as well with similar drivers... For more $$$$ of course though...

My Chevy Astro-Van has 2X the horsepower of my miata. But the miata is faster.

HP is part marketing and part band-aid for weak insecure egos.

The OPs question is dumb - if you want the most horse power then get a 800HP Ferrari -- MINDLESS question. However if you want the BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK roadsters like the s2000, miata, MR2 spyder, and Lotus deliver the best value.

Otherwise pick whattteeever car you like and sitck a generic 5.0 in it and turbo-charge it, big-toe, woo hoo!

Old 08-22-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
LOL. Nice childish retort. No yourrree the idiot!

question, is this REALLY about 'horesepower' or are there other... 'male issues' going on?

tell the truth

This question is kind of like asking which penis pump gives the best results -- duh, the bigger one.

get a car with a big engine and turbo/super it, there problem solved!

real cars are about balance - and as youve been TOLD, s2000, miata, lotus, etc are the best values for REAL sports car enthusiasts

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive