Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 09:32 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Yeah...I don't get how taking my car to have its oil changed, something most people do instead of doing it themselves, translates to it being MY fault that my car is damaged.

Anyway, something changed today...the alarm indicator on the dashboard now blinks whenever the car is parked and the engine is turned off. That wasn't happening last week. I still can't set the alarm.

I also can't find any pump or hose or any anything having to do with the wiper fluid reservoir. I can find the top of it to fill it, but that's it. When I try to use the wiper fluid, the wipers go back and forth and it hums like it's TRYING to pump fluid, but nothing comes out.
If it is humming, the pump is running. For some reason, it is not getting fluid. It ocould be a plugged or kinked hose or hose disconnected (or your resevoir is empty). Stop using it until you find where the hose is not connected. Running the pump when dry will eventually break it.

If you cannto find it, ask someone who knows even a little bit about cars. Surely there is someone at work or school who will give you ten minutes to look at it during lunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 10:45 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
If it is humming, the pump is running. For some reason, it is not getting fluid. It ocould be a plugged or kinked hose or hose disconnected (or your resevoir is empty). Stop using it until you find where the hose is not connected. Running the pump when dry will eventually break it.

If you cannto find it, ask someone who knows even a little bit about cars. Surely there is someone at work or school who will give you ten minutes to look at it during lunch.
Thanks for the response...I don't know you and I'm trying very hard not to be offended...I don't know anything about cars, but that does not translate into me being retarded or helpless.

Thanks.

Old 08-29-2012, 01:18 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Thanks for the response...I don't know you and I'm trying very hard not to be offended...I don't know anything about cars, but that does not translate into me being retarded or helpless.

Thanks.

I think that you are misinterpreting the advice from ColdJensens, as it was very practical.
In light of the fact that you told us that you know nothing about cars, I think that there is no reason for you to be insulted by his well-intentioned advice.

Old 08-30-2012, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post

I think that you are misinterpreting the advice from ColdJensens, as it was very practical.
In light of the fact that you told us that you know nothing about cars, I think that there is no reason for you to be insulted by his well-intentioned advice.

Sorry; at the time I was also on a 2.5 hour teleconference with a client who kept talking to me like I was an idiot. I was primed to be annoyed.

So far though I haven't really gotten any practical advice other than check the hoses/connections that I can't find on my wiper fluid reservoir, and no advice on the alarm...and some blame for taking the car to a shop to have the oil changed.

Am somewhat discouraged.

Old 08-30-2012, 05:31 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
So far though I haven't really gotten any practical advice other than check the hoses/connections that I can't find on my wiper fluid reservoir, and no advice on the alarm...and some blame for taking the car to a shop to have the oil changed.

Actually, somebody did offer the opinion that the alarm may have been put into valet mode, and I think that this possibility is worth pursuing.
Have you read the section of your Owner's Manual regarding the alarm, and how to set/un-set its valet mode?

Old 08-30-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Actually, somebody did offer the opinion that the alarm may have been put into valet mode, and I think that this possibility is worth pursuing.
Have you read the section of your Owner's Manual regarding the alarm, and how to set/un-set its valet mode?
Sorry, I meant to address this last week but forgot.

I looked into it, scoured my owner's manual, and googled the heck out of it...I can find no such setting anywhere for my car.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:51 AM

Update:

YES, the oil change is what caused the problem. Not the changing of the oil itself, but the idiot mechanic who left a large tool in my engine compartment, slammed the hood shut, and caused the hood to be misaligned to the point where the rubber bumpers would not line up properly on the sensors.

I took the car to a local mechanic/auto shop who was highly recommended by others living in the area. I was in and out in five minutes and he didn't even charge me for the repair. I'll definitely be using THEM for oil changes and inspections from now on.

The windshield wiper line was also clogged but seemed to unclog itself after a while.

Old 10-06-2012, 11:48 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,428,441 times
Interesting.

Glad you got it figured out, BigDGeek. Sounds like a good new mechanic to have as well.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Interesting.

Glad you got it figured out, BigDGeek. Sounds like a good new mechanic to have as well.
Indeed! I wanted to post the resolution here just in case anyone ever has a similar issue...might save them some aggro.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:52 AM

654 posts, read 3,456,766 times
Quote:
Indeed! I wanted to post the resolution here just in case anyone ever has a similar issue...might save them some aggro.
Glad you got the problem resolved. Some so-called mechanics tend to be very careless when it comes to clean up and leaving their tools behind like that. I work on my own cars and sometimes even I leave a wrench sitting somewhere, but usually catch it before I close the hood.

Good thing you found a good mechanic....those you keep, as its very difficult to find anyone reliable nowadays. And as for the windshield washer fluid its good to run it from time to time to keep debris out of the lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive