U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-22-2012, 11:33 PM
 
2,632 posts, read 6,526,426 times
Reputation: 1407

Advertisements

What skill/skills does an automotive technician need to possess to make him invaluable or more valuable then other technicians to an employer?

Is there any specific skills that an autotechnician can posess that will make him highly in demand or very sought after by employees?

An example would be strong knowledge in electronics and drivability

Thanks for any input.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-23-2012, 12:21 PM
 
4,761 posts, read 13,108,220 times
Reputation: 7927
New cars can have up to 70 different computer modules and 3 computer local area networks.

Automatic transmissions are electronically controlled.

Modern engines have all sorts of electronic sensors feeding into an engine computer.

And something like A/C, that may have a computer module which talks to the engine computer module via a local area network. When A/C is turned on, a message is sent to the engine computer - the engine computer increases idle. Or if you are passing someone and need a lot of momentary engine power, then engine computer will temporarily shut down the A/C.

These computers need to be connected to the factory computer network for software upgrades and troubleshooting...

Best to know ALL about this stuff!

Here is a sample...
http://www.acdelcotechconnect.com/pdf/imtn_V16I209.pdf

A good general book on this...
Automotive Electrics and Automotive Electronics,Completely Revised and Extended (Bosch Handbooks (REP)): Robert Bosch GmbH: 9780470519370: Amazon.com: Books
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2012, 12:34 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX USA
5,249 posts, read 11,996,627 times
Reputation: 8192
Experence. You can have all the certifications in the world, but if you have no "real world" experience, your going to the bottom of the list
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2012, 12:47 PM
 
1,977 posts, read 7,335,804 times
Reputation: 1160
Some of the most important "skills" you need are to be a good problem solver. You need to be able to think outside the box and be able to diagnose/resolve complicated issues quickly. Computers, shop manuals and diagtools can remind you of many things you dont need to remember but having the mind to be able to bring mechanical, electrical, and software related issues together will put you above another potential candidates.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2012, 12:49 PM
 
14,781 posts, read 40,306,070 times
Reputation: 14548
Experience, definitely experience. After that strong diag skills, which oddly enough go along with experience, would be one of the more sought after areas. Anyone can sling parts or hook up a computer, the guy who can quickly figure out what is actually wrong is the one who is most sought after.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2012, 01:03 PM
 
3,184 posts, read 6,595,609 times
Reputation: 1818
To make money you have to make the employer money. Almost all mechanics are paid by the job and not by the hour. They get paid on commission with the employer getting up to 60% and the mechanic 40%. Plenty of shops will give a guy a shot but in several days if he isnt performing he is out the door and what kind of training he has dont mean squat at this point.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2012, 05:20 PM
 
2,632 posts, read 6,526,426 times
Reputation: 1407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
New cars can have up to 70 different computer modules and 3 computer local area networks.

Automatic transmissions are electronically controlled.

Modern engines have all sorts of electronic sensors feeding into an engine computer.

And something like A/C, that may have a computer module which talks to the engine computer module via a local area network. When A/C is turned on, a message is sent to the engine computer - the engine computer increases idle. Or if you are passing someone and need a lot of momentary engine power, then engine computer will temporarily shut down the A/C.

These computers need to be connected to the factory computer network for software upgrades and troubleshooting...

Best to know ALL about this stuff!

Here is a sample...
http://www.acdelcotechconnect.com/pdf/imtn_V16I209.pdf

A good general book on this...
Automotive Electrics and Automotive Electronics,Completely Revised and Extended (Bosch Handbooks (REP)): Robert Bosch GmbH: 9780470519370: Amazon.com: Books
Thanks this is exactly the information I am looking for..
I'm going to get that book a.s.a.p
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2012, 05:23 PM
 
2,632 posts, read 6,526,426 times
Reputation: 1407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Experence. You can have all the certifications in the world, but if you have no "real world" experience, your going to the bottom of the list
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRiguez View Post
Some of the most important "skills" you need are to be a good problem solver. You need to be able to think outside the box and be able to diagnose/resolve complicated issues quickly. Computers, shop manuals and diagtools can remind you of many things you dont need to remember but having the mind to be able to bring mechanical, electrical, and software related issues together will put you above another potential candidates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Experience, definitely experience. After that strong diag skills, which oddly enough go along with experience, would be one of the more sought after areas. Anyone can sling parts or hook up a computer, the guy who can quickly figure out what is actually wrong is the one who is most sought after.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
To make money you have to make the employer money. Almost all mechanics are paid by the job and not by the hour. They get paid on commission with the employer getting up to 60% and the mechanic 40%. Plenty of shops will give a guy a shot but in several days if he isnt performing he is out the door and what kind of training he has dont mean squat at this point.

The ability to diagnose and make the employer money efficiently basically.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2012, 05:33 PM
 
1,977 posts, read 7,335,804 times
Reputation: 1160
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
To make money you have to make the employer money. Almost all mechanics are paid by the job and not by the hour. They get paid on commission with the employer getting up to 60% and the mechanic 40%. Plenty of shops will give a guy a shot but in several days if he isnt performing he is out the door and what kind of training he has dont mean squat at this point.
/slightlyofftopic

I haven't turned a wrench for pay in over 20 years. Is this still the norm across the country? The few mechs I know personally here in NJ are salary.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2012, 08:03 PM
 
3,184 posts, read 6,595,609 times
Reputation: 1818
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRiguez View Post
/slightlyofftopic

I haven't turned a wrench for pay in over 20 years. Is this still the norm across the country? The few mechs I know personally here in NJ are salary.
As far as I know the dealers have always worked this way. Places like pep boys and some of the tire shops and muffler shops that also do general repairs most likely do pay by the hour but highly skilled auto techs may be hard to find working at these places not to say many dont do good work at a good price.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:57 AM.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top